Old 03-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Originally Posted by AKristine View Post
. . . If you don't mind me asking,what was it about the 16 foot that got you to purchase it? I am in the research mode and want to end up making the right decision. K
The 16' Wee Wind is the most original late 1940's Airsteam I've ever seen, so I purchased it to preserve it more than use it for long term camping. It is a hard-sided tent with cold running water only after you attach a garden hose, with an ice box only after you have replenished the large block of ice every day or so, and with an unvented interior butane heater that I've never lit. When I use it, I adopt myself to the trailer rather than adopting it to me, so use is occasional and primarily in the summer when I show it at vintage Airsteam events such as this one (once there, select Airstreams (06:24):

Vintage Colorado : Rocky Mountain PBS

The trailer I use for camping is the 1953 21' Flying Cloud, which has been upgraded from original with modern conveniences such as a larger propane-electric refrigerator, a pressurized water system with water heater, toilet and shower, and a cross-ways rear double bed onto which stuff can be tossed to get it out of sight during the daytime. The 21' length is ideal as it provides enough living and storage space while retaining a small agile footprint.

Back to sinks to emphasize an important point made by Janet and others: a typical RV double sink to too small to lay or stack dinner plates flat in the bottom of either half, whereas a single RV sink is usually large enough to accomplish this goal. Soap 'em up, mist them off, and air dry them in a dish rack makes for happy camping.

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Lots of energy on this in a number of posts. I've seen some posts where people rave over the double sinks. My new trailer has the single large sink. It's awesome. I can even get the BBQ grill in it. Think it saves space and when it's covered I have a fair amount of countertop.

"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
East Falmouth , Massachusetts
Hello everyone -- !
On my way home from Boston today, I stopped into Colonial Airstream again to see the inside of a few Airstreams but mostly to check out the round sinks in real time. I didn't have much time on this occasion. The round sinks are deep, large and look great...much bigger than I thought from sites on the Internet! I really appreciate all of your comments, observations, etc., thank you. This forum is terrific and I'm so glad I joined. Now I can put aside the sink issue and continue to consider size, plus front bedroom versus rear -- my next thread!

All good wishes!

AKristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Originally Posted by AKristine View Post
front bedroom versus rear -- my next thread!

All good wishes!

That's been asked a couple times.

Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote