Old 04-05-2003, 11:08 AM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Dodged the bullet again!

Well we are headed out in a couple of hours to bring the Safari out of its inside winter storage. As it ended up we lucked out on our timing. We had some pretty severe thunderstorms pass through the metro area yesterday afternoon. My neighbor next door called to let me know that golf ball sized hail passed through the storage facility where his son keeps his SOB. As it ends up the hail pummeled the side of his trailer and also shattered all three of the plastic domes on his crank up vents. My summer storage location is about 5 miles north so I feel pretty lucky on this one.

I dodged the storms two years ago when softball size hail hit the metro area and the local Airstream dealer. Thankfully my Safari was still in construction at Jackson Center. It was delivered two weeks thereafter.

I didn't seem to worry much about hail until I got the A/S.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 11:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
My sentiments exactly!

Quote:
I didn't seem to worry much about hail until I got the A/S.
Never much paid attention to it before we got Maxwell...now AAAARRRGH! So far so good ~

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 01:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Not only Airstreams are susceptable

I went through a 2 1/2" hard hailstorm in my old TrailManor at the TM National Rally in Rapid City, SD. The radio kept saying to get away from glass, so I crawled into my TravSak and pulled it over my head.

The sound was like being in a closet and having someone beating on the door with a baseball bat. Luckily, my vent covers survived although the A/C cover was shattered. Trailers all around me had lost their vent covers. I counted over 130 major dents in the top of my trailer. I was the only one in my row not to lose my windshield because I had backed in preparing to leave the next morning rather than pulling forward in to the site like everyone else.

Insurance replaced the tops of my trailer at a cost of over $8000 and another $2500 to fix the truck. BTW, the insurance carrier was USAA and they treated me great (as they should after 50 years).
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 01:22 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Strangely enough, I have never seen hail that big. My A/S isn't worth so much that I would be terribly disappointed but I would prefer to avoid it.

Isn't there an easy way to prevent this problem? Park under trees maybe? Cover it up with something?
Old 04-06-2003, 02:46 PM   #5

Fenton , Missouri
Ideally we would all park under some covered storage but that's not the reality so we take our lumps when they come. On the road is another thing and I've been in a good hail storm when I had my old Hi-Lo back in the early 80's. I got off the interstate and found a gravel lot with a tree that I pulled under. Still got some roof dings but not enough to warrant repair. Insurance gave me $1,400 which I divided to pay some of the loan on the trailer and to purchase an air conditioner which I self installed.

A lot of folks tend to cluster under overpasses for protection but I'd rather get off the Interstate than take the chance of getting rear ended. I may get more damage that way but hail in most cases won't kill me.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 04-06-2003, 08:07 PM   #6

Has anybody seen the trailer that Paul Sherry (OH), had been advertising for months as "slight hail damage"? (you should see the right side of the roof)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hail_roof .jpg
Views:	299
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1908  
Old 04-06-2003, 09:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

missed me too

jack,
we, unfortunately store our MH outdoors. Had golf ball size hail last Friday at home (about three miles from storage lot) and I had the MH scheduled to be in a show on Saturday afternoon.
Missed our storage lot luckily and the show went great...

Had over three hundred people go through the MH during the event. Heard all the usual questions and comments..."now this is camping", "so what king of mpg does this thing get?", "Ive always wanted to have one of these", "This is what all other campers try to be". It really made me feel great to have such a valuble piece of Americana to share with all the people that came through.
The event was sponsored by my employer to let kids and "kids at heart" see and climb into police vehicles, helicopters, cars, boats, tractors, fire trucks, race cars, motorcycles, construction equipment, etc. We had about 500 people at the event.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:02 AM   #8

Fenton , Missouri
Here is a picture of an A/S hit by the April 2001 storm in St. Louis. Softball sized hail broke out all of the streetside windows on this unit. I took this picture up at the dealers on the day my Safari was delivered.

Jack
Attached Images

AIR #56
Old 04-08-2003, 01:10 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Wow! Thanks for the pics.