Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #21
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
I love this Idea I would love to load up my Bike up and head to the black

hills. there would be nothing better the a day of riding around up there

and then come back to my Airstream and enjoy a evening around a small

camp fire Now that's a Vacation!

I think i would want a 20 to 22 ft er but if moneys NO concern then 25-28

ft er. is what i would go for

Safari62 i hate to be rude but your a downer towards motorcyclist. you complain about hearing a loud bike ride by and the pissy look on there face who cares what they look like and what maybe 30 seconds to a minute you here the bike come and go.
when you drive by road work that's a lot louder and more annoying.

And i would say a Harley Trimed hauler from Airstream would work and sale Black Orange and Aluminum would be cool real cool
the only problem would be the price tag.
I really have never seen a guy dressed like a pirate no big hat parrot on there shoulder abd bad teeth.
I'm really ranting and i dont want to be that guy but your way off base and wrong here
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #22
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
I think a Baby Panamerica (or using Apple lingo) Panamini, or Pananano could be a really neat solution for both a lighter tow vehicle and price tag - while still having the Airstream experience and not giving up the amenities.

I'm thinking if you incorporated the Panamerica liftgate into something even as short as a 19-22' trailer, the living space could mostly be clustered forward of the axle, with some sparse storage. Maybe you could still sleep 2-4, have your bath/shower and kitchen - and find the right balance to have it all.

As I imagine things, to get ready for traveling you'd pull up a thin strip running down the center of the floor, revealing a floor channel designed right into the frame, to contain dirt or the occasional oil drip. D-hooks (with slick built-in retractable ratchet straps, of course) would be located along the upper walls on ribs to secure your toy, which is as close to centered over the axle as possible.

So your motorcycle / ATV / Vespa / mobility scooter now rides inside, balanced and secure. When you arrive at the campsite... you just retract the wall straps, roll your toy outside, reinsert your wooden floor strip and close the door to reclaim your traditional, fully-functional trailer.

What do ya think - crazy?

this is really cool good job
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Airstreams and Motorcycles

bredlo-Great concept! It might work for a smaller mc like 550-600 lbs, but I suspect would be next to impossible for a Harley Road King (800-900 lbs).

Slip7- I think- you realize that taking your RK is overkill and not gonna happen unless you have a TV like 2Wheelin and a way to load the beast. Just take the ZX-6R. This will be enough of a challange.

Safari62- Neat cartoon, I like this very much. I think you have lumped all the Harley bikers into one camp. I have done a lot of riding and I put the Harley crowd into two different camps. The first camp is just Harley riders; no other mc exists. These guys will not wave to you. They are also fair weather riders and don't ride very far- just restaurant or beer joint to the same and they are real tough cuz they drink and then ride. These guys won't be a problem at the cg because they don't camp. Slip7 fits into the other camp- he is a motorcyclist that just happens to ride a Harley. They also ride a lot, ride long distances and in most any weather and may camp or motel it. I think you would be fine with this crowd camping next to you; I know that I would.

My main ride is a Triumph Sprint ST. It weighs about 550 lbs and this is a difficult problem to take this with me plus my Airstream. My second ride is a Ducatti 750ss that weighs about 400 lbs. It used to fit into my old TV, a 93 GM conversion van. It will fit into the bed of my new Tundra truck, but the bed is too high and I covered it with a cap to keep all my stuff dry. So what to do?

I think that I may have hit on a solution for me- a small dual sport mc (Suzuki drz400S or SL). I can use this to take short trips and explore on my own, something that I really enjoy doing. This will be carried on the front of my truck. The weight of the mc, loading ramp and receiver will be less than 450 lbs. This may push me over the truck gvwr, but will help keep me under the rear axle gvwr, since the mc in front should reduce the rear axle loading by about 100-125 lbs. I personally don't mind being slightly over the truck gvwr (6,900) if I am under the axle gvwr (4100,3900). The only real problem is blocking the headlight illumination somewhat. I probably could not travel at night.

Slip7- VersaHaul makes a sport bike carrier with a capacity of at least 600 lbs, I think. You will need a class IV front receiver hitch. Good luck in your quest. Thanks for starting the thread.
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Falling Rock , West Virginia
The one trip we took with our Airstream, going to Ocean City, Md, I took my 96 Suzuki Savage in the bed of the truck. The motorcycle weighs about 350 pounds. On Interstate 68, the most the truck, Airstream, and motorcycle slowed down on hills, was 45mph. I carried my wooden ramps between the twin beds in the Airstream. Hopefull next trip, that I take the Airstream, I can afford some aluminum folking ramps, and only be slowed to 47 mph on the uphills
HillBilySkMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago/DC , IL/VA
I found 2air's post on the Panamerica and I concur with his idea to shorten the "garage bay" and make the bike load from the side. The rear ramp does raise some limitations that would require loading and unloading to happen prior to dropping the trailer in it's spot. Much of the interior is sacrificed for the sake of the garage. Nice to see someone has actually put eyes on the original concept and noted such obvious improvements.

I also guess that I could get a lighter bike in the future to putt putt around on. Maybe I'll finally get my wife that Vespa she keeps going on about or better yet, a sweet vintage Triumph!

TouringDan thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, I guess my head was locked into Harley originally but touting this solution as one for all motorcycle enthusiasts out there would be far mor advisable (and profitable?).
Slip7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #26
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
YES!! YES ..YES!!

I love riding my BIKE.

67,000 miles in her. No garage/trailer queen here. It would be nice to load her up and have more than one way to travel while in beautiful country. This would be the best of both WORLDS!!!!

Here is picture of my Honda VTX 1800c

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Go places that have motorcycle rentals.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
I vote for the Eddie Bauer in a 26' with a north/south queen bed in the front. The bike is a Honda XL600R dual purpose for medium length exploration trips anywhere I want to go, weight is about 300 lbs, so the trailer would carry it easily. The layout is perfect for our needs, whether entertaining, sleeping, or enjoying breakfast at the beach. Our TV is a full size Blazer with one ton running gear, perfect for exploring and dry camping, but carrying the bike is problematic at best. I think the new EB design is a winner. Unfortunately, I can't afford a new one unless I win the lottery, but I do know a bit about aluminum fabrication, so I'll be taking a close look at one when I get a chance. :-)
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago/DC , IL/VA
I did some poking around at some SOB sites. Why is it that toy haulers have to come with ugly XTREME tribal graphics and Sony XPLODEZ speakers? The ability to package this anywhere from a 22'-30' is out there but, dear Lord, the offerings are HIDEOUS:
Old 02-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago/DC , IL/VA
Aside from the idea of rear ramp loading, some models have a "cargo deck" placed in front of the actual trailer enclosure on the tounge. Looking at the 19' model here I'm convinced AS could (if it wished) come up with something that would at least carry one motorcyle in its belly:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?page=floor&choice=wolfpack&nav=rec

There is a distinct demographic shift from the styling appeal of the boxes vs AS. This market truly feels like it caters to a much much different crowd. Even the most "upscale" models from different manufacturers are tacky at best. Many can meet this need but no one can pull it off with any sort of high concept design or cultured appeal. Some have remarked that AS has targeted upscale with it's european styling and modern design interiors. If they can approach this from a modern utilitarian aspect like they did the Basecamp, I think it would work. Then again... Why did they kill off the Basecamp?
Old 02-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip7 View Post
Aside from the idea of rear ramp loading, some models have a "cargo deck" placed in front of the actual trailer enclosure on the tounge. Looking at the 19' model here I'm convinced AS could (if it wished) come up with something that would at least carry one motorcyle in its belly:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?page=floor&choice=wolfpack&nav=rec

There is a distinct demographic shift from the styling appeal of the boxes vs AS. This market truly feels like it caters to a much much different crowd. Even the most "upscale" models from different manufacturers are tacky at best. Many can meet this need but no one can pull it off with any sort of high concept design or cultured appeal. Some have remarked that AS has targeted upscale with it's european styling and modern design interiors. If they can approach this from a modern utilitarian aspect like they did the Basecamp, I think it would work. Then again... Why did they kill off the Basecamp?
Pace and Thule make a nice looking cargo trailer of high quality materials and workmanship.
Why not design and install your own toys for boys camper.
Pace American - Living Quarters & Lounge Trailers

AS for the Basecamp....It ended up costing to much and as others said it had quality issues. They where very small inside...and just kind of too weird in the end. Very high concept design ideas that got complicated as the final product. But that's just my own opinion.

Also:
Pace American - Silver Arrow Cycle Trailers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	silverarrowcargo.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	122466  
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
how about this?
BaT Exclusive: 1951 Royal Spartanette Converted Hauler « BaT – The best vintage and classic cars for sale online
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1951_Royal_Spartanette_Converted_Toy_Hauler_Travel_Trailer_Riveted_Aluminum_For_Sale_By_Night_0_.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	122468  
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #33
_

. , .
Quote:
Aside from the idea of rear ramp loading, some models have a "cargo deck" placed in front of the actual trailer enclosure on the tounge...
yes, this is what i suggested early here.

a/s could actually fabricate 2-3 different decks (length/height/gadget specific)...

that could be "modular" and added to the front AFTER production and on several of the shorter streams...

from 16 to 25s this would be a real nifty way to carry lifestyle toys, WHILE solving the wimpy frame issues.

((even the front end (inside) of 34 could be used for storage/hauling))

a side opening 'toy' door on the front of a 34 would be better for weight/loading/towing...

in other words the maNap, since the panam is bass ackwards.
_________

but almost EVERY new guy here who suggests these innovations, is missing a huge piece of the puzzle...

visit the factory, take the tour (do it twice at least) and get a feel for production.

it's very hard to convert a buggy factory and skilled buggy makers into a B-2 plant,

or even a kia/honda/nissan/audi assembly line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
how about this?...
that would be the infamous hauler that was custom done, only to be wrecked...

then done again, along with the bathtub porsche that rode inside.

perfect example of what may have been very poor weight distribution, the wrong axles and wrong hitch...

along with divine intervention...

it's perhaps the most expensive silver project done, JUST to haul stuff inside.

he started with what was an innocent question in 2004...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...iler-8607.html

then documented the process...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...box-16243.html

then found a tow vehicle...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...uck-23906.html

and the crap hit the fan.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ees-25213.html

several enthusiast forums were used to post LONG threads on this unit, and the wreck/S and resto'

most are gone now.

there was a LONG intense thread on the wreck, perhaps over on rvnet...

quite the read.
_______

here's another old thread with some FUNNY but functional 'opened cans of 'stream....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ler-22030.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chicago/DC , IL/VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
but almost EVERY new guy here who suggests these innovations, is missing a huge piece of the puzzle...

visit the factory, take the tour (do it twice at least) and get a feel for production.

it's very hard to convert a buggy factory and skilled buggy makers into a B-2 plant,

or even a kia/honda/nissan/audi assembly line.
Okay, first let me apologize for expressing such naivete in my enthusiasm. It's true, the ideas and the perceived needs that are going unmet are not that radical. They are already consistently done by other makers out there. So one should naturally beg the question on why it hasn't been done. Well, I obviously can't take a hop-skip-and-jump over to Jackson Center but I can let my fingers do the walkin.

I reviewed the tour description/info on the AS website. Then I did some satellite map touring of Jackson Center. I even did a virtual walk down the street and saw the cool vintage trailers parked out front of the factory main office. I then downloaded an episode of "How It's Made" for a quick 10min spot on the Airstream construction process. I could have gone further but at this point...I get it. I see what 2air' means.

There is a workshop...in the middle of NOWHERE...pumping out these fabulous units one at a time. It's definitely a "buggy operation" vs a R&D powerhouse releasing the cutting edge in today's modern RV.

It's been 30+ years THOR! With all the brands you guys own, you'd think you could diversify your product line and leverage your production and research advancements among ALL your lines. Must be a "bottom line" thing.

Then again...

There's definitely something more tangible and authentic about the way the AS is built. I don't think I'd like to see Toyota's philosophy dumped in JC like it was some GM plant. AS...keep doin what yer doin. There's a reason why you've been around all these years.

It's still okay to dream though. It's still okay to post these musings from all these naive new guys. You know, the expanded demographic that AS is successfully pulling over to their brand. It's okay to assume that the mothership has a few folks that troll these forums for a pulse on what the customer is doing or wants. Who knows? Maybe threads like these get people talkin. Maybe enough people start to collaborate on a rough idea and polish it to something AS might want to take a chance on. Or maybe it just turns out to be an education in learning the limitations of the product.

At work we face unique tech challenges from some of the most *ahem* challenging clients. I always find myself in these weekly meetings with the boss and various teams from different departments. The first thing that gets mentioned during a new requirement is how something is not going to be able to be done. How it's too costly or takes up too much time. How that particular application can't be designed that way or we'd have to pull manning away from another workcenter and we don't have the people to spare...blah blah blah. If one of my guys spouts that crap in front of the boss, he gets a quick counseling, "It's okay to tell me why it can't be done but you sure as hell better follow that up with giving me ideas on HOW IT CAN be done."

Once you say something can't be done, it's over. The brain stops troubleshooting. If you keep asking it HOW can something be done...

...kickass AS toy haulers get invented.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
The answer is simple:

Basecamp - Too small. Too expensive. Too ugly. (looked too much like a horse trailer and not enough like an Airstream)

Panamerica - WAY too expensive with cheap looking interior for an Airstream in that price range. Load door and cargo area too small for a big portion of the off road crowd who own toys with more than two wheels. (A major portion of the toy hauler market)

A big part of the toy hauler appeal is versatility. I think Airstream keeps missing the point by making their attempts a little too focused on one segment of the market. Also, most toy hauler buyers are about 10 years younger than the typical Airstream demographic and Airstream doesn't seem to be able to plug themselves into that mentality or price point. It doesn't help that it's really hard to convince anyone that a 34' tag pull with a 50" load door is worth $25K more than a 42' 5th wheel with an 8' door, a built in fueling station, 10' ceilings, enough beds to sleep eight people, and three giant slideouts.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Austin , Texas
Lightbulb motorcycle caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
I think that I may have hit on a solution for me- a small dual sport mc (Suzuki drz400S or SL). I can use this to take short trips and explore on my own, something that I really enjoy doing. This will be carried on the front of my truck. The weight of the mc, loading ramp and receiver will be less than 450 lbs. This may push me over the truck gvwr, but will help keep me under the rear axle gvwr, since the mc in front should reduce the rear axle loading by about 100-125 lbs. I personally don't mind being slightly over the truck gvwr (6,900) if I am under the axle gvwr (4100,3900). The only real problem is blocking the headlight illumination somewhat. I probably could not travel at night.
Hey Slip7 / TouringDan -

I would love to hear from you if you end up doing a front mount bike hauler. I am a newbie to airstreams and just picked up a 23 international, but am a motorcyclist foremost. I have been mulling over the idea of a front hitch on my TV so I could haul around my DRZ. The thought of boondocking in the airstream with the DRZ to play on is *incredibly* appealing.

Also, here is another thought I am mulling over that might have less impact to visibility: I have seen several m/c companies that make/sell moto "caddies" - carriers which attach the front wheel of the bike to the bumper and leave most of the weight of the bike on the rear wheel. E.g.:

Motorcycle Caddy - Hitch Mounted Motorcycle Carrier from Discount Ramps

I am not sure if that would be classed as a "double trailer" if you mounted it to the bumper of the a/s - but it would be a nominal added weight for something like a DRZ or an ST. You'd be limited to chain or belt driven bikes though - shafties don't like to be towed.

<gru>LIGHT-BULB!</gru>

-smeg
smeghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:06 AM   #37
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
We take our 2 vespa scooters with us. They are not as big a a Motorcyle so we can load them into the back of our ram 1500. I had a ramp built so that we can pull them into the bed with a wench.
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #38
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Segways

Quote:
ROFL! Yes, Segways are awesome (secretly) and dangerous. I almost killed myself on one in Dubai last year when I got a little squirrely on it. A lot faster than you'd think.
The owner of the Segway company was killed on one when he accidentally drove it over a cliff. No kidding.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
... pull them into the bed with a wench.
She doesn't mind?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #40
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I am going to say I do not want my motorcycle in a trailer with me.

When the bike you like to ride is renowned as the king of Baja, chances are its use is going to get more than just a bit dusty and dirty while being ridden.

The last thing I want in my living space is oil, dust, dirt, grime, mud, pine needles and pollin. Not to mention the gasoline stink.

When I carry a bike it goes in the back of my pickup, this is why you need a long bed pickup. And why I am putting a flat bed on mine.

I think air stream is best of doing what they do best, if they really want to entice me into buying a new trailer, I think finally adding a place on the air stream for a onboard generator would do more for sales than most things they could add.

As well I loved the Victornox interior, I like the Eddie Bauer, but why are they only limited to one size of trailer? If I am going to spend a hundred grand on a travel trailer, I ought to be able to get what ever interior in it I want in what ever colors I want. That would sell trailers.

I think also having a high ride option would be good because it would appeal to people who like to boon dock, who like to get a bit further off the beaten path.

Mostly though an ephasys on quality is what will get the job done.

I am concerned for airstream as a whole, I have noticed they are down to 5 different trailer offerings, and I no longer see a 34.

I actually think airstream could learn a lot from the modifications people do here to thier older trailers like the tankless hot water systems, and insulating meathods and so on.

Tags
road king, toy hauler, harley davidson