Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2015, 06:55 PM   #101
TommieDee54

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Do you drink the water at RV parks?

Y'all could buy a Berky Water Filter. Ours is 1 1/2 gallons, filters out everything except pure water. It's classified as a water purifier.
It's the only water we drink, no hauling bottled water or worries about water from the fresh water tank, no matter where we fill it from.

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/

TommieDee54
Old 01-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #102
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Crud, I drink the water from sewage reclamation plants... Sorry, I'm a little bit into happy hour right now.

-Red, if it don't stink, I drink...
Old 01-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #103
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommieDee View Post
Y'all could buy a Berkey Water Filter.
Not until I know what their filter medium is made from. All I could find out when researching the subject was that it uses a micro-pore design that keeps the water in contact with the filter media for a long time— flow rate is only 7 gallons per hour with the Big Berkey model— but that's only it's structure, not its composition.

There is no one treatment method that will remove all contaminants identified in the EPA Primary Drinking Water Standards, advertising hype notwithstanding. The Berkey filters appear to concentrate on pathogens which are best removed by granular activated carbon, and heavy metals, best removed by manganese greensand. If I knew what the filter media composition was, I'd know what contaminants it won't filter out.

A Berkey is great stuff if you need emergency drinking water from an untrusted source, and I might buy the smallest model to add to my hurricane "hunker-down" kit for those storms that aren't bad enough to require evacuation but that are likely to disrupt utility services.

But as a general filter for the type of camping I do, I want something with a higher flow rate that I can hook up in-line to filter the municipal or well water before it gets into my Airstream, not something to filter one glass or pitcher of water at a time.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Just bourbon.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:31 PM   #105
2 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
In-line culligan filter between the spigot and the trailer inlet.

Seagull under sink filter for all drinking/cooking water needs.

According to the manufacturer:

"Our proven and patented "Structured Matrix" water purifier systems developed nearly four decades ago, can remove a broad range of contaminants including, water borne disease carrying micro-organisms, toxic or carcinogenic chemicals, sediments, bad tastes, odours, isotopes and other particulate matter including chlorine!"
Blue Ox SwayPro
Still looking at Airstreams....
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:05 PM   #106
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

If the CG is full of live campers having a great time I figg'r the waters good.

I do bring filtered water from home for the Joe. (Distilled in a pinch)

FWIW...never been 'hooked-up' to a water supply. We use a water stealer & inline filter at the CG's we go to.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #107
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Unless we're winterized, we hook up and use the campground water. This year we'll use a high-flow regulator and a filter outside the trailer to ensure no sediment gets into the lines or the fresh tank. To be clear, we're not aware that we've had a problem with water line sediment before, so it's more of a belt / suspenders thing.

The AS filter under the sink in the kitchen is nice, but it only filters water coming out at the kitchen sink. The built-in pressure regulator is nice too, but it doesn't protect the hose or external filter. So, this year we're doing that stuff externally.

Maybe we should add a venturi attachment that pulls bourbon from an IV bag as it goes through the filter - you know, to sterilize things on the way to the trailer.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
We don't use any filter at all. We have well-water at home, and we fill several gallon jugs at the outset of any trip but use them only if we are boondocking or the taste of the CG water isn't good. We prefer to travel with the trailer as light as possible, so only fill the fresh water tank a quarter full for toilet use.

We do Clorox the fresh water tank in the spring, but don't really trust the "green things" not to come back, thus the water jugs filled from home. So far, no problems!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:47 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Ditto on the dog water. Our dogs are very sensitive to some water, yet get along well with any bottled water! Some campground water bothers them. Go figure, so we buy water for the dogs and us. Jim
I think the dogs are trying to tell us something. If they don't drink the water, we shouldn't either. They have a keen sense of smell . In fact they have 220 million olfactory receptors in their nose, while us humans have only 5 million. I had to Google this information. I use ''zero water'' filter decanter at home. It comes with it's own tester. On the trail a ''Sawyer'' filter, best price is on amazon 20.00 or you can pay 29.99 at Bass Pro. I think everyone should have a ''Sawyer'' just in case....I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I'm handy.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Anyone remember when we actually drank water from the faucet !!! Shudder....

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Drinking tap water is oh so low brow...

Old 02-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #112
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Drinking tap water is oh so low brow...
Maybe. But when was the last time you heard of someone being arrested for drinking tap water and driving?
Old 02-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #113
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Maybe. But when was the last time you heard of someone being arrested for drinking tap water and driving?
I guess anything's possible. Sometimes water can contain some pretty potent stuff!

Lynn
Old 02-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Especially if there is a fracking well close by as shown above.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
It is highly unlikely that there is any relationship to fracking in the above picture. It is most likely from a well that is completed into an aquifer that contains methane. It is a natural process that releases gas as an aquifer is dewatered.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
It is highly unlikely that there is any relationship to fracking in the above picture. It is most likely from a well that is completed into an aquifer that contains methane. It is a natural process that releases gas as an aquifer is dewatered.

Bingo....

Old 02-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
I think the dogs are trying to tell us something. If they don't drink the water, we shouldn't either. They have a keen sense of smell . In fact they have 220 million olfactory receptors in their nose, while us humans have only 5 million. I had to Google this information. I use ''zero water'' filter decanter at home. It comes with it's own tester. On the trail a ''Sawyer'' filter, best price is on amazon 20.00 or you can pay 29.99 at Bass Pro. I think everyone should have a ''Sawyer'' just in case....I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I'm handy.

I certainly agree with you about not drinking anything my dog wouldn't drink. However....there isn't much my dog wouldn't drink! We have high clay content in the dirt around Sacramento, so some puddles from rain will stay around several weeks before they drain. I've seen puddles where we walk that have horse tracks going into them, other dogs' tracks, and a few more other unidentified things. Of course my dog wades right in too, and takes a few sips while she's in there.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Since the wife and dog got sick after drinking water at a RV Park we bring our own water we fill at home in Bottled water bottles.

We take more then enough for the trip for 2 of us and 2 small dogs.

On one trip we were out for 2 months and brought 10 cases and still had 2 cases of water when we got home.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #119
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
I take my own drinking water
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Dogs will drink water if they are thirsty, but not necessarily water that's good for them. We carry bottled water for them. We use campground water to shower and flush, but we are tea drinkers, so whatever water we drink gets boiled first. We carry at least one case of bottled water for doggies and people if needed. Have not gotten any intestinal upsets this way. Nothing worse than a sick doggie in the back seat of the truck. They seem to hold gallons. Don't ask how I know this. 😄 We also carry their normal food and try to feed them on their normal schedule. Doggie tummies are not as tough as folks think they are.

Agree that fresh water tank filling should be from a municipal chlorinated water supply without running it through a carbon filter. I also carry a bottle of unscented Clorox for tank cleaning and hose sanitization if I get suspicious. I dewinterize according to the instructions in the AS manual that calls for a full fresh tank fill with a couple cups of Clorox (or whatever it recommends) and let soak for an hour. I fill all the way to the top until the solution comes out the vent to make sure all the hoses are flushed, then I run the pump briefly to flush all the lines and hot water heater. I make sure I can smell chlorine at all the faucets both hot and cold. It sits for about an hour, then I drain and flush until the chlorine smell is faint but not totally gone. That seems to protect us well enough.

If the campground water looks sketchy we run the pump with only what we carry. If not, I run the dedicated supply hose through a pressure regulator at the campground valve and a fresh each year charcoal filter at the side of the AS. Seems to work well, as our last 10,000 mile trip was without issues.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote