Old 11-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #29

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
Thanks everyone. I'll be heading to Wal Mart to pick up a blue water filter and a Brita for good measure.
You can save some money by buying the two pack of the filters only. You will need to add the small piece of spring hose to the filter. You can buy these separately at Ace or Home Depot for a couple of bucks, and you only have to buy this once.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member
benicia , California

cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #31
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If it has no odor or bad taste. Usually it's so bad you can't even cook with it. It will ruin your food. We take bottled water for drinking and cooking. Sometimes, if the park water smells/tastes too bad, we brush our teeth with bottled water.
We stayed at J. P. Coleman State Park in September. They had great water- better than at the house. I filled my fresh water tank with some of that J. P. Coleman water so we would have the option of cooking and drinking clean, clear water. I just let that good water go in the yard when I winterized my trailer.
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #32
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
In my former life I was a State Park Ranger here in sunny New Jersey. We did have a campground within the park with centrally located water spigots supplied by a deep well. All of the water distribution points were tested 2x/yr. during the camping season. This was a state mandate and was complied with. I'm not sure what action would be taken in the case of a failed test. Could have been as simple as posting a non-potable sign but we were always in compliance by the time the campground opened. There were a few occasions where we needed to put some bleach down the well cap and re-test after a few days.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Actually the EPA only regulates that 90 contaminates not be in your municipalities water supply to be approved for drinking. You can read about that on Home | Water | US EPA

They DO NOT REGULATE private property wells. This is why some campgrounds, state forests, state parks, national forest, national parks, etc have signs that say what water is and is not acceptable for drinking. Obviously a national park is not private property, but they must display or provide info on what is and what is not drinkable. But if you're at a private campground, who knows.

If it's not acceptable, you will need more than a Britta filter, which is nothing more than a carbon filter designed to remove heavy metals that make some municipality water taste bad.

We use a ProPur filter and have a reverse osmosis system installed on our home.
I don't remember where I picked this up, and I just don't have the time to try and find it right now, but I BELIEVE the definition of "private" by the EPA is not just an ownership definition. IIRC there are some "public access" requirements to that "private" definition which does make (most?) campgrounds fall under the same requirements as "public" systems.

Where they do not have jurisdiction is "private property" wells with no public access.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #34
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
What Rich just said.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #35
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I don't remember where I picked this up, and I just don't have the time to try and find it right now, but I BELIEVE the definition of "private" by the EPA is not just an ownership definition. IIRC there are some "public access" requirements to that "private" definition which does make (most?) campgrounds fall under the same requirements as "public" systems.

Where they do not have jurisdiction is "private property" wells with no public access.
EPA doesn't actually regulate water supplies. They just publish the Primary and Secondary Safe Drinking Water standards. State Health Departments actually regulate water supplies.

It varies from state to state, but Louisiana is the state I'm most familiar with. Louisiana divides water sources into "transient" and "non-transient," and into "community" and "non-community" sources. The frequency of testing is based on which categories the source falls into, and so does the list of Primary Standards contaminants that must be checked during each test.

If you look at the various combinations, a "transient non-community" system has the fewest requirements. Testing might be as seldom as once a month, and the number of contaminants tested for might be as few as fourteen, mostly biological. A water well serving a rest area along the highway in the middle of nowhere would be this type.

A "transient community" system would be your typical campground. There are dozens of people using the system at any given time, but hardly anyone uses this same source year-round except maybe the camp hosts if they own the campground themselves. Testing is a little more stringent, but not by much. Higher frequency, but still not for a lot of contaminants.

A "non-transient non-community" system would be your typical rural farm well. You have some people using the water year-round, but it's a few families at most. Testing is more stringent, but not the maximum level. In this case, the tests cover more contaminants but at a low frequency.

A "non-transient community" system would be your typical municipal utility. Testing is very stringent, covering the greatest number of contaminants and at the greatest frequency. Large municipalities may test their water multiple times per hour!

Water quality testing is very expensive; a laboratory test can run as much as a thousand dollars for the full array of Primary Drinking Water Standards contaminants. So the idea is to determine the health risks. Transient sources may contain contaminants that pose long-term health risks, but no one person is drinking that water long enough for it to be a problem. Non-community sources don't serve very many people, so not very many people will get sick at one time from short-term health risks in the water. The various categories account for the number of people at risk and whether they're exposed to long-term or short-term risks.

By the way, EPA Secondary Drinking Water Standards address how pleasant the water is to drink, not whether it's safe. Things like taste, color, and odor. And with very few exceptions, the contaminants on the Secondary Standards list are not regulated! Fortunately, a granular activated carbon filter will remove many of the Secondary Standards contaminants.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #36
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We have a charcoal filter in line with the water hose (Lowe's) coming into the trailer, and the trailer is equipped with another filter in the line that goes to a drinking water faucet at the kitchen sink.

In the last year we have been from California to Key West, back to Oregon, and back, and have never found water that we could not drink, make coffee with, or cook with.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Once I left So Cal I reverted to drinking tap water (during my 8 years in San Diego it appeared as though a bottle of water was a requisite for walking out your front door). Never had a problem anywhere in the US....coast-to-coast. I worry less about water than I do catching norovirus. Once was enough.
"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
One time we used camp ground water to make our macaroni. The noodles, despite the cheese, tasted like chlorine! So, we started bringing water from home for cooking.

Later on, however, I just got into the habit of tasting/smelling the campground water (we always use an inline filter). If it was OK, we'd just use it.

I have only ever had the "swimming pool tasting water" issue happen once. We always bring some water with us (we're from a spring water town and are a little bit snobby about water...) but very often use the campground water.

Just use a good inline filter, give a taste/sniff test, and you should be fine.

See ya on the road!
- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Yes after running through sediment filter and charcoal before it enters the trailer plumbing
Craig and Carol
1997 34' Excella 1000
1970 27' Overlander, International
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member
1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
In ten years of living in our Airstream while full timing, we always used campground water and never had a problem. BTW, reason for using a 'white' hose is that it is a 'food grade' hose and will not give you the 'rubber' taste you get from a regular garden type hose. We do have an external filter for removing sediment and drink campground water going through that filter and also our under-the-sink filter as well. Only used bottled water for drinking when local water is very heavy in sediment or just tasted bad.
oldfulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member
2011 23' International
clovis , California
jgerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #42
Rivet Slave
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Yup, we drink campground water. Heavens, it's tasty and expeditious.

We have a filter under the sink in the kitchen for cold water, which is how our 2014 TT was configured.

As for an external water filter - this seems a good idea. However, I'm reluctant to put a filter on before the water gets to a pressure regulator. I've heard tales of high pressure water blowing the contents of a water filter out the other end and into the lines. Is this a fable, or does it actually happen from time to time?

Since I'm a worry-wart, if I added an external filter I'd want to precede it with a pressure regulator - probably right at the faucet so it would protect the hose as well as the filter.

OTOH, it's our understanding that our Airstream trailer already has a pressure regulator built in at the city water inlet. So, that would be two pressure regulators and a filter between the outside water and any interior use, with an additional filter for cold water in the kitchen. I wonder what that would do to our water pressure when on campground water inputs - especially in the shower.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote