Old 11-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
Total newbie question because I am a total newbie. I've read that I should use a white hose for fresh water but does that mean the park's water is drinkable? Even when I stay in hotels I drink bottled water. If you don't drink it, do you cook with it or is it just showers, washing dishes and flushing the john?
The so called "white hose" that you are referring to is one that is specially designed to use for drinking (potable) water. These hoses are made from different materials that do not put any plastic chemicals in the water coming through them. By the way, not all of these hoses are white in color. Just look on the packaging and they will say suitable for drinking water. These hoses are usually more expensive than the garden hose variety.

As to using the water at parks and campgrounds, we always use the park and campground water for all uses including drinking. We have always had a filtering system in our Airstreams and we use one of those big blue filters at the hose spigot.

In the literally hundreds of parks and campgrounds that we have stayed at over the years, we have never found the water unacceptable for drinking and all other uses.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Although we do always use a water filter on the inlet hose from the campground supply, we generally carry 5gal of filtered water from home with us for cooking/drinking.

Once empty, we generally refill with RO water if readily available where we happen to be, and if not, we either buy bottled water for drinking or use the campground supply through our filer.

No real reason - I guess we started doing it mainly because we preferred the taste of our morning coffee when made with the water that we were used to at home!

In most cases I would have no qualms about using the water from the RV park.

I do try not to use the water from our RV tank for drinking even though it has been filtered on the way in and also I do regularly sanitize the system with bleach. I still just get a bit nervous about it! Would use it as a last resort

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We always did when younger but at at this point in our lives we are more careful what we eat and drink. Campground water can vary widely in quality and taste so we run it through a filter and softener before it comes in the Airstream, and we drink only bottled water (the gallon size) when we can get it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
I drink, shower and cook with the campground water that has been through an inline filter. It seems perfectly safe to me. Has anyone had any issues with campground water other than preferring one taste over another? My guess is safety is not a real concern, possibly taste is.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I also run through a filter and softener outside. The softener is more for reducing the annual hard water deposit maintenance than consumption quality. And it works well for that.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
We use campground water wherever we go. I filter all water at the hose bib before it gets into the trailer. We normally use it for everything. We do carry bottled water, small bottles we can put in the fridge, just for convenience.

There are exceptions though. When well water has a funky taste or smell that the carbon filter does not remove, we only use it for washing and flushing. For example, all along the southeast US coastal areas, shallow well water can have a rotten egg / sulfur smell. It is safe to ingest, but I do not.

add edit: I'm more concerned with what is growing in the fresh water tank when I fill it with well water at a campground. I'm anal about keeping the fresh water tank sanitized, 3-4 times each year.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

benicia , California
Thanks everyone. I'll be heading to Wal Mart to pick up a blue water filter and a Brita for good measure.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
I would like to remind folks who are commenting about the safety of US municipal water that a lot of campgrounds use well-water and do not get their water from a municipal water supply. We have well-water at home and are thus used to water that does not come "from the grid" and feel it is perfectly safe.
Many, if not most, municipalities get their water from wells. These are not mutually exclusive events. Our government regulates (thank you) public water even at stand alone wells like you might find at an out of the way campground. This water is tested and is safe. We always use campground water but we do filter it as it comes into the coach. There have been a couple of times when the water did not taste very good so we did go out and get some bottled water. This has happened only a couple of times in the last 20 some years so we do not automatically pack a lot of bottled water each time we head out. The Britta is a good idea as well.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
We use campground water for cooking, washing, and for tea. Coffee water and drinking water comes from home, either bulk or bottled.

We also don't drink water in restaurants, anywhere. Got into that habit many years ago, and it stuck.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Just my 2 cents. A friend of mine is on a well. For whatever reason, the well, after being used many years, became contaminated. He even filtered his water, but he and 2 of his boys got very sick with some sort of bacterial contaminant. I have a brother that lives in Mexico. I'm going to combine these experiences to say that if a campground runs on a well, those that run the campground could well be adapted to bacteria in the area, but you might not be. I don't think bottled water is that necessary, but I use a large filter for the hose coming into the trailer, and then I have another filter for the drinking water tap that is at the sink as extra insurance. It was pretty easy to plumb into the lines, and makes me feel better.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
Just my 2 cents. A friend of mine is on a well. For whatever reason, the well, after being used many years, became contaminated. He even filtered his water, but he and 2 of his boys got very sick with some sort of bacterial contaminant. I have a brother that lives in Mexico. I'm going to combine these experiences to say that if a campground runs on a well, those that run the campground could well be adapted to bacteria in the area, but you might not be. I don't think bottled water is that necessary, but I use a large filter for the hose coming into the trailer, and then I have another filter for the drinking water tap that is at the sink as extra insurance. It was pretty easy to plumb into the lines, and makes me feel better.
FYI, many state's universities offer free of very low cost testing through their student labs (environmental studies?, chemistry?) for private water systems. My father used to send in samples annually for a report and treatment equipment and levels requirements. That was Illinois. When I had a well in Michigan, I did the same thing. Very good resource for health as well as resale.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Slightly off topic,yet related .............

Last winter, we stopped on the way home from Tucson for an overnight stop in the oilfield area of Texas - around Odessa I think it was.

When we checked in, they provided us with 24 bottles of drinking water as part 0f the camping fee.

We were told that the park water was ok for washing and showering but not for drinking due to contamination of their water that had been on-going without resolution for a couple of years.

Every camper was given the bottled water along with a one sheet explanation as to the nature of the problem. No mention in Trailer Life Directory though!

First time we ever encountered that!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I will drink water from just about anywhere. However, we carry RO water for the Keurig coffee maker. I like the way my coffee tastes, and do not want to lime up the Keurig.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #28
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Many, if not most, municipalities get their water from wells. These are not mutually exclusive events. Our government regulates (thank you) public water even at stand alone wells like you might find at an out of the way campground. This water is tested and is safe. We always use campground water but we do filter it as it comes into the coach. There have been a couple of times when the water did not taste very good so we did go out and get some bottled water. This has happened only a couple of times in the last 20 some years so we do not automatically pack a lot of bottled water each time we head out. The Britta is a good idea as well.
Actually the EPA only regulates that 90 contaminates not be in your municipalities water supply to be approved for drinking. You can read about that on Home | Water | US EPA

They DO NOT REGULATE private property wells. This is why some campgrounds, state forests, state parks, national forest, national parks, etc have signs that say what water is and is not acceptable for drinking. Obviously a national park is not private property, but they must display or provide info on what is and what is not drinkable. But if you're at a private campground, who knows.

If it's not acceptable, you will need more than a Britta filter, which is nothing more than a carbon filter designed to remove heavy metals that make some municipality water taste bad.

We use a ProPur filter and have a reverse osmosis system installed on our home.