Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community

Old 10-01-2014, 05:26 AM   #43
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We've been retired for a few years now, and seem to enjoy going with the Airstream more than ever. We really must as I sat down a few days ago on MapQuest retracing the routes we took this summer, and we drove over 7,000 miles with the trailer in tow.

However, I did not like returning from Boise, ID with no trailer brakes after our Actibrake unit failed. Thank goodness for an exhaust brake on the truck.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:29 AM   #44
King of the Zebra Speedo

1974 31' Sovereign
Obrien , Florida
I wonder how many of those campers never knew they didn't have an A/C unit until they got to the campground?

Somebody ought to clean these windows. There is a tremendous buildup of gook all over them...
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:48 AM   #45
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
What do you mean by hitch adjustments? Can you elaborate there?
usually the settings made at purchase need to be fine tuned after you hit the read. getting actual weights on a truck scale turns estimates into facts which make for a more comfortable and safer tow. i find i need to increase the tension on the weight distribution bars after a day or two of towing. you may not need to but i like to factor in that time in case i need it. an uncomfortable ride will slow you down more than the weighing process. there are safety hoops to jump through and it is hard to resist the urge to just hit the road. maybe i worry too much but i had towed a car trailer on some 100 mile trips and a large trailer is very different. the learning curve is very steep in the beginning and the stress level drops almost as quickly as it starts up.

how tall is your trailer. you need to KNOW that better than your birthday!

propane is restricted in many tunnels and on some bridges you are required to turn the off.

the east coast seems to be the worst for traffic and restrictions.

take a deep breath and smile as this adventure will be part of you forever

2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote