Old 09-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The only stressful part for me is that the trailer is 45 years old and I'm afraid I'm going to be the one to ding it up! Once we get going we don't even notice it is back there, we get on just fine, but I worry about other cars on the road. So many people drive stupid or aren't paying attention!

It goes wherever we go without any hassle, and our rig is small enough to fit into two spots, so as long as we can find a pair of spots to pull through it fits in any grocery store parking lot. That's nice because stopping somewhere is never a problem.

So really, taking it with us is no bigger deal than going on a road trip without it. Other than worrying about its safety, I'd say yeah, I enjoy towing it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
One aspect of towing and the trip that we love is stopping off at a generally interesting spot to sit and eat - say and overlook or something - get your lunch - enjoy a view - then get back on the road - something so gratifying about that

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Towing a conventional camper trailer is a whole new realem in vehicle dynamics. Some folks can sense the forces on their vehicle and react accordingly, e.g. speed into a corner, stopping distances, wind effects, etc. Some folks aren't as good at it. Towing a heavy trailer changes everything while driving. It takes longer to accelerate, it takes way longer to stop, it takes more room to turn, fuel station entrance grades can bottom the back of the trailer, side winds and truck wind "wakes" can jerk your vehicles around. Too much speed on an exit ramp curve can be a disaster. Did I mention backing up? Did I mention down hill, cross wind sway with a turn in the road at the bottom of the hill while the brakes are fading away?

Towing is fun, I like the challenge. Hitching up, checking things out, and maneuvering down a road is "awakening". Conventional towing (bumper hitch) may be the most challenging transport in the RV arena. Fifth wheels are easier.

So you gotta practice. I couldn't recommend a curvey mountain two lane for a first trip. Nor could I recommend a run down the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago in a rain storm. Plan easy first trips, and expand from their. You will be tired after 4 to 6 hours pulling a trailer. But you will get comfortable towing with practice.

David
Old 09-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
I have taken the 20 ft Flying Cloud out once, and it was, well, stressful? The Airstream towed fine, I have more than enough truck for the purpose. There is some interpersonal friction, my wife would like me to drive a bit faster, she gets anxious when there are a few cars behind us because we might be going slower than the posted miles per hour (not by much...). I left a lot of room in front of us for the next vehicle because I generally knew that it would make no difference to go faster, we were all going to hit a choke point and those in front would wind up just getting to the choke point faster and we would all get to our destination at about the same time. I also don't think she realizes the truck + Airstream isn't like driving the little Audi - my goal isn't acceleration despite having enough power on tap.

We haven't quite figured out how to communicate as we back up into a spot. I'm sure we will get that one over time...

And I'm not sure where to stop in towns on the way. Where does one park this combination if you want to get a quick bite to eat? Little roadside eateries do not seem very accommodating to 50 feet of traveling fun.

We head out again this weekend - so thus far we are still alive.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Do you actually like towing your airstream? What to expect on first tow.

Regarding where to stop and similar points on this topic - read my thread on this subject

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...es-112390.html

Also - we bought the book "the next exit"

We look for obvious trucking type gas station once has at half tank

Bring food for trip in AS so you need not enter into towns with unknown access challenges -

plan stops ahead of time if possible including the restaurants or gas stations

Etc....planning is key for me and then no stress

For example - I am boondocking this weekend and need to find a place to dump tanks - googled - found a place on my route home - checked google maps - easy access for me and I may swing by there on my way home from work (same return course) and check it out in my car just to give me that much more comfort

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I do enjoy being on the road with the trailer. However I do not like driving anywhere around large cities. Too many idiots and inconsiderate boobs on the road. I am happiest on two lane backroads driving a slow and relaxing pace. Much better scenery and generally friendly locals. I do try to not be in a hurry and stop for the day early before getting tired.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Once you get comfortable and gain confidence you will be get good at strategically parking and finding places to stop, eat, shop etc.

On our first trip with the Airsteam we set up the campsite then drove back to town to buy groceries and have dinner, now that I'm more comfortable with my abilities I have no worries about stopping, its unusual to find a grocery store that can't accommodate even a very larger trailer, remember the groceries come in a transport truck and they make it in to the parking lot.

I'm not afraid to drive past a parking lot I don't think I'll fit in to.

Sometimes you have to walk a little bit to make parking easier. for example my wife loves SteakNShake and we always try to stop there on our way through Erie Pa. The SteanNShake parking lot would not accommodate a trailer but the Walmart next to it certainly will!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Michael, that is a prescription for a really pleasant trip. When we approach a large city we know the driving experience will change dramatically, with or without the Airstream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Towing an Airstream is a rewarding experience.

Towing it home the first time with a buddy's GM pickup was nice but towing it thereafter with the Can AM set up G35 sedan was pure delight.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Regarding Ukulele's question about commands when backing up, we have finally gotten past the useless command of "go the other way". We settled on the commands "driver" & "passenger" as indications of which way the trailer needs to go. You can use walkie-talkies, or just roll down the window and listen for shouted commands.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
You can use walkie-talkies, or just roll down the window and listen for shouted commands.
We used walkie -talkies once but it was in a part of the world where radio waves must travel very slowly. By the time I heard the word "stop", a second had past since I already hit a tree with the back bumper.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
My member name aside, I'm a big fan of GOAL when it comes to backing into campsites or storage space. Get Out And Look makes life so much less stressful and my DW doesn't mind at all that I am not putting dents in her AS

As to towing, this last trip I think my 2011 Tundra went to a new level in terms of being in harmony with towing... the sweet spot was right at 60, up from 55-57 in past years.....

I like towing and will like it better when I can have more time to get where I'm going.

But you have to be aware of the other guy...... this weekend on I-30 headed back towards Dallas a "professional" towing a wide load, double wide pre fab building, decided that despite the 60 that I was doing, that he just had to pass me.... so I headed for the shoulder, straddled the rumble strip and let him go. Much to my delight, a few miles down the road, the local constabulary had pulled him over, one cruiser in front and one behind..... bet he uses pilot cars next time.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Yes, those radio wave vacuum holes are not very well identified on the planetary map.

I have walkie-talkies, but I need to remember to charge them. One more darned thing on the list.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
The Airstream is the sweetest-towing trailer I've ever pulled. The owner's manual from 1966 said it best. "The Airstream tows so well you could forget it's there. Don't ever let yourself do that!"

That means the driver has to plan ahead, allow for the extra length, allow for where the trailer wheels track when turning, allow for the extra weight when stopping. It also means that lots of parking areas and filling stations just won't do. You have to plan fuel stops, or all stops for that matter.

A little practice in a deserted parking lot is a good thing--especially when backing.

Be conservative--not only at first, just stay that way.