Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Once you get comfortable and gain confidence you will be get good at strategically parking and finding places to stop, eat, shop etc.

On our first trip with the Airsteam we set up the campsite then drove back to town to buy groceries and have dinner, now that I'm more comfortable with my abilities I have no worries about stopping, its unusual to find a grocery store that can't accommodate even a very larger trailer, remember the groceries come in a transport truck and they make it in to the parking lot.

I'm not afraid to drive past a parking lot I don't think I'll fit in to.

Sometimes you have to walk a little bit to make parking easier. for example my wife loves SteakNShake and we always try to stop there on our way through Erie Pa. The SteanNShake parking lot would not accommodate a trailer but the Walmart next to it certainly will!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Michael, that is a prescription for a really pleasant trip. When we approach a large city we know the driving experience will change dramatically, with or without the Airstream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Towing an Airstream is a rewarding experience.

Towing it home the first time with a buddy's GM pickup was nice but towing it thereafter with the Can AM set up G35 sedan was pure delight.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Regarding Ukulele's question about commands when backing up, we have finally gotten past the useless command of "go the other way". We settled on the commands "driver" & "passenger" as indications of which way the trailer needs to go. You can use walkie-talkies, or just roll down the window and listen for shouted commands.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
You can use walkie-talkies, or just roll down the window and listen for shouted commands.
We used walkie -talkies once but it was in a part of the world where radio waves must travel very slowly. By the time I heard the word "stop", a second had past since I already hit a tree with the back bumper.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
My member name aside, I'm a big fan of GOAL when it comes to backing into campsites or storage space. Get Out And Look makes life so much less stressful and my DW doesn't mind at all that I am not putting dents in her AS

As to towing, this last trip I think my 2011 Tundra went to a new level in terms of being in harmony with towing... the sweet spot was right at 60, up from 55-57 in past years.....

I like towing and will like it better when I can have more time to get where I'm going.

But you have to be aware of the other guy...... this weekend on I-30 headed back towards Dallas a "professional" towing a wide load, double wide pre fab building, decided that despite the 60 that I was doing, that he just had to pass me.... so I headed for the shoulder, straddled the rumble strip and let him go. Much to my delight, a few miles down the road, the local constabulary had pulled him over, one cruiser in front and one behind..... bet he uses pilot cars next time.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Yes, those radio wave vacuum holes are not very well identified on the planetary map.

I have walkie-talkies, but I need to remember to charge them. One more darned thing on the list.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
The Airstream is the sweetest-towing trailer I've ever pulled. The owner's manual from 1966 said it best. "The Airstream tows so well you could forget it's there. Don't ever let yourself do that!"

That means the driver has to plan ahead, allow for the extra length, allow for where the trailer wheels track when turning, allow for the extra weight when stopping. It also means that lots of parking areas and filling stations just won't do. You have to plan fuel stops, or all stops for that matter.

A little practice in a deserted parking lot is a good thing--especially when backing.

Be conservative--not only at first, just stay that way.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I find myself wishing I was towing it every time I'm in my truck. I miss having it behind me. That sounds crazy, I know. But I love towing my Airstream. I do NOT love the boneheaded maneuvers other drivers make - especially when you can see them texting while driving. At highway speeds, a fraction of a second can mean life or death and I couldn't hate that one activity more.

But the experience of towing is really beautiful.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I enjoy towing ours.

It took me a while to get used to it, though, even after towing a car on a dolly for several years behind our B190. It was a while before I was able to relax and get comfortable with it - I enjoyed it, but I was nervous about it, too. Don't let that phase you.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #31
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I text while towing my Airstream... It's THAT easy!

I kid, I kid... I love towing The LoveStream, because it means we're going camping. It makes me happy to just go out and sit in it, but hooking it to the truck, a whole 'nother level of bliss!

-Red
Old 09-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
I text while towing my Airstream... It's THAT easy!

I kid, I kid... I love towing The LoveStream, because it means we're going camping. It makes me happy to just go out and sit in it, but hooking it to the truck, a whole 'nother level of bliss!

-Red
You have a great sense of humor! Adding "it's THAT easy" was the perfect touch! :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #33
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I drive an hour one way to work every day. Been doing it since 1989. The number of people I see every day driving and texting drives me crazy. I didn't mind the talking on the phone so much, but texting is another story. You can tell who's texting before you ever see the phone. They're all over the road...

Thanks for the compliment. Sometimes the humor doesn't come through in this format.

-Red, who really does love towing that Airstream...
Old 09-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Do You Like towing your airstream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Do you folks like to tow the airstream, or is it merely a means to the destination? After all, they do say that the journey is the destination...

Can you guys give me some basic advice on trailering my 28'? I've towed boats, but only short distances. My first tow will be a nice one -- over 1000 miles.

Any advice and insight appreciated.
Do You Like towing your airstream?

Yes. I think we might be a little vain? Going through town and looking at your self in the store windows as you drift by. Is that bad?
Nah.
That shiny 28' sure done turn heads. The 'rattle, rattle' from the D-Ram helps too
Went down a two lane twisty, last weekend, route 8 in Virginia into Patrick county from the Blue ridge parkway.
I tell you that AS corners like it was on rails. At one point on that road you can look out your driver side window and see through the curtains in the rear bedroom,
It pulls better than any other trailer I have ever pulled. Doesn't push the truck. Wind doesn't push it around, and the tanks were empty.
Its cool.
Now if that electric jack was quieter and didn't sound like a bailing machine in the campground !
But getting there is a lot of fun.
Have a good one and Enjoy the ride!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
Hook her up ... Drive her away ... She'll follow you wherever you go .
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
the drive will take a lot longer than without the trailer.
avoid the rush hour periods and i use that time to eat.
since it is your first long tow it will be stressful so don't push. i'd avoid towing at night until you get used to towing. the tail will swing out on turns and signs that hang close to the road are hard to see.
narrowed lane due to construction don't leave much room for error.

leave time for hitch adjustments mostly on the first day as things get dialed in.

don't drive tired.

use the outside islands in tight stations. you can't loop around the office at all gas stations.

while a fire is very unlikely, shutting off the propane when refueling is the law in many places and i like to turn off the furnace, fridge and water heater before fueling.

if it is freezing when you get up north you may need to winterize before you get home. i leave the furnace off when towing since you'll have a lot of cold air just sucking that heat right out of the trailer.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
"Floating down the road like a stream of air"....

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
leave time for hitch adjustments mostly on the first day as things get dialed in.

What do you mean by hitch adjustments? Can you elaborate there?
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Towing is part and parcel of the total Airstream experience. Learning to swing wide so the corner post does not hit the trailer and backing into a tight space become easier over time.

There is no race, so take it easy. I am not bashful about getting out to monitor my progress in tight spaces. Sort of similar to measure twice and cut once. Remember to look up for low hanging tree branches or power lines. Pay attention to low bridge signs to be sure you will clear without making the entire roof a skylight....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:04 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
1967 22' Safari
1969 18' Caravel
Palo Alto , California
Well, we had to learn a few things first. We have made ourself a checklist of everything we need to do before we drive off. May sound stupid but we left our first Airstream rally with the steps down-luckily everyone yelled at us-so we fixed that. Another time-we stopped for a bathroom break-I thought Mark would close the door-he thought I had closed the door-suprise-door wasn't closed-(it was my fault-last one out). Then we also drove off once without double checking all of the drawers-so now we know-be more careful-double check everything.
It's also a good idea to check and set the trailer brakes. Might be different with a newer trailer but with our 67 safari we have to do this.
Other than that-changing lanes is a bit harder because you need more clearance but once you get a feel for it it is easy.
I don't mind pulling it at all. Our is about 3500 pound and only 22' so it's pretty easy.
markdenise is offline   Reply With Quote