beach2460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by beach2460 View Post
Getting ready to buy a new AS.

Just wondering what discount off list you received on your new AS
Welcome to the AirForums! We're glad to have you with us.

The important thing is not what kind of so-called discount you can negotiate from the MSRP. The important thing is, you're buying an Airstream you like, at a price you're willing to pay and can afford.

The salesman will write down a price and show it to you to start his side of the negotiations. It may be a good idea to write down a price as well— the most you're willing to pay— but don't show it to ANYONE, especially not the salesman. That price is for your own reference ONLY. As long as the salesman's price is higher than your written price, don't buy at all. Walk away.

If the salesman's initial price is lower than your price, you're home free, because whatever price you negotiate below that, you're already getting a bargain.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
seems like an easy question - but is a bit more complex than you'd expect.

First - how long has that turkey sat on the lot? If you're looking at one of the most popular models and trims you'll get little to no leverage - say 5 to 7% If it's something that's been around since February (or even better is last year's model), cha-ching. You could get 20% off.

Secondly - time of year. Well we are nearing the end of RV season in the Northern states, but I think you're from Louisiana which is close to 12 month season. So a local dealer won't cut prices as much as someone from Minnesota!

Generally if you can get 20% discount on a square white box trailer, it'll be about 15% max off on an Airstream from the same dealer.

So 15% to 21% is good. But it's REALLY REALLY REALLY important to buy from someone with a good reputation... and practically speaking you're more likely to get front of line service from a dealer you bought from. If you're handy at doing most of the little stuff yourself that might not be a big issue, but consider your age, health, willingness and abilities as part of the deal. I have a new to me 2012 Eddie Bauer and will spend most of this weekend chasing a couple of small leaks and doing preventative caulking and filoform prevention (not my favorite tasks, and it's had to wait due to 100 Degree 100% humidity weather - but gotta be done twice a year in the malarial swamps of S.E. Virginia.)

NOW - if you want to save more than that look for a one to two year old unit. It's amazing how many people buy, then move to a bigger or a smaller unit - or go camping once and find out they don't like it.... AND then have the sanity to sell their Airstream rather than let it rot as yard art. Also, there are always a few who have a golden years dream, and one partner dies or becomes nursing home bound. The Airstream must go. If you're not easily spooked, replace the mattress where "dear Ralph" breathed his last and enjoy.

Do inspect carefully. Some units you can't tell have EVER been used (mine!) and others look like they've been used to haul garbage during their short lives.

Have a blast... your Airstream is out there lurking and will find you.

OH, and here's a valuable exercise: some dealers are very very good about showing you nice pictures - cupboards, underbed storage, pantries, and every little nook and cranny. Even though you won't have accurate measurements for those - go ahead and plan where you're going to stow all of your necessities. It might make you change the model you buy. I gave a friend a tour of my EB which she loves...loved... until she saw how little kitchen cabinet space and counter space there was. (Less than half of what you get in a regular FB with a round sink.) She's a gourmet cook. I don't poison anyone, but... If I were designing my EB, I'd replace the 3 burner stove with a two burner model just for the counter space. I can't recall the last time I used all three burners at the same time. and the flush covers on the SMEV hobs (stovetops) are great.

Happy hunting, Paula
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The rumor mills suggest a range off of MSRP from 15% to 18%. The trick is getting your hands on the "real" MSRP sheet from Airstream for your particular trim level (ie Sport, Flying Cloud, four International trim lines and the Classic). As the models go up in trim level, the margins get wider as well along with the price increases between trim lines.

I special ordered our new 27FB Classic to be built starting 9 January 2014 and initialed a factory price sheet when placing the order. So I do know explicitly the list prices of the three Classic models along with their options.

Going to many different dealership websites, many list a price and what optional accessories are included. If the numbers agree over several dealerships, then the MSRP is close.

Also, Airstream charges the same delivery charge for every model to every dealership, so the dealer in Ohio pays the same freight charge as the dealer in California.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
USN/LAPD Retired
2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Here's an article that could possible increase your knowledge in buying your AS.

Knowing How to Buy an RV can save you Thousands of Dollars - RV Basics .com

2007 Dodge Ram Quadcab 6.7L Diesel w/jakebrake

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
We found a brand new 2011 23FB Serenity at our local dealer lot in Oct 2012. one year old and it was off season. When we saw it the first time a month earlier we both fell in love due to its light interior, decor and layout (bath in the back), of course we did not mentioned it to the dealer about our drool. There were other 23FB units as well. He gave us 18% off the MSRP and after finalizing the price we established the trade-in value of 2006 20' Safari. After all said and done I told the dealer that I will pay in cash right there and then if they throw in a solar panel without any additional cost, which they agreed to it I rest is history. We also found out that there was another buyer from Colorado interested in that unit. Already have over 10K miles and loving it.
Good luck for your new purchase, my only advice it to get what you really want even if it is slightly expensive because you have to live in it for many night and will not wonder: I wish I would baught the . . . . . .

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote