Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Unhappy disappointed with Airstream

I purchased a 2005 25' International a little over 1 year ago and have had a slew of problems ever since.. many of which since the day I took delivery.

1. Shower door leaks!! dealer has attempted to fix it several times but it still leaks and has caused water damage to the floors!
2. shower head will not turn completely off.. dealer replaced head but problem persists!!
3. Cable TV connections didn't work.. dealer had to redo wiring.
4. Lights in back of camper didn't work, dealer had to redo some electrical.
5. Leaks, Leaks, and more Leaks!! Dealer has attempted to fix leaks but every time it rains we get leaks!!!
6. Air conditioner stopped working.. taking it in tomorrow.
7. Battery doesn't charge when plugged into AC.. only when plugged into tow vehicle.
8. Numerous problems with fit and finish!!
9. oh, yeah.. the black tank level indicator has not worked since the day we got the unit! Dealer hasn't been able to fix it.

Is this normal? I am about at the end of my rope with the unit. I mean, I expect things to go wrong, but not this many problems in the first year! My dealer is 175miles away so it's costly everytime I take it in for repair. Should I approach the dealer or Airstream about a replacement unit?
jameskk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
I am sorry you have these issues and glad you are taking them in to have them repaired. The shower head will not shut completely off by design. If your batteries are not charging even though as soon as you plug your trailer in the disconnect light comes on the batterries will not charge unless you hit your discoonect to the use position. I suggest turning it on then plug your trailer in to make sure the relay is engauged.

Who is your dealer
Old 05-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hi jameskk.

First off, sorry to hear the problems and frustrations. You are not alone with some of the things you are experianceing. Here are a few thoughts on a couple of your concerns.

Our shower had a leak neaar the door and I found that the bottom rail that extends over the shower pan needed caulking. I also noticed that I could spot light between the edges of the rough opening and the door. I decided to caulk that myself and so far it seems to have worked.

I also decided to do this myself because I figured 1) I know how to be dangerous with a caulk gun, and 2) no one would be as careful/thorough as me.

Your leaky shower: I am assuming that you mean when the shower valve is on, and you push the slider thingie on the shower head to "off" while soaping up, or whatever you're doing, and water still comes out at a pretty good clip. Mine has done that as well, and my fix for that is to turn the main shower valve off until I need water. Low tech, and it's not an excuse for why this happens, but for now, until I get a replacement head. I know that others have had this situation as well, agian you're not alone.

I've given up on calibrating the tank monitors. They just don't work as well as my own two eyes. When our gray is filled, it lets us know by starting to back up in the shower pan. The black I can sight down the pooper and get an idea of fullness pretty acurately. And freshwater is inconveniently located under our dinette seat, so in a pinch I can check that on occasion.

Your other issues are of more concern and should be discussed with Airstream. They are very responsive to these things I hear, and maybe they can deal with your dealer to get these straightened out.

Maybe someone else can add to this.

Best wishes.

Jonathan
Old 05-21-2006, 04:08 PM   #4
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Hi JP.

Any idea why "by design" the shower head does not turn off completely. I'm curious because over the span of bathing, one can go through a lot of water that just drips out of that shower head, not to mention the wear and tear on the pump running.

Is there a reason that the shower head should not be totally off?

Just curious.

Jonathan
Old 05-21-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
sorry to hear about your problems. You should really consider making an appointment and taking the thing beck to the factory.
A leaky shower door should not damage the floor if the floor is properly sealed.
the shower head will not turn off by design.
what specificly was wrong with the calbe TV connections? They are wired a little funny.
leaks? where outside? that should not be.
black tank level indicator has been a problem according to Chris at the factory. If it is that bad I would consider getting the factory to fix it all or take it back.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Question

Let me start by saying thanks for the nice responses! I also want to let everyone know that my dealer is tops! Whenever I take my unit in, they are very responsive and easy to work with. That being said.. a few more details about my problems.

1. my dealer has a machine which pressurizes the inside of the trailer while they coat the outside with soapy water.. this creates bubbles whereever there is a leak.. they have performed this procedure more than once on my trailer but I still get leaks when it rains.

2. The shower head keep running a little when I turn it off on the wall using the large metal dial, not the small plastic one on the shower head. Some of you say this is by design? that doesn't make sense??? ours worked fine for several months before starting to run. if we were camping without water hookup then we would have to turn the pump on/off each time we ran water or else all our water would be depleted in an hour or so Again, this doesn't make sense why someone would say this is by design.

3. I have made sure the relay is in the use position but it still doesn't charge when plugged in. same thing happened a while back and the dealer suggested that I plug into the vehicle to reset the relay then place in use position and plug into AC.. I tried that this time but it won't charge!!

anyway, I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow to look at the Air, among other things.. I will discuss my disappointment with them further.

thanks again
Old 05-21-2006, 05:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
When the shower faucet valve is in the off position, absolutely no water should come out of the shower head. When the econo push lever is off, a trickle of water exits the shower head. By design? I thought of this after I completely pushed the lever through the shower to replace the O-ring. It was getting very hard to push back and forth. I think the reason it allows trickle flow is to keep warm water flowing through the hose and head so you won't get scalded or go into hyperthermic shock from cold water or the hose cooling off. I didn't design it, but that's my theory and I'm sticking with it.

Airstream is the best of the best - just imagine what the quality is like in the worst. Half empty/half full. I feal your frustrations - keep after the dealer and the company.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
"By Design" Leaking at Shower Head

The on/off button or lever on your hand held shower head leaks by design to keep the H20 at that temperature that you have selected using the shower mixing valve itself. If the hand held shut off did not allow a drizzle of water, the water wouldn't be at that desired temperature when you turned the shower head back on. It's a nice feature that can actually save water if you take "Navy" showers; get the water temp you like, wet down, turn the shower off (to a drizzle) at the shower head, soap up, turn the shower back on, rinse off.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:19 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
The on/off button or lever on your hand held shower head leaks by design to keep the H20 at that temperature that you have selected using the shower mixing valve itself. If the hand held shut off did not allow a drizzle of water, the water wouldn't be at that desired temperature when you turned the shower head back on. It's a nice feature that can actually save water if you take "Navy" showers; get the water temp you like, wet down, turn the shower off (to a drizzle) at the shower head, soap up, turn the shower back on, rinse off.
thanks, I see what you mean now... but my head is leaking when I turn off at main (faucet leaver).
Old 05-21-2006, 06:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskk
thanks, I see what you mean now... but my head is leaking when I turn off at main (faucet leaver).
I suspect the dealer misunderstood your description of the problem, just as we did. To replace the mixing valve itself, would have entailed removing the shower stall. Had he done a job that major, I'm sure he would have tested it before he reinstalled the stall.

It's more likely, he replaced the hand held shower head.

If the mixing valve itself won't shut off, I believe you need a new valve cartridge.

Hope this helps
Old 05-21-2006, 06:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
It sounds like some debis is lodge in your main shower valve or one of the o-rings has a tare . This is very common with new or reworked plumbing , the process of installing the plumbing will leave a small partical of plastic or solder in the pipe that eventually finds it's way to the valve . Your dealer should remove the valve cartridge and inspect . It should not leak with the valve shut off .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:04 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Thonotosassa , Florida
shower leakge

When you push the button on the shower head the water folow is reduced to a tricleby design. If you were to drop the head and leave it at the bottom of the shower, it could be in dirty water. If the water pressure were to drop to zero ou could suck dirty water into the potable water supply contaminating both your water tank and possibly any community water supply that the trailer might be hooked to. This is a national plumbing code requirement and also applys tothe sprayer in your home kitchen sink and all lawn hoses that you might hook to your home.
Airstream uses shower faucets that have a replaceable cartridge that controls the water flow. These usually are available at any home center or plumbing supplier. Normally under twenty bucks. and they are replacable with normal household tools. Just tell the supplier what brand of faucet you have..{Delta, Price phister. Moen, etc. }
Curt
minuet7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by minuet7.3
When you push the button on the shower head the water folow is reduced to a tricleby design. If you were to drop the head and leave it at the bottom of the shower, it could be in dirty water. If the water pressure were to drop to zero ou could suck dirty water into the potable water supply contaminating both your water tank and possibly any community water supply that the trailer might be hooked to. This is a national plumbing code requirement
What! You mean after all these years of relishing the practical functionality of the drizzling shower head, it was really an overprotective government looking out for me?
Old 05-21-2006, 08:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by minuet7.3
When you push the button on the shower head the water folow is reduced to a tricleby design. If you were to drop the head and leave it at the bottom of the shower, it could be in dirty water. If the water pressure were to drop to zero ou could suck dirty water into the potable water supply contaminating both your water tank and possibly any community water supply that the trailer might be hooked to. This is a national plumbing code requirement and also applys tothe sprayer in your home kitchen sink and all lawn hoses that you might hook to your home.
Airstream uses shower faucets that have a replaceable cartridge that controls the water flow. These usually are available at any home center or plumbing supplier. Normally under twenty bucks. and they are replacable with normal household tools. Just tell the supplier what brand of faucet you have..{Delta, Price phister. Moen, etc. }
Curt
My '89 has an anti siphon feature where the hose exits the control valve. I don't know of any kitchen sprayers in my home or trailer or garden hoses that have this trickle feature. When I turn the shower valve off, the water in the hose drains back to the anti siphon valve and exits into the shower. Thinking more about it, the water saver sprayer for my Thetford toilet is identical to a kitchen sprayer - water doesn't trickle out.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:04 AM   #15
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
What ever it is, design or not, it's dumb and wastes water and fills the gray tank quicker, which, if your boondocking and water is not conveniently located, every drop counts.

Some owners have installed an additional shut-off between the shower head and the flexible hose.

We are not expecting to be camping at the Four Seasons Hotel, so a small distress of of momentary cool water is not an issue for us. This sure beats the solar-shower 5 gallon bag we used to have to hang from the tail gate of our van before we got our AS

Jonathan
Old 05-22-2006, 11:46 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
JamesKK: Just to chime in here, sorry you having difficulty.

Just came back from camping at San Clemente State Park, Calif. One of camp hosts at the park had just bought a new 25 foot Safari and it was a "lemon" per his statement. Called Jackson, and after several discussions, all money back including taxes/license everything. He turned around and from same dealer he bought 25 footer bought a 2006 28 SE LS Safari International. Loves it, and was excited to see our exact same unit as his, except ours is not the International.

See if you can exchange for a brand new unit, as your conscious feels best for you.

Robert and Sherry
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Where do you Live?

You have had too many problems with your Airstream. It's too bad. I bought a 2005 22ft CCD with a few minor problems, then traded up this year to a 2006 25ft Safari Front Bed Special Edition - sort of a hybrid Safari/CCD. Both have had very minor problems that my dealer has addressed adequately. I think your problems must be somewhat dealer related as a really good A/S dealer would have double checked and caught most of them before ever turning the unit over to you.

First, I'd seriously consider taking it to Jackson Center Ohio if you're anywhere within 200-500 miles. Call first and have a complete list of problems, both past and present. If the factory is out of range, there are many great dealers out there who can really do a fine job.

Give us your location and the suggestions for good vs. mediocre maintenance shops will roll in.

This is a resource and there are lots of folks ready and eager to help you.

Paula Ford

Illigitimi non Carborundum!
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree with Paula completely. I had a few issues with our 25' Safari (2004). Jackson Center took great care of me. They did a really great job IMHO and would suggest anyone give them a chance. Of course, our unit didn't leak everywhere as you seem to be indicating, but I had a 3 page list of nickel and dime stuff that they hammered out.

One was the tank sensor system. They hit it dead on and so far it works flawlessly since they re-calbrated it.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:57 PM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskk
Normally there is some residual water that comes out of the head after the water gets shut off. I've had two newer Airstreams and each did the same. The water gets shut off, and the water flow from the head stops. Then within a minute or two you get a small stream of water which comes out of the head. It then drips for a few minutes and finally stops. It's almost like some inner valve in the head holding water and finally releases to let the balance of the water in the head to drain out. More of an annoyance especially if you have dried out the insides and that last bit of water starts flowing from the head and splashes everything again.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:11 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Having just bought a 2006 and actually reading the manual (ok, anal, I know, I know ...) it says the shower head continues to drizzle just to remind you the water is turned on. Keeps you from turning on the water, turning off the shower head, and building up too much pressure in the lines. But hey, I'm not saying Big Brother isn't involved somehow, too! Still, it clearly shouldn't leak if the main faucet is turned off.

I've had a number of minor things go wrong in my new one also (broken shower door lock, broken awning knob, some popped interior rivets) but nothing like you've experienced and I haven't had it in the rain yet. Hurricane season starts in 11 days though so that sucker better be air tight when I need it to be!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote