Old 05-22-2006, 10:04 AM   #15
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
What ever it is, design or not, it's dumb and wastes water and fills the gray tank quicker, which, if your boondocking and water is not conveniently located, every drop counts.

Some owners have installed an additional shut-off between the shower head and the flexible hose.

We are not expecting to be camping at the Four Seasons Hotel, so a small distress of of momentary cool water is not an issue for us. This sure beats the solar-shower 5 gallon bag we used to have to hang from the tail gate of our van before we got our AS

Jonathan

Old 05-22-2006, 12:46 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
JamesKK: Just to chime in here, sorry you having difficulty.

Just came back from camping at San Clemente State Park, Calif. One of camp hosts at the park had just bought a new 25 foot Safari and it was a "lemon" per his statement. Called Jackson, and after several discussions, all money back including taxes/license everything. He turned around and from same dealer he bought 25 footer bought a 2006 28 SE LS Safari International. Loves it, and was excited to see our exact same unit as his, except ours is not the International.

See if you can exchange for a brand new unit, as your conscious feels best for you.

Robert and Sherry

Old 05-22-2006, 02:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Where do you Live?

You have had too many problems with your Airstream. It's too bad. I bought a 2005 22ft CCD with a few minor problems, then traded up this year to a 2006 25ft Safari Front Bed Special Edition - sort of a hybrid Safari/CCD. Both have had very minor problems that my dealer has addressed adequately. I think your problems must be somewhat dealer related as a really good A/S dealer would have double checked and caught most of them before ever turning the unit over to you.

First, I'd seriously consider taking it to Jackson Center Ohio if you're anywhere within 200-500 miles. Call first and have a complete list of problems, both past and present. If the factory is out of range, there are many great dealers out there who can really do a fine job.

Give us your location and the suggestions for good vs. mediocre maintenance shops will roll in.

This is a resource and there are lots of folks ready and eager to help you.

Paula Ford

Illigitimi non Carborundum!
Old 05-22-2006, 03:06 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree with Paula completely. I had a few issues with our 25' Safari (2004). Jackson Center took great care of me. They did a really great job IMHO and would suggest anyone give them a chance. Of course, our unit didn't leak everywhere as you seem to be indicating, but I had a 3 page list of nickel and dime stuff that they hammered out.

One was the tank sensor system. They hit it dead on and so far it works flawlessly since they re-calbrated it.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:57 PM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskk
thanks, I see what you mean now... but my head is leaking when I turn off at main (faucet leaver).
Normally there is some residual water that comes out of the head after the water gets shut off. I've had two newer Airstreams and each did the same. The water gets shut off, and the water flow from the head stops. Then within a minute or two you get a small stream of water which comes out of the head. It then drips for a few minutes and finally stops. It's almost like some inner valve in the head holding water and finally releases to let the balance of the water in the head to drain out. More of an annoyance especially if you have dried out the insides and that last bit of water starts flowing from the head and splashes everything again.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:11 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Having just bought a 2006 and actually reading the manual (ok, anal, I know, I know ...) it says the shower head continues to drizzle just to remind you the water is turned on. Keeps you from turning on the water, turning off the shower head, and building up too much pressure in the lines. But hey, I'm not saying Big Brother isn't involved somehow, too! Still, it clearly shouldn't leak if the main faucet is turned off.

I've had a number of minor things go wrong in my new one also (broken shower door lock, broken awning knob, some popped interior rivets) but nothing like you've experienced and I haven't had it in the rain yet. Hurricane season starts in 11 days though so that sucker better be air tight when I need it to be!
Old 05-22-2006, 05:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Main shower valve should be complete shutoff...

All the posters are right about the little shutoff on the shower nozzle head, which should let water drizzle to maintain temperature. If main on/off valve leaks, it is likely due to defective cartirdge or crud (technically-foreign object(s)) in the valve body. I'd use owner manual info to remove removable cartridge and look inside with flashlight for crud. Failing that, I'd take unit to plumbing supply/home hardware store and see if you can match it. Many Moen or Delta cartridges are easy to match and replace. Others (like NIBCO from 1980's..) not so easy...

Yes it should have been fixed by dealer, but yours is far away and (so far..) not doing very well at fixing things... Betwen the owner's manual, some basic tools and this website, you can get a lot done. Idea of letting Airstream factory take on wiring and tank and other fundamental problems a good one also...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
One was the tank sensor system. They hit it dead on and so far it works flawlessly since they re-calbrated it.
That's very encouraging, especially since the black tank sensor is on my (growing) list of nickle, dime, and dollar list of concerns for the trip to Jackson Center.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
The idea of pressurizing the trailer to find leaks sounds cool. I would think there would be large air leaks through the fridge, storage compartment doors, plumbing, wiring holes, and the ceiling vents won't hold much pressure... It sounds like a futile effort.

The battery charging problem should be easy to isolate with a volt meter... I am amazed they can't fix that one! The shower control valve cartridge is another easy fix.

You said the dealer is good... although they have not been able to fix your trailer. Perhaps they are personable, yet incompetent?
Old 05-22-2006, 09:29 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
ditto on the sensor unit

Ours gave up the ghost just when we were back flushing. Thank heavens it was the 2nd time thru, as we had a "full" head of water before we caught on to the problem. It is on our "fix it" warranty list. In all fairness things like the sensor failure is really not A/S fault, but the product MFC. While we have had some major issuses, FWIW A/S has always been fair in addressing and repairing any problems we've encountered with our 04. Our issuses may differ somewhat, in that I feel they were not made by A/S production, but by related products made by others. But, if your unit appears to be like a lemon, smells like a lemon, then it's probably a ---. That dripping after the faucet is turned off and the shower walls are dry, is something else .
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:43 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Leaks

[You said the dealer is good... although they have not been able to fix your trailer. Perhaps they are personable, yet incompetent?[/quote]

Now that is a Politicaly correct statment .

Now, When my trailer took a tree hit I had a few leaks to fix. I used a garden hose and soaked it down to reveal the leaks. Most leaks on the exterior can be sealed with the acrylic -R sealent and this is what worked for me, tell them to just re-seal all the aluminum seams on the unit after a thoughough cleaning. The soap bubble meathode sounds a little flawed as mentioned.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:10 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
That's very encouraging, especially since the black tank sensor is on my (growing) list of nickle, dime, and dollar list of concerns for the trip to Jackson Center.
I went round and round with the tank sensor issue. I had 2 units blow 1 LED let alone not read correctly. Airstream connected me with the owner of the company that built the unit. He sent me the calibrating instructions. They are on this forum somewhere (and my server is running again). He also overnighted me a new control unit that I installed and shipped back the defective one back to him.

At any rate, I came close when I calibrated it, but never hit it right on. Well, I stored the unit and in the spring, before going to Jackson Center, the same LED blew out again. So, JC replaced the unit and recalibrated it. Since last April, the thing has been dead on. So much so that when the black tank goes red (full), it's about 5 inches from the drop valve. Fresh tank when the it hits the full mark starts spitting out water and the grey tank, the second it hits red, I hear spitting coming from the shower drain. The battery level always seems good.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'm very pleased with how well it works now. I had all but given up before JC dealt with it.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:13 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

UPDATE: took the unit to my dealer on Monday and they fixed the AC (was a bad electrical connection). They said the shower needed the valve replaced but part was not in-stock. They also found a leak in the toilet valve (flush handle) and replaced it, but they charged me $100 for the part and labor.. said this was out of warranty??? How long is the warranty on the toilet??
Old 05-24-2006, 10:27 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskk
UPDATE: took the unit to my dealer on Monday and they fixed the AC (was a bad electrical connection). They said the shower needed the valve replaced but part was not in-stock. They also found a leak in the toilet valve (flush handle) and replaced it, but they charged me $100 for the part and labor.. said this was out of warranty??? How long is the warranty on the toilet??
2 years, same as everything else originally on the delivered trailer. They took you an that one.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote