Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #61

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith032 View Post
A lot of good info....

I was at the dealer just now for about an hour walking through a bunch of different sizes and models.

The flying cloud is def. the "cheaper" model. The cabinets have the dull look, the flying cloud also has laminate countertops (i believe, i know they're cheaper and cant have hot pots on them) instead of the formica. International has the different blinds and also comes "standard" with the $3500 Automatic awning.

Now I just need to figure out what size to get.... thanks for all the helpful info.
Interestingly enough size seems to be the biggest motivator in folks trading in their Airstreams. The vast majority of size issues are space related. Space may manifest itself in different forms. Sometimes its storage, sometimes it's the bed (those queens stuck in corners where you have to crawl over your partner to get out), bathroom size (side bath vs center bath), need more bed space for additional people. According to my dealer, the smaller trailers turn over the quickest after the new owners spend a year or two with them and realize that more room is needed.

I have good friends who decided to buy a new Classic and were torn between a 27' and 30' model. They had dogs, no kids. I encouraged them to go with the 30' and felt they would appreciate the space. The cost differential between the two sizes was truly minimal. They took the 27' model with a front bedroom. It had the rear entry door and the table, lounge area in the back. Ended up after 2 years they sold it. Why? They commented that there just wasn't enough maneuvering space due to the dogs always being in the dining/lounge area. The 30' model with its extra space and more traditional layout gave them a lot more space without the dogs being underfoot.

Airstreams are not large trailers inside and consider carefully whether too much closeness may be a sore point after the you get to the second or third year of ownership. If you find yourself saying that there is something about the layout that aren't thrilled about, but you can deal with it, understand that issue will probably be the one that will eat at you and eventually make you want to trade.

We traded our 27' Safari for a 30' Classic Slideout. Our reasoning was getting a slide out and the extra living space it afforded, the lack of a fixed dinette in the Safari (this was the issue that we said we could live with but ended up nagging at us), a larger center bath, and going from twin beds to the queen. To get those things in the Classic we gave up the double closet in the Safari to a single closet in the Classic. The biggest regret on the Classic was the queen bed room in the Classic. Due to the size of the bed, the walk around space in the bedroom is very limited. If I had to do it again I probably would chose the Classic with the twin bedroom.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We acquired a 2015 23D International Serenity in addition to the 31' Classic. We use it to go to locations for long weekends where the Classic could be too big. It certainly is much more confining, but we can tow it with my 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel.

The Mercedes is an easier vehicle to drive around in at the destination than the 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins.

Both trailers have had extensive modifications including solar (500 watts on the 23D and 900 watts on the Classic), lithium batteries (300 amp-hours in the 23D and 600 amp-hours in the Classic), Trump instant on water heaters, Vitrifrigo refrigerators and the CU-434 stoves. So the amenities are similar in both trailers.

I have spent six weeks solo in the 23D while working on the electrical upgrade at our summer Airstream only RV park in Lakeside, AZ (Ponderosa Shadows). I will be going back up in a couple of days for another six weeks in the 23D until my wife returns from taking a shift of caring for her Mum in the UK.

At that time we will switch trailers and take the23D back and bring the Classic up for the remaining six or seven weeks of the season.

The wife loves both, so everyone is happy.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I suppose choosing the 30 was trying to get a floor plan/layout closest to our sob trailer which we loved-
Separate, distinct bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and living room areas-
Hard to achieve under 30'-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:42 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
This is one of my favorite topics on the forum- models and floorpans. Last week I spent about two hours at the Airstream dealer in three different trailers. I took my time to run sound tests on the ducted AC (all of them were powered) and I had my tape measure.

As I shared once before, the 25 and 27 are quite similar as is the 28. They had a 25 twin and a 26 twin that I hadn't compared before. I found them to be quite similar. The wall-to-wall bathroom measure of the 26 twin is 43.5"x39". The long skinny foot deep vanity widens only at the sink. It is also an all-in-one bathroom with shower included. The floor space is about 28"x23". The bedroom is the same except for the lockers and a small drawer chest on one side of the bedroom. The larger bathroom module replaces the side sofa of the 25' in the 26 has a multi-use seating area.

The 25' twin bedroom is the same bed-wise without the cabinet drawers. The bathroom measures 41"x37" with a floorspace of 22"x20". The 25' also has a vanity mirror versus the window and portable mirror of the 26. So, there is a difference between these two. The biggest difference I note is the lounge area - the U multi-purpose lounge versus the dinette and side couch.

Compare the bath to my Safari 25 - 37.5"x39" with 21.5"x18" floorspace, same size bed area but with two hanging wardrobes instead of one. I have a couch but now, real furniture- a Villa as Switz put it with regard to the Classics.

BTW, the Flying Cloud uses Formica as does/did the Safari and the International. A few years ago I received a sample of the greenish slate Formica of the Flying Cloud.

I really like the 26. The more time I spent in it I realized how open it is. It has a pantry and oven like the 25 and a wardrobe with nice counter space in the kitchen. The floorpan is the closest I have seen to my Safari, which I also like, but in a newer trailer. The 28' L Lounge is an open plan too but the U lounge is seemingly more comfortable.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:47 PM   #65
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith032 View Post
Ive been to the airstream site numerous times. I've been inside about 100 new ones. But you mean this awesome (Sarcasm) comparison on their site?

Airstream, Inc :: Compare

Like I said, theres nothing but cosmetic differences to me. Other than color or "decor" in the airstream world I see nothing. Was hoping for someone with a little more insight to it.

Maybe the international has automatic awnings, or has better plumbing or something. To me the Flying clouds are priced a little lower, but I dont see a difference between the 2.

Its not like buying a Chevy or a Cadillac, but is it like buying a fully loaded Cadillac to a stock one?
The comparison tool is useless.

Aside from the obvious, as far as I can tell, the International gives you some things the Flying Cloud doesn't :

-- Corian counter in the kitchen
-- Lights inside the cabinets
-- Lights inside the EXTERNAL compartments (does FC have these?)
-- Fancier faucets. (Even my incredibly fashionable sister in law was shocked at the fact that the faucets in our trailer are nicer than the ones in her remodeled-without-budget-concerns home.

... and that's it!
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:53 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
The comparison tool is useless.

Aside from the obvious, as far as I can tell, the International gives you some things the Flying Cloud doesn't :

-- Corian counter in the kitchen
-- Lights inside the cabinets
-- Lights inside the EXTERNAL compartments (does FC have these?)
-- Fancier faucets. (Even my incredibly fashionable sister in law was shocked at the fact that the faucets in our trailer are nicer than the ones in her remodeled-without-budget-concerns home.

... and that's it!
Our 2017 25' FC has illuminated exterior storage compartments.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The few minor upgrades from a Flying Cloud to the International series sure do not push the cost numbers for about a $5,000 difference in list price.

The International series have (at least on our 2015 23D International Serenity) German hinges on all the cabinet doors and closets as well as door pulls. For about $0.50 more per hinge, they could have included the German plastic lock piece that keeps the hinges installed.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
There are personal preferences on some things. Some posts mention the preference of sliding door lockers. I find that less appealing as dirt, etc. gets caught in the tracks. The airplane lockers are my preference. I also have seen quite a few broken tambor-style lockers.

The corian counter tops are nice. The bones are the same IMHO from the Sport to the Classics- obvious differences like windows and plywood/laminate vs. wood cabinets aside.