Old 05-31-2004, 03:02 PM   #1

Lightbulb Did you get an Airstream from your parents?

Hi everyone. I'm a writer working on a magazine piece about people who got their first Airstream from their parents/grandparents (you don't need to still have it). Could be for a gift, or perhaps you inherited it.

If you'd like to talk to me for possible inclusion in my story, please e-mail me directly at Robdoc@startribune.com or give me a call at home at 612-722-1124 (Minneapolis, MN, but you don't need to be from area). Thank you very much.

--Robyn

Old 05-31-2004, 06:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdoc
Hi everyone. I'm a writer working on a magazine piece about people who got their first Airstream from their parents/grandparents (you don't need to still have it). Could be for a gift, or perhaps you inherited it...
I got mine from my uncle. While probably not worth a story, I have fond memories of the event.

Tom

Old 05-31-2004, 10:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Because of my Grandfather

I got mine because of my Grandfather. Growing up, I would always play in my grandfather's 67 Airstream. He had a 61 and then a 67. I always wanted it, but never told him. In 1990, he sold it for $1500 and the guy that bought it took off after paying initial $300 and then never another dime. It's since been junked. In 1998, my grandfather passed away, and I bought my 1985 34' Limited in his memory. I'm slowly updating it, but am living in it full time, with his Blue Beret haning here in the galley. A few weeks ago, my Aunts gave me pictures of them and my grandfather at 1962 / 63 Rallies in Florida, as they would go south every winter from New York. So, no, I did not get my Airstream from my parents, or family, I got it because of them! Airstreaming skipped a generation (my Aunts and Uncles) but I'm fully into it!

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:25 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

My Uncle Ronald

I got my love of AS from my great-Uncle Ronald. He started buying AS in the late 50's and would tow them with those huge old sedans. He belonged to the WBCCI and was the photographer for his caravan (or THE caravan, not sure). He and his family toured all over North America and down into Mexico in the 60's.

One story of his that I remember is how these rigs climbed mountains in the Rockies. Some cars could make it up a mountain towing their rig but some couldn't. So the ones that could, dropped off their rigs and drove back down, hitched up to the "weaker" car, and then the two cars would tow the next rig up the mountain!

I loved Uncle Ronald's AS and now I have a '66 Trade Wind, carrying on the tradition.

Connie
Old 06-01-2004, 09:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
He belonged to the WBCCI and was the photographer for his caravan (or THE caravan, not sure). He and his family toured all over North America and down into Mexico in the 60's.
Do you have any of your grandfather's pictures? Would be pretty cool if you did...and could post some!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:10 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

pix

I asked his daughter about that and she is looking around to see what she can find. Also I am just curious about what models he bought. (They are from Michigan and I live in NC.)

Connie
Old 06-01-2004, 11:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Sort of . . .

Last fall my girlfriend Lorrie and I purchased our first Airstream (a '66 Overlander, by coincidence ). This particular trailer was also Lorrie's parents first Airstream. They sold it in 1976 to neighbors. The neighbors can no longer pull it and finally decided to sell it last year. We obviously bought it and were able to get the neighbors' WBCCI numbers reassigned to us so that we don't have to change the numbers on the trailer. And we can still see the ghostly outline of the original WBCCI numbers on the trailer that belonged to Lorrie's parents. Hard to beleive they're still visible after 28 years off the trailer.

Right now we're trying to get the trailer ready for it's first trip (with us), which will be to the WBCCI International Rally in Lansing, Michigan, later this month.

Joe
Old 06-02-2004, 09:39 AM   #8
Site Team

, Minnesota
Robyn,

You can check posts 7, 10, 11 and 14 in the following thread. http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=6918