Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2003, 02:08 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Delorme Earthmate GPS

I blew $100 on the new Earthmate GPS. It is a really neat package , just about 1 1/2" x 2" x 5/8" and with a USB interface.

I ran it first with Microsoft Streets and Trips. It locked in very quickly and put the icon right on my house.

I then tried it with Delorme Streets and Trips 2003 with a lot less success. It located me about 1/2 mile away in the next subdivision. Not only that, but the icon keeps hunting around in a circle where with Streets & Trips the icon was rock solid.

I have a trouble report filed with Delorme. In the meantime, I love how the Earthmate MSworks with the MS program. In fact, I intend to take the laptop with me tonight (using MS S&T) and give it a road test.

Has anyone else given this new GPS a try?
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 12:51 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
GPS position error

I received the following reply from DeLorme support:

Quote:
Unfortunately, that is a data error. That given area, the data has been shifted. You can't correct that, it's all in the programming code. We do ask people to email data@delorme.com and mention the correction. Thanks
It appears that they have mis-coded our whole neighborhood since it shows me in the adjoining village. That explains why a couple of streets don't quite jibe with reality
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 02:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Sts & Trips '03

John,

I was eyeing the S & T 2003 at Sams Club the other day and was wondering if it would work with any handheld GPS unit.

The GPS that I am thinking about is the Garmin Map 76. I know that already has a base map in it. They want to sell you a more detailed street map (or waterway one) for about $80-90 as a dnload. The reason for the map one is to use it one the water.

Then when in the truck, I could use it with the Streets and Trips on my laptop or solo when not booted up.

I'm not into the one that talks to you now - (but realize how that may be a great advantage when on the road by yourself).

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 02:26 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
We just got back from a trip where we went on a 4 mile hike in the woods. A GPS would have made life a whole bunch easier since they paint a mark on every few trees and the paths go in many directions.

So I too will be looking for a GPS at some point. This is all good info.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 04:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I have two units.
A hand held older model Lowrance plotter (no map ) that I used connected to a laptop serial port with Street Atlas running on the PC. Works great but takes up to much room.

I have the Lowrance iFinder Plus and the maping program that came with it. The map program is on two CD's and covers the entire US. I can load the iFinder with up to 128mb of data on a MMC or SD card the size of a postage stamp. It only works with the Lowrance mapping program.

Problem with the iFinder, it's to small and hard to see at night but it fits next to the door column on my truck and takes up no space.
It has all the mapping features of a full size PC such as find a hotel , street address ect.

The Garmin requires you to by area maps and I think it takes six maps at $75 to $150 each. Can't remember but it was having to buy all the maps and over time the updates that turned me off the other GPS units.

I think the best option if you have the room is the PC and Street Atlas.

garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote