Old 01-28-2004, 08:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Just got off the phone w/A.S. cust. svc. "stainless front stove/oven does not come std. with cover"...something to do with the stainless 'look'.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadKingMoe
IIRC, there's a stainless cover available for the cook-tops and ovens.
How do I find one? The counter top space in the 25 is VERY sm., we could use the space.

Old 01-28-2004, 01:00 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
My neighbor brought home an '04 Safari two months ago and his has the ss appliances without the cover (my '03 is the black scheme and includes the cover). Doesn't sound right and I agree that it adds valuable space when closed.
Good luck (I'd love to convert all the fronts of my stuff to ss if it were reasonable).
Old 01-28-2004, 02:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
My biggest relief was knowing the sales-rep was not 'winging it'!
Old 01-28-2004, 03:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

The galley counter space problem on the 25' is perhaps the worst of all the coaches. Too much is crammed in too little space. My solution was a new countertop, a two burner cooktop, and a single bowl sink. Not likely to be an attractive option for someone with a brand new coach. (click on the "photos" button below to see what it looks like).

For the life of me, I cannot see why Airstream does not offer something like this as an option in the 25'.

Some people have installed flip up counter extensions on the end - but it blocks the entry door.

You may want to try RV salvage yards for a cooktop cover. It is amazing how many nearly new RVs are totaled on a regular basis. You may very well be able to find one that is as new.

Mark
Old 01-28-2004, 03:28 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

<Airstream "sticker" showed a 3-burner stove/oven with bi-fold cover> Seems to me if it is shown on the web also, this item should materialize. Otherwise it looks like false advertising to me.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:01 PM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
MaShep....there is a little blurb that specs are subject to change without notice. I would assume this also is covered by that disclaimer.

As for the counter space, our Safari SS came with sink covers that can also be used as counter space. True the stove cover would have also added to this space. We cook quite a bit and compared to the Bambi, the 25' Safari is much better than the Bambi. Now compared to the Classic perhaps it is a bit lacking, but we haven't seen any problem with the config of the 25'!

We very much like the dual sinks at it make washing the dishes much easier. At some point when I can admin to my photos, I will update them with interior shots of the galley and the sink covers.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:03 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

<..there is a little blurb that specs are subject to change without notice. I would assume this also is covered by that disclaimer.>
Yeah...
The question seems to be are the "specs" different from one AS to the next one that comes from the factory? What exactly can we expect we are buying? I'm referencing from personal experience and comparisons made with 2004 16CCDs owners. Not just major changes like holding tanks and wrap around windows front and back. Other items like awnings, fire extinguishers, the Bambi logos, the extra hose attachment for the tank flush, cushions and more.
Yes, each Airstream is hand built and I appreciate that. I also appreciate the efforts Airstream is making in resolving quality control issues.
I'm interested in hearing what the resolve is for the burner cover.
BTW, there's a white cover (cutting board) shown on the sink for the 16CCD on Airstream.com, sure would be nice to have it.
Cheers, Linda
Old 01-28-2004, 06:21 PM   #23
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I think part of the problem is that the website is not keeping up with what is going on in the factory.

This happens in the auto industry all the time. Just a couple of weeks after my truck was built .. Ford deleted the glove box light and the insulation blanket from under the hood. They failed to tell their customers (and dealers) who had trucks on order.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 ó Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I could not imagine not having my stove cover. There is NO counter space in the 25' and the cover is crucial! I always have stuff on it. I can not believe the factory 86 it. That was a mistake.

One of the main reasons I upgraded to the 30' Classic was for kitchen space. (& bedroom space, dining space, livingroom space...)

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:28 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree, that sink cover is sweet. I will say that every 2004 I have seen (and I've seen close to a dozen) built since August or September of 2003 as 2004 models have all had the top folds deleted if it had a stainless steel oven door cover.

I am not sure there is any resolution to be found on the issue as it was a design change made at some point after a certain date. I agree fully that the website is falling far behind what's actually happening.

If the sink covers are designed to replace the space, it seems to work well for us. Granted a stove cover would also add even more kitchen space, but then again that folding door could muck up the alum CCD type wall that the kitchens have now....

Eric
Old 01-28-2004, 06:37 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

<I think part of the problem is that the website is not keeping up with what is going on in the factory.>
This is true, but for many items the factory is just not including or installing them, as they should be.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
In our phone conversation, Airstream was straight forward about the cover. They explained, to my somewhat satisfaction, the discrepency. Stainless appliance finish, no cover. I still don't understand, but...my major concern was deceit from the dealer/sales. I'm convinced there was none, intended or otherwise. We are buying the trailer.
The problem was the actual s/n factory 'sticker' (not a brochure, or generic list) indicated the cover was included. HOWEVER, the 'sticker' also showed a 'radio/cassette'. To my delight I could only find a 'radio/CD' installed ! No problem!
...The point we should take from this is; the items listed on the new trailers 'sticker' are not always what is actually installed in that unit. I would hope the factory is more prudent in what it shows on the individual 'sticker'. It did cause some tension in the sales process that was unnecessary.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:54 PM   #28
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by MaShep

This is true, but for many items the factory is just not including or installing them, as they should be.
I don't believe that the factory is listing items and is not installing, I feel that the factory has made a specification change without notice. In this case all units that have the stainless oven door and fridge panels all do not have the stove cover.

Ed & Debbie make a good point...the sticker said AM/FM/Cassette, however the unit had a CD player. The sticker on my Bambi said 8 gallon black tank, however the tank was clearly an 18 gallon black tank. Sometimes it can be a positive change and other times it can be seen as a negitive change.

Is there conflicting info, you bet, I have no disagreement with anyone there. Heck I've emailed and also shared some of my comments with the folks at Airstream in person as well. However, I think it's reckless to make an accusation that says they are not installing things. Again, it all boils down to specifications changing without notice. Is it frustrating? Absolutely! Is it as criminal as it's being made out to be...I can't believe thatís the case.

Eric