Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2004, 05:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Customizing a new Airstream

Have any of you had any custom changes made to your new Airstream when it was being built at the factory? If so what were they?

I see reference to this on the 2004 price list, but when I asked a couple dealers about it they say they don't think the factory is doing any customizing now, but did so in the past.

I don't know specifically what I'd like to change, but I might, for example, want to have a better grade of carpet, which would be pretty easy to do I'd think.

John
Old 02-14-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I am under the impression that the factory will do just about anything you want. Just open your wallet.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 06:33 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I spoke to Jackson Center a few months back, and they emphasized they would accomodate any reasonable request, as long as the customer was willing to accomodate the price. Better grade of carpet would seem a reasonable request.
Terry
Old 02-14-2004, 08:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
My dad's current retirement job is delivering cabinets for a custom cabinetmaker in Ohio, and they supply some custom cabinets and countertops to Airstream. He said they had a couple of 20-ft.-long straight countertops to deliver to Jackson Center for a new trailer designed as a mobile computer classroom, and that they often get custom requests from Airstream.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:39 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

I think custom may have a steep pricetag.

If it is only carpet upgrade it may not be much more.

Or it could even be less costly to have new carpet laid after you take possession.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I think some forum members have had Pergo installed at the factory rather than carpet - something worth considering. It is very difficult to keep carpet clean while camping. A hard floor would be much easier to clean up.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I have a copy of a factory sales order. At the bottom it says:

"$250 CHARGE FOR DEVIATIONS FROM STANDARD PRODUCTION PLUS COST OF MATERIALS"

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Big Dee -

Yes, that's the same statement that I have. I guess I incorrectly identified the document as a price list. Mine actually says "Retail Pricing/Sales Order" on the top.

I've thought for some time that it's a shame that with all the quality components that are put in the new Airstreams, like Corian counter tops, it was a shame to have a mediocre grade of carpet, and I've always thought a top grade Berber carpet would be nice, which would also be relatively easy to clean. (It's only my wife and me now, and we always remove our shoes at the door, so the extra weight of a wood laminate like Pergo throughout isn't necessary for us.)

However, for a carpet change only, it may be just as easy to replace it later versus $250 plus the cost of materials.

Now, I'm wondering why several dealers have told me they didn't think Airstream would make changes to the standard models....

John
Old 02-15-2004, 06:54 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by flyfisher
Big Dee -
Now, I'm wondering why several dealers have told me they didn't think Airstream would make changes to the standard models....

John
Probably don't want to mess with special orders? That way they can sell what they have ordered? Just a guess. With Airstreams selling as fast as they are. I stopped by a dealer the other day, he had just gotten 2 new CCD's in and both were already sold. He said he had about 30 units on order and about half of them are already spoken for. The only thing on his lot for sale was a 30' Classic and a Safari. And one used unit. I agree with you could add the carpet later, just check to see if they run it under the furniture or not, it could make it a pain to replace. We are going with half and half in ours. Using carpet in the very front by the lounge and in the bedroom. Then vinyl from the door area into the galley and in the bath. We are going to kind of curve the transition from vinyl to carpet from the edge of the door over to the edge of the fridge cabinet. Custom at no extra cost from the factory One of the few advantages of a Vintage Unit

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 07:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
However, for a carpet change only, it may be just as easy to replace it later versus $250 plus the cost of materials.
Check around before you decide. It is a hard piece to fit with a lot of places to make a mistake, I bet a lot of installers won't even want to do it.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 07:57 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

If you can afford a new Airstream, $250.00 sounds like pitance to me.

It's like a person buying a Rolls Royce and asking what it's gas mileage is like.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 08:22 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I ordered a few non listed upgrades. One was the 15k BTU A/C unit with heat pump and the comfort contol system. The second was the Fantastic Fan in the back. Although not major mods, there was no additional charge when my '04 was ordered in October of 2003.

I did want the rear window that the 25 CCD had since they seemed dimentionally identical. I was given a flat no from the factory and I was willing to pay for the difference. So although some things might be possible, I'd contact Airstream first with your wish list as some dealers don't know the Airstream line well enough stock, let alone go the custom route.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 08:52 AM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
In most cases they will make changes if it doesn't materially affect the design of the trailer. For example you won't be able to ask for Classic style windows in a Safari.

Like Eric pointed out many times some features that are either standard or optional can be added to your Airstream even though they aren't on the standard option list.

My experience was on my 2001 Safari which did not have any Fantastic Fans, Power hitch, and spare tire and carrier on its official option list. The dealer would have done all of these add on's at his dealership but I wanted them to be done at the factory on a new built unit. The call was made and Airstream agreed. If you ever see a 2001 with the spare tire carrier, you can probably be assured that it was mine.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:47 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
John,
I don't know what model you are looking at but my new Classic has the linoleum all the way from the door to end of bathroom. The carpet is only in front of sofa and around bed. This is much better then my Safari which had carpet throughout. Now I will keep the small section of carpet in front of the sofa covered with small area rugs, I think soiled carpet will not be an issue now. I look forward to just wiping the linoleum to clean it.

Come rally with us.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:11 AM   #15
nds
3 Rivet Member

When we toured the Airstream Plant back in December, they showed us an area that is set aside for customizing the trailers. I'm surprised that a Dealer would tell you that they don't offer this option.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:24 AM   #16
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Jack.

1) Is that power switch what I think it is? A switch to cut-off any curent from the battery so you don't have to disconnect battery cables when storing?

Uhhhhh....never mind, power HITCH.

BTW is there a cut-off for the battery on these trailers?

Curious.

Jonathan
Old 02-15-2004, 11:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
There is a battery cut off behind the sofa on my Safari.

Come rally with us.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Big Dee -

I'm looking at the 30' Classic Ltd. Haven't decided yet on the slide or not, but am leaning toward getting the one without the slide. I believe this model also has the vinyl floor from the door thru to the end of the bath.

We're also undecided on whether to get the twin beds or the queen. Since my wife wants the twins, we'll probably decide to go that route.

John
Old 02-15-2004, 12:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Floor Materials

The Airstream handout floor plan sheets for all Classic and Safari models show vinyl usually from the door or kitchen area on back and carpet at the front sofa living area. The CCDs are all vinyl except the sheet says linoleum (which it definitely is not). All four of the Airstream models at the Minneapolis RV show, I think, had fake wood vinyl flooring. At first I wondered if maybe it wasn't something like Pergo.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 12:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Davydd-

The 2004 30' SO and the 2 34' SO models have carpet at the door entry. The vinyl doesn't start until you're in the kitchen area. I'm guessing that resulted from the design of the kitchen counters in these models. Personally, the carpeted entry isn't something I'd opt for.

John