My Son came up with the name,
Eye came up with the design
My Son drew it to my liking

Old 11-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #352
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Thread made me change our user name!

I was reading the interesting user names, the reasons for them & got inspired to change ours.
Our old name was dowpells...we are now School's Out.
We are 2 retired teachers...so it fit.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:19 PM   #353
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Super Troupers Plural

Reviving this thread to get some newbees to come forward with user name background. Super Trouper was the best Stage Follow Spotlight from the 50's to the 80's and an enjoyable lamp to operate. Using a Carbon Arc as the light source, you could light the whole stage or zoom to a head shot from 450 feet away. Here's a picture of a gaggle of brightly enameled Super Troupers for the Rolling Stone's '73 tour! If they had been lit the fellow in the center would have been melting!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gaggle of Super Troupers.png
Views:	93
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	206405  
Old 02-25-2014, 11:07 PM   #354
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
Reviving this thread to get some newbees to come forward with user name background. Super Trouper was the best Stage Follow Spotlight from the 50's to the 80's and an enjoyable lamp to operate. Using a Carbon Arc as the light source, you could light the whole stage or zoom to a head shot from 450 feet away. Here's a picture of a gaggle of brightly enameled Super Troupers for the Rolling Stone's '73 tour! If they had been lit the fellow in the center would have been melting!
Anything to do with the ABBA song?! I am thinking it must be a reference to this.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:10 PM   #355
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
My name is not what people think it is at all - esp. since we live in CO. (-;

We had a Great Dane named Bongo and after 12 years he passed away. He was a very big guy so we called him "The Bonginator". After he was gone, I adopted his nickname so be could live on...
Old 02-25-2014, 11:52 PM   #356
Rivet Master

Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post

Anything to do with the ABBA song?! I am thinking it must be a reference to this.
Actually, the song was inspired by the spotlights according to several sources. The Super Trouper was standard in many touring contract riders for many years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Trouper_(spotlight)

I thought about a name for the trailer fro quite a while and as I posted in an earlier thread, I consider my family my troupe, a trouper is one who perseveres and one of my most satisfying jobs in past theatrical work was operating a Carbon Arc Super Trouper which required skill and finesse. So I chose the name. Leading an actor with a lamp a few hundred feet away and anticipating their movement was really satisfying. One sure way to anger a professional touring actor is to let him or her get out of the light! I ordered the logos from the Ballantine Strong company, painted them and riveted them to the Ocean Breeze. Seemed fitting for the forum as well. - Brad
Old 02-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #357
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
Back in the day when people connected to the Internet using a 14.4 modems. I worked at a I.S.P. ( internet service provider) and I wanted a name that summed up searching for info in cyberspace. So cyberspace was reduced to Cy and the Quest to find information in the sea of ever growing data.

Sent from my LG-E617G using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 02-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #358

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
Actually, the song was inspired by the spotlights according to several sources. The Super Trouper was standard in many touring contract riders for many years.

Super Trouper (spotlight) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought about a name for the trailer fro quite a while and as I posted in an earlier thread, I consider my family my troupe, a trouper is one who perseveres and one of my most satisfying jobs in past theatrical work was operating a Carbon Arc Super Trouper which required skill and finesse. So I chose the name. Leading an actor with a lamp a few hundred feet away and anticipating their movement was really satisfying. One sure way to anger a professional touring actor is to let him or her get out of the light! I ordered the logos from the Ballantine Strong company, painted them and riveted them to the Ocean Breeze. Seemed fitting for the forum as well. - Brad
The lyrics make more sense given that. Things like "Super Trouper beams are gonna blind me" and "Super Trouper lights are gonna find me" (and yes, I looked those up... I like ABBA but not THAT much. )

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:32 PM   #359
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Olympic Peninsula , WA
Great thread, love to hear the meaning of user names.

We bought our AS as our 55th Birthday present to ourselves... Hence the name "Double Nickel".
Old 02-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #360
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I tend to use my real name online, as reminder to myself to not do or say anything that I would not be willing to say to somebody's face.

There are some drawbacks to this policy, chief among them, on this forum, the inability to discuss travel plans. I don't want the world to know when our house is empty.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #361
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Weird Stuff = because I like weird stuff and I like to write about weird stuff and I like to photograph weird stuff. I think it's good to have weird stuff in the world. Weird is good!!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #362
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
I'm a North Carolina State fan. (A university in Raleigh, NC). Grew up a State fan, always a State fan. Their mascot is the Wolfpack. State fans aren't as prevalent in this area as the Duke or UNC fans. Therefore, I call myself "lonewolf." 1977 is my birth year. There ya go: lonewolf1977. It's actually been my screen name for forums since I was in my early 20s.

Follow our blog! http://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #363
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I used to have the town we lived near plus my first name. This was hardly original, but good enough. We have that house on the market and bought another elsewhere, so I got it shortened to my first name (like Madonna). There was a Gene at the beginning of this Forum about 10 years ago, but he posted once and disappeared, so I asked for the name and got it.

There are some clever user names, but when faced with a question about what name to use, I can never come up with anything.

Gene
Old 02-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #364
Rivet Master

Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I used to have the town we lived near plus my first name. This was hardly original, but good enough. We have that house on the market and bought another elsewhere, so I got it shortened to my first name (like Madonna). There was a Gene at the beginning of this Forum about 10 years ago, but he posted once and disappeared, so I asked for the name and got it.

There are some clever user names, but when faced with a question about what name to use, I can never come up with anything.

Gene
Soon, you can be "the user formerly known as Gene". Just add a weird symbol and you're in!