Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Talking Cross Country Venture - Atlantic Ocean to Pacific Ocean

As everyone knows – a few months back a purchase was made of a new 25 foot Airstream Classic to be used not only for ventures around this great country of ours (with lots of on beach & mountain time here in California via the weekends) – but to also facilitate the actual start of my final plans of retiring to the Rocky Mountains via Steamboat Springs, Colorado – alas the “Silver Twinkie’s” primary purpose is to be used onsite during the various aspects of construction of my “Steamboat Springs Asylum”.

To coin one of my favorite phrases “let’s keep a long story short” and thus below is a cliff noted version of my venture with a link of a few of my trip pictures to share.... The details below are for my forum friends preempting the many questions I know I’ll be getting in response to this post...

For those who want to jump into the pictures and skip the dialog – just click below....
-------> 2010 UberAirZep Coast To Coast Tour - Airstream Gallery <-------

And for the dialog to help explain a few of the pictures....

I departed San Diego with my “tow vehicle” and after a quick 2 1/2 day drive east from San Diego to Maryland with the “Touareg TDI” I arrived for Zachary’s Prom and with no speeding tickets en route. I spent a few days in Maryland before I went to New Jersey to “Colonial Airstream” where I finally took possession of the “Airstream 25 foot Classic Limited” travel trailer.

Upon setup of the “ProPride Hitch” - coupling it to the mighty “T-Rex” - a few issues arose. Fortunately the hard work of the “Colonial Airstream” folks coupled with Sean of “ProPride” over nighting a few parts to better fit the trailer to the Touareg via the “ProPride Hitch” resulted in one hell of a tow package. Special thanks to Pat at “Colonial Airstream” who held my hand during the dialing in process of the “ProPride” to the “Touareg\Airstream” package (and Bill the service pro who worked the magic) complete with a trip with Pat to the parking lot of the local AA baseball team for some aggressive driving with the “Touareg\Airstream” package. Let’s just say that with 407 lbs of diesel torque of the Touareg, the Touareg’s wonderful suspension, big brakes, the suspension of the Airstream and it’s disc brakes – all coupled with the mighty “ProPride” hitch resulted in a great package. Trust me – Pat drove “hard” in that parking lot testing the rig and after myself driving over 3,000 miles towing all through the mountains of West Virginia, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Nevada & California, wind guests up to 50 mph over the Nebraska – Colorado plains, torrential downpours through Illinois and Ohio, and averaging 72 mph and 15 miles per gallon (even the mountains were no issue towing up hill at speeds of 60 – 65 but mileage did drop to 8 – 10 mpg) and back down the other sides of the mountains again - not once was there a anxious moment – the stories are true – the “Touareg’s” a wonderful tow vehicle, the “Airstream” is a great handling trailer, and the “ProPride” hitch is worth every penny and the best hitch out there!!!

But what about the actual trip?

Well – after spending two days in New Jersey on the beach in Point Pleasant while the Colonial Airstream staff performed some final tweaks to the trailer and ProPride hitch - I was off to my home in Maryland (via New Jersey & Delaware) to rest up for a day before departing out West to my San Diego residence via my future home of Steamboat Springs.

Day One of my trip had me driving west departing my home from Maryland and traveling through West Virginia, Pennsylvania and into Ohio where I took a detour and headed to the “Airstream Factory” in Jackson Center at 2:00 pm for a scheduled tour of the factory. Once the tour was over I continued west through some nasty rains starting in Indiana and continuing through the south of Chicago in Illinois where I stopped in La Salle, Illinois for the night.

Day Two had me departing Illinois and continuing West through Iowa, Nebraska and into Colorado where the winds outside of Denver were gusting up to 55 mph before stopping at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Lakewood.

Day Three had me relaxing in Lakewood – and what a rest that was heading downtown to go play in Denver while enjoying the splendor of the local hogbacks.

Day Four and I was off once more – departing to Steamboat Springs (located in the heart of the Rockies) where I had wonderful weather and stopped in town to spend the next four days. The first day had me awaken to pea sized hail that eventually turned to snow falling upon the Airstream’s roof. A bit of a blustery day but by afternoon everything was melted and the next few days were of the most wonderful spring weather one could imagine – even for mud season SteamBoat Springs is one of the most majestic, beautiful places on earth!!!

Five days latter and I was on the move once more – departing SteamBoat Springs and driving through some beautiful scenery of Utah (to include a trip through edge of the Zion National Park) with a short jaunt into Arizona before reaching Las Vegas and staying in the “Circus Circus” RV park right on the strip for a few more playful days.

Day ten and I departed Las Vegas – brought the trailer to its current home in San Diego (stopped at my beach for the “West Coast Beach Picture” of the Pacific Ocean to go along with the “East Coast Beach Picture” of the Atlantic Ocean as taken in New Jersey) before heading to my trailers luxury penthouse “Big Toy Depot” as located on the boarder (I parked it outside where they will take it inside for storage) and in my final posted picture you see that big fence – well the second bigger fence is the boarder fence and is patrolled 24x7 – no safer place to store my little “Silver Twinkie” as she is amongst many, many million dollar motor coaches and expensive cars resting comfortably inside a big ole’ house...

Although I was busy many days of my “vacation” with work (announcement of the Synthetic Lifeform, new Green House IT services, etc.) - I still had a few moments to myself – was able to recharge the batteries and “realign” my goals and get back to reality. It’s important that we all remember that life is what is important – the job just helps us achieve our dreams.

Don’t live to work, live to play as life is just too damn short....
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote