Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2003, 02:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
covers,tarps,etc

I have read where some of us are using canopies to cover their AS. What about covers? Tarps, etc...
I found a tarp 20x30 on ebay I was considering. I don't really have the room for a canopy and its poles and all.
Also saw a 30' cover, but its way more than the giant silver tarp.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 06:14 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Alan,

In a word SCRATCHES!

A tarp will stop the birds and trees from leaving a reminder, but the dust and grit that the tarp will grind into the plasticoat will be far worse. If you look on the vintage photo sites or even on ebay at the pictures of units you can pick the ones that were tarpped. They have funny shaded spots and stripes where it rubbed. Besides tarping it will add a minimum of a half-hour to departure, not to mention to minimize damage you need to wash it when you get back before you can tarp it again.

Could you utilize the trees as your poles and stretch a cover between them to park it under??
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 07:59 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Another great owner!

Hello travellors.....just in case this Hollywood fact was not
known, we just read about Clark Gable and Carol Lombard's Airstream.....pretty cool
Old 08-22-2003, 08:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Placing a tarp over the AS is not a good idea.
I doubt I will ever get all the scratches out.
Where I had a tie down rubbing it went clean through the side and required patching.
Wish I had know before I put the tarp on the damage that can be done so quickly.

My 2 cts worth.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 09:19 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Airstream does not even sell a cover. Not recommended for Airstreams.

Check on indoor storage (usually at a premium price) or one of those freestanding canopies.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
yikes. I give up on the tarp idea. I already bid on one on ebay, which I know hope I don't win....
I looked into canopies but the space I have is limited. Might be the only way to go.
Storage indoors doesn't exist in my area that I am aware of.
Oh well.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:45 PM   #7
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
10x20 tarp

ALAN,

I recently bought a silver 10x20 heavy-duty tarp, not to cover the Airstream, but to use for a sun shade; sort of a tropical top like the old Land Rovers used to have. We camped in our local campground right after we bought the trailer without trees or shade. We had to park the rear of the trailer to the west, and on a 90 degree, sunny day it just baked. I started a thread about air conditioners not being able to keep up.

Anyway, my plan should I ever need it again, is to set up the tarp end on two extendable tent poles, stake it down and have it go up just over the end cap seam about 1 foot higher than the trailer. The tarp will extend down to the ground behind the rear of the trailer, again not touching it, but sort of as a free-standing lean-to. It ought to shade the end cap sufficiently to allow the a/c to work efficiently. At least is sounds good on paper and the tarp was cheap.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 04:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The one I bid on is 20x30. If I end up with it I might try something like that. I thought about staking it at the rear where I have some grass, and tying up to a tree and such to keep it off the coach. I will see what happens when and if I get it.