Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Corrosion problem How does one buy knowing that could be what is in store for them.?

I ask this question with respect and need to understand, How does one buy a newer vintage AS when you know in advance about the corrosion problems with newer Airstreams? I am looking for an older vintage Tradewind at this point but fear getting more project then I want to handle. So I start thinking about the 2000's vintage AS but keep getting hung up on the corrosion problem from both a practical stand point and insult stand point. I Would very much value your opinion and experience which I know in some cases has come at a price. Many thanks and much luck Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
I do not believe the corrosion is a wide spread problem, If i were worried I would look for a 5 or 6 year old unit, if it has no corrosion it probably never will. My 08 had it in a few small areas but never got any larger than 3/4"
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Tony - anything you USE needs maintenance and care. A 2000 unit that has been stored under cover may be fine and may stay fine for 3-4 more years. It may last another 10 if you have a garage or shelter. A 2006 that has been baking in the sun, 2 miles from the ocean front (mine, I fulltime) already has filoform around the belly line, and the taillight surrounds need to be refinished. I've saved so much by fulltiming that I've built in the cost of that maintenance.

Anything you use on the road will get dinged eventually. My then new 2006 got a sideswipe scratch one month after I got it. I put a flag decal over it.

If you can view a used Airstream with a few beauty marks and a bit of filoform or clearcoat failure as "pre-dinged for carefree use" then you can be a happy camper. If you want a perfect piece of art... well that is going to take constant maintenance. I have a dear friend who must spend 15 hours per week maintaining his perfect lawn. He loves working on it more than he enjoys using it! I admire it, but I will NEVER enjoy doing the work. If I won a lottery, my lawn would beat his, but I'd HIRE the workers.

For you, it comes down to PRICE vs. CONDITION. The "right" answer is what makes for YOU most comfortable. Until you get that resolved in your own head, you won't have ANY Airstream for fear of choosing the wrong one.

So set a date to decide. Or even decide that you'll live without one. Just be at peace with the choice.

Best wishes, Paula

(PS: I'm never buying brand new again... well there is that "win the lottery thing" that could intervene. Then I'll probably have 2 or 3.)
Old 06-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I have friends with standard white box trailers and motorhomes about the same age as my '05. None of them have held up as well cosmetically as my Airstream.

The posts above are very good. It is impossible to keep them perfect. But you can keep them attractive at normal viewing distance

If you're buying something about the age of mine, I suspect you'll pay at least a third less than I paid for it new.Maybe half off . You get something with very little cosmetic degradation at a steep discount compared to new.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Wax It

Tony:
I believe that if I would have put a good coat of wax on my Airstream when I bought it, I would have arrested most of the corrosion. I didn't touch it except to wash it for the first 10 months to a year. It had started to have some corrosion. I honestly believe that it has now stopped since I wax the whole thing on a more regular basis. (About every 6-8 months). It makes it look better too.

Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
I ask this question with respect and need to understand, How does one buy a newer vintage AS when you know in advance about the corrosion problems with newer Airstreams? I am looking for an older vintage Tradewind at this point but fear getting more project then I want to handle. So I start thinking about the 2000's vintage AS but keep getting hung up on the corrosion problem from both a practical stand point and insult stand point. I Would very much value your opinion and experience which I know in some cases has come at a price. Many thanks and much luck Tony
TonyGood luck in your decision.
If you have some mechanical skills a vintage would be the way to go.
There are some nice older trailers out there and plenty of help to guide you through the process on the Forums.I am at the Restoration Rally in ABQ this weekend and there is lot's to learn at an event like this.
It's really not rocket science,but older trailers take time to restore and maintain like anything else,but you should see the rigs here!
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks for all your replies. Some good points. I do not require a show boat and look forward to finding the right one. I know there is one out there for me. Tony Rogue River Oregon
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote