Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2004, 06:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

convince the wife ???

I am the owner of a HUGE 5th wheel. My wife loves it, (tons of room...and a washer/dryer) but it is a bear to pull. I have admired the Airstreams for years and in the past year or so have enjoyed this site so much! I love the sense of community that you folks have and the friendships that seem to develope. There seems to always be a mini rally, caravan or a big rally somewhere. Not to mention all the smaller clubs scattered all over the place. We always camp alone. Our brand of trailer does not have clubs in our area. I am tired of it and lonesome. To the point...I can't convince my wife that we would enjoy this lifestyle. She says she does not like the Airstream trailers (yes...I have taken her to see them) and try as I might, I can't get her swayed. I KNOW we would love it if I could just get her off high center! Any suggestions please!
Carl1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 07:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

It sounds to me that if you trade in the fiver for an Airstream in the face of your wife's opposition you risk being even more lonely.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:09 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Carl, my wife goes nuts when she sees some of those pictures of the interiors of the fifth wheels in Trailer Life. As a matter of fact this month's current issue has one with 5 slides and weighs in about 15,000 pounds. Needless to say it is like a house inside. To make matters worse she reminds me that this 5th wheel costs less than our 30' Classic slide out. I shake my head up and down in acknowledgement and say yes but we have an Airstream. Because she loves me and a good marriage means compromise sometimes, I'm allowed to continue to have my "toy".

Interestingly enough my trade in for the Classic was a 27' '01 Safari. When I brought the Safari up to the dealership there was a couple with an almost new 5th wheel with slides waiting for me to get there. The dealer knew the condition of my Safari and these folks ended up buying it before I completed the process of removing the Reese dual-cam sway control off the trailer.

In their case the reasoning in trading was the fact that the 5th wheel was too big for them and the wife couldn't reach the top cabinets. In this case I think the woman of the house was the deciding factor. Bottom line the folks are happy with their decision and we received an email from the new owners several weeks after their purchase telling us how pleased they were in buying the Safari.

One alternative to you if the Airstream is out of the picture, is to consider joing the Good Sam club. There are many local chapters that you could hook up with and in many ways these folks seem to operate a lot like the local WBCCI units.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Carl, how about if you and your wife join a local Airstream rally with your 5er so that she could see what the PEOPLE are like! I'm sure that a unit wouldn't mind having you there for an event as an SOB (Some Other Brand).

Lynn
Old 10-29-2004, 09:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I second that last idea- bring your wife to an Airstream forums rally or an open WBCCI event and let her see what's going on.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1949
I am the owner of a HUGE 5th wheel. My wife loves it, (tons of room...and a washer/dryer) but it is a bear to pull. I have admired the Airstreams for years and in the past year or so have enjoyed this site so much! I love the sense of community that you folks have and the friendships that seem to develope. There seems to always be a mini rally, caravan or a big rally somewhere. Not to mention all the smaller clubs scattered all over the place. We always camp alone. Our brand of trailer does not have clubs in our area. I am tired of it and lonesome. To the point...I can't convince my wife that we would enjoy this lifestyle. She says she does not like the Airstream trailers (yes...I have taken her to see them) and try as I might, I can't get her swayed. I KNOW we would love it if I could just get her off high center! Any suggestions please!
Carl
I feel your pain I was there once. However, I was out trailer shopping with my wife and we had a chance to go into an Airstream. My wife took about thirty seconds and pronounced that "it is an Airstream or nothing". I was lucky, because my wife saw the construction quality and value of a Airstream at first glance.
I would say don't give up, tour some of the bigger units with pop outs.
Try and join a WBCCI rally and meet the people, it's quite amazing who you meet. Most people will see what it's all about in time. Tell you wife, that I for one would be happy to chew the fat about Airstreaming with her. We could trade stories about the ups and downs of trailer ownership.
Anything to help a fellow Airstreamer, even if only in Heart. That's what it's all about.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:56 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thanks to all that have given me some input on my "problem". The Good Sam Club is definitely an option. I just like the Airstream and the way Airstreamers think. I know you all understand. And yes, we must give and take in the relationship. I am definitely not going to just go out and do something on my own, but I am not giving up! I do want to try and get into some local Airstream rally and let her experience that. Thanks again for taking the time to respond! I appreciate it!
Old 10-29-2004, 01:10 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Check out a few new Airstreams or go to the factory if that is an option. Surely you will get a feel to see if its something you both can live with.

To us (Brandi and I), and this is not to project on others, but when we camp, we like having some basic amenities, because when we camp, we feel that we don't need to bring the exact contents of our house with us as we feel it defeats the purpose of "camping". Of course, by no means do I suggest that folks really rough it, or go the tent route, but to the two of us, it's always been about getting away from it all in some small way. The Airstream not only allows us to do just that, but also do it in style (with a few extras). I have nothing against the big 5th wheels...I think they are really neat, but as I see these HUGE monsters making it down the highway, I often find myself asking "is this really camping?" To some the answer is yes, to others, the answer is no. I suppose that is part of the question you'll have to ask yourself.

Now if you full time, then all bets are off, but if this is an RV to be a weekend warrior or a few weeks out of the year (2-3), then I think you'll be very happy with an upgrade to and Airstream. Less weight depending on size and features, better road manners, and basically the best darn campers and folks around. We've made lots of Airstreamin friends in the short 2 years we've been streamin' and I consider all of these folks good friends that I look forward to seeing and hearing from....one bi-product that I hadn't considered once we got into this whole thing.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:36 PM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Keep the 5th wheel and the wife - but ponder an addition. Have a second trailer - your dream A/S. It could be a cute little bambi or ccd or you could restore an old one. You could take it fishing!

Stock it with the best gear you can find, down comforters, high thread count sheets. stemware, really great groceries, your wife might learn to like it too.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 04:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Carl, you say that you have been visiting the Forum for a while and enjoying the conversations of this community. Have you and your wife ever sat down to pull up the day's posts and browse through it together? Maybe she would enjoy the support, humor, and good fellowship found here and be more drawn to the icon that bonds us all. Best wishes, and keep posting!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 04:15 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Lightbulb Buy an AS 5'ver?

Carl,
Airstream did make a fith wheel at one time, it is not the classic aluminum shape ( though that has been done too with somewhat dubious results) Problem is I think they only made them for a couple of years, but the one or two I have seen were very nice and high end. If you could locate one of those you could have the AS community and your wife would have the 5th wheel See how simple life can be?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 07:15 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1949
I am the owner of a HUGE 5th wheel. My wife loves it, (tons of room...and a washer/dryer) but it is a bear to pull. I KNOW we would love it if I could just get her off high center! Any suggestions please!
Buy an Airstream 5th wheel.
It is called an Integrity, and they show up from time to time for sale.
Terry
Old 10-29-2004, 07:42 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
second attempt

Okay, the picture I found of one didn't fly the first time, I will try again.
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	integrity front (Custom).jpg
Views:	182
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	9291   Click image for larger version

Name:	integrity interior 2 (Custom).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	9292  

Click image for larger version

Name:	integrity interior (Custom).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	9293  
Old 10-29-2004, 08:46 PM   #14
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Tell her fine you'll keep the heavy fifth wheel, but she has to tow it!

Tell her, the giant fifth wheel is just more to clean!

Tell her all the gas $$ you'll save towing an aerodynamic Airstream!

Better not tell all the money you'll loose on the fifth wheel trade-in, and would have saved on an Airstream resale
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:14 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Carl,

I read your posting and honestly, it's caused me to think about this a whole lot the past few days. We're a biased bunch. We all love our various airstreams--I know its hard for me to understand why anyone wouldn't appreciate these. But honestly, your wife has a right to prefer something else--and her feelings deserve understanding and respect. The fact is, what she prefers is what you already have.

You know, there are a wide range of RV options out there--is asking your wife to sacrifice something she loves worth what you think you will get from an airstream?

You mention two issues--you haven't found a community of fellow rv'ers and the 5th wheel is hard to pull. As Jack mentioned, you don't need to have an airstream to find community. There are a range of rv communities, running from Yahoo Groups that organize rallies to Sam's Club to specialized groups like Fulltimers. Join up somewhere and this can be resolved.

On the other hand, pulling may be more complicated. The difficulty appears that the very element your wife likes about your rv (space) leads to a negative consequence for you (towability). I don't know much about 5th wheelers--or the particlular elements that make towing this rig so tough for you. However, it strikes me that getting an airstream (5th wheeler or trailer) might not help this situation. Have you ever considered upgrading your truck?

What kind of dialogue do you have on this? Have you considered compromising on the trailer if she assumed primary responsibility for driving (perhaps in exchange for greater work doing other tasks, like cooking, organizing trips and packing)? Do you really understand why she is so dead-set against airstreams (who knows, maybe it has some negative association from her past)? Also, have you considered whether you really enjoy rv'ing?

Anyhow, I don't want to assume too much or tell you how to manage this. These are just a couple of random thoughts. You'll have to figure out how to really handle this on your own.

Over and out,

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 06:04 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Smile

Now I am going to try again...for the third time this morning! I don't know what is going on, but I guess I am rushing it and somehow erasing my message before I get to post it! Bummer! Thanks to all for the practical answers to my situation. I think the one to just let her do all the driving is a good one! I also thought that I could let her de-bug it, wash it and wax it! Ha! Now I don't want to be too hard on her. My wife is a darling and I love her dearly! She actually does help me drive on the interstates. The one suggestion of just buying another rv is interesting. I have thought about this already. Been looking at my rv barn and envisioning a "little sister" sitting next to the BIG BOY! That way we could both have our cake. I could have my Airstream (and the good company that come along with it) and she could have her "gormet" kitchen and the washer/dryer etc. I even enquired recently about a 1972 that was for sale. It had been COMPLETELY redone on the inside. New everything. Really nice job! I showed my wife the pictures and ask her how much she thought they were asking. She said $35K...they were asking $8,500.00! And just for the record, I love RVing. I have camped in every type of tent, pop up camper, small trailer and now this big one imaginable! RVing IS my hobby. For years I saw other people playing golf, tennis, flying model airplanes etc. I used to wonder why I didn't have a hobby. Then it dawned on me. RVing IS my hobby. I love trailers. Always have. But I especially love the Airstream. Now if I could just go out and get what I really want, it would be a 2005 Airstream 30' Classic. They are so beautiful! But if I could find a nice fixer upper I would enjoy that as well. I restored an old Nashua a long time ago and really enjoyed that experience. We also have a great tow vehicle. It is a one ton Ford Crew Cab with the Power Stroke engine. Now wouldn't that pull the heck out of an Airstream??? Yea it would! Well friends.........I am going to stop while I am ahead and get this posted before it disappears! Thanks for all the input. I am enjoying my discourse with you. Carl
Old 10-30-2004, 06:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi Carl,

I agree with Janet, buy a second trailer. But instead of buying a new AS, buy an older smaller vintage AS (16-18'), that may require some restoration. Say it is a "work project" that you can spend your weekends "tinkering with". It's also alot cheaper than new. You can ask for her input on decorating the inside. She'll probably like doing that stuff, and then she'll have some personal involvement (and pride) with in the project.

Once it is finished, use it for some short easy weekenders, say a fishing trip, shopping trip, AS rally, etc. She may warm up to it by then. Then you might be able to convince her to get rid of the 5th wheel and get a lorger AS for longer trips.

I've found with my wife, coming through the backdoor, is sometimes better that coming through the front.

Bob
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 07:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Cool

Carl,
My wife has never been happy with my Airstream because she had no input on it's purchase. I wanted to move from tent to trailer and found the Airstream on ebay. She doesn't like the 31' in the back drive taking up space so I have decided to look for something a little shorter at 25'. Next time though, she is coming with me to look at what I plan to buy so that she has input. If it is what I want then I will still buy but at least she has had a chance to say something.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 07:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Oh, you wily manipulators, you! However, we wives know how to use that back door too! It's interesting, all the different ways we conspire to achieve our dreams.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 07:44 AM   #20
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
get me a beer honey!

carl

i got lucky, my wife always wanted a airstream even before she met me!

she has completly taken over the interior decorating and outfitting with all the stuff you find in those fancy cataloges.

i still maintain to this day that towing an airstream is the only way to go cross country with a woman!

and luckly for me my better half agrees!

john