Old 10-30-2004, 03:14 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia

I read your posting and honestly, it's caused me to think about this a whole lot the past few days. We're a biased bunch. We all love our various airstreams--I know its hard for me to understand why anyone wouldn't appreciate these. But honestly, your wife has a right to prefer something else--and her feelings deserve understanding and respect. The fact is, what she prefers is what you already have.

You know, there are a wide range of RV options out there--is asking your wife to sacrifice something she loves worth what you think you will get from an airstream?

You mention two issues--you haven't found a community of fellow rv'ers and the 5th wheel is hard to pull. As Jack mentioned, you don't need to have an airstream to find community. There are a range of rv communities, running from Yahoo Groups that organize rallies to Sam's Club to specialized groups like Fulltimers. Join up somewhere and this can be resolved.

On the other hand, pulling may be more complicated. The difficulty appears that the very element your wife likes about your rv (space) leads to a negative consequence for you (towability). I don't know much about 5th wheelers--or the particlular elements that make towing this rig so tough for you. However, it strikes me that getting an airstream (5th wheeler or trailer) might not help this situation. Have you ever considered upgrading your truck?

What kind of dialogue do you have on this? Have you considered compromising on the trailer if she assumed primary responsibility for driving (perhaps in exchange for greater work doing other tasks, like cooking, organizing trips and packing)? Do you really understand why she is so dead-set against airstreams (who knows, maybe it has some negative association from her past)? Also, have you considered whether you really enjoy rv'ing?

Anyhow, I don't want to assume too much or tell you how to manage this. These are just a couple of random thoughts. You'll have to figure out how to really handle this on your own.

Over and out,

fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 06:04 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Now I am going to try again...for the third time this morning! I don't know what is going on, but I guess I am rushing it and somehow erasing my message before I get to post it! Bummer! Thanks to all for the practical answers to my situation. I think the one to just let her do all the driving is a good one! I also thought that I could let her de-bug it, wash it and wax it! Ha! Now I don't want to be too hard on her. My wife is a darling and I love her dearly! She actually does help me drive on the interstates. The one suggestion of just buying another rv is interesting. I have thought about this already. Been looking at my rv barn and envisioning a "little sister" sitting next to the BIG BOY! That way we could both have our cake. I could have my Airstream (and the good company that come along with it) and she could have her "gormet" kitchen and the washer/dryer etc. I even enquired recently about a 1972 that was for sale. It had been COMPLETELY redone on the inside. New everything. Really nice job! I showed my wife the pictures and ask her how much she thought they were asking. She said $35K...they were asking $8,500.00! And just for the record, I love RVing. I have camped in every type of tent, pop up camper, small trailer and now this big one imaginable! RVing IS my hobby. For years I saw other people playing golf, tennis, flying model airplanes etc. I used to wonder why I didn't have a hobby. Then it dawned on me. RVing IS my hobby. I love trailers. Always have. But I especially love the Airstream. Now if I could just go out and get what I really want, it would be a 2005 Airstream 30' Classic. They are so beautiful! But if I could find a nice fixer upper I would enjoy that as well. I restored an old Nashua a long time ago and really enjoyed that experience. We also have a great tow vehicle. It is a one ton Ford Crew Cab with the Power Stroke engine. Now wouldn't that pull the heck out of an Airstream??? Yea it would! Well friends.........I am going to stop while I am ahead and get this posted before it disappears! Thanks for all the input. I am enjoying my discourse with you. Carl

Carl1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 06:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi Carl,

I agree with Janet, buy a second trailer. But instead of buying a new AS, buy an older smaller vintage AS (16-18'), that may require some restoration. Say it is a "work project" that you can spend your weekends "tinkering with". It's also alot cheaper than new. You can ask for her input on decorating the inside. She'll probably like doing that stuff, and then she'll have some personal involvement (and pride) with in the project.

Once it is finished, use it for some short easy weekenders, say a fishing trip, shopping trip, AS rally, etc. She may warm up to it by then. Then you might be able to convince her to get rid of the 5th wheel and get a lorger AS for longer trips.

I've found with my wife, coming through the backdoor, is sometimes better that coming through the front.

rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 07:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee

My wife has never been happy with my Airstream because she had no input on it's purchase. I wanted to move from tent to trailer and found the Airstream on ebay. She doesn't like the 31' in the back drive taking up space so I have decided to look for something a little shorter at 25'. Next time though, she is coming with me to look at what I plan to buy so that she has input. If it is what I want then I will still buy but at least she has had a chance to say something.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 07:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Oh, you wily manipulators, you! However, we wives know how to use that back door too! It's interesting, all the different ways we conspire to achieve our dreams.
1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 07:44 AM   #20
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
get me a beer honey!

i got lucky, my wife always wanted a airstream even before she met me!

she has completly taken over the interior decorating and outfitting with all the stuff you find in those fancy cataloges.

i still maintain to this day that towing an airstream is the only way to go cross country with a woman!

and luckly for me my better half agrees!

you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 08:56 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb Keep in mind...

"If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

aka 'Mom'
Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 09:23 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
She might like one of these?

These are airstreams,too. Get her one of these, and park a nice 29' trailer next to it. A late 80's or early 90's would be the optimim. Fact is, that's what I did! She's happy and so am I!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-002f.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	9300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-003f.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	9301  

steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 11:13 PM   #23
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Originally Posted by john hd
i still maintain to this day that towing an airstream is the only way to go cross country with a woman!

I could think of a few better.

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote