Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Question Confused about joining clubs

What are all the numbers some members have mean and the riviet thing (I am trying to read all the information but there is so much)

WBCCI # - I understand this one but why would I want to join
AIR #
Free Wheeler #

I am new to the AS group and want to understand - I am not much of a joiner because of the rules thing and the recurring cost of membership. First you have to pay and then they start telling you what you can and cannot do. For me to join, the things I get from membership must at least equal the cost of membership. Otherwise it is not worth it. I do not mind rules but they must be rules for the betterment of the group - not just for a few of the cronic complainers.

Please help me and maybe others to understand. Thanks
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Welcome to the Forum. You get a rivet for the number of posts that you make on this FORUM. The Air Forums, IS this group, and we have informal campouts all over the US. I am sure there is a fall rally near you somewhere with in a few hours of driving. The Air Forums group is an internet group. No dues, membership fees, we just get together and camp. It's all about using your Airstream or near (kin) trailer in whatever condition it's in and meeting new people, and going places. Hope to see you here more often.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Welcome to the forums.

To answer your questions,

1. WBCCI number is membership number in the Wally Byam Caravan Club, International. WBCCI members display them as red numbers on their trailers. Since you have already made up your mind that you don't want to join the WBCCI, these don't concern you.

2. Your Air Forums number is 40365. This was assigned to you when you signed up for the forums. Some people stick these numbers on their trailers in blue.

3. I have no idea what a Free Wheelers number might be. There is (or was) an intra-club of the WBCCI consisting of single members called the Free Wheelers. I am thinking they recently disbanded, however. In any case they didn't issue their own numbers that I know of.

The rivets on Airstream Forums are awarded for making posts. Airstream Forums makes its money from advertising so it encourages you to post. So many posts = so many rivets. There is a thread on this topic in the same category as your post.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Most clubs that offer benefits to their members need to charge a fee to keep the thing going. Airforums has no staff or facilities and offers friendship among it members. If you want a BLUE Oval AIR sticker for your you will have to pay a fee. If you want to put your AIR number on your trailer you will have to buy them yourself. If you want the Big Red numbers from WBCCI they charge you $55 per year and you get the Blue Beret Magazine and you can attend any of the 1,500 events they hold per year at cost. You could also go on any number of caravans they hold per year at cost. They are half the price of an equivalent Good Sam run caravan. If you are not into that then do not join. TCT (Tin Can Tourists) is another old trailer club that holds events.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Confused

The same WBCCI membership number is used for the primary club membership as well as membership in Intra-Clubs such as:
  • Free Wheelers
  • Vintage Airstream Club (VAC)
  • Classic Airstream Club
  • Computer Club
  • Full-Timers
  • Amateur Radio Club
I am sure that I am missing one or more of the Intra-Clubs in the above list, but there are a number to interest just about any member. The Intra-Clubs also charge annual dues that vary by the club.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
All of those numbers belong to the member, not the trailer. If you decide to join the WBCCI and related groups, you have the option of requesting the number that's on your trailer now, if it is not currently in use. Your AIR number is assigned to you by the computer when you sign up, and is non-transferable, no matter how nicely you ask, or how many piles of cash you offer the computer gods.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:18 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Thank you to everyone - Now I know why the numbers on my TT are different on the front and back and some of the numbers have been changed. Still thinking about the WBCCI on weather or not it would be worthwhile for me to join. Stay pretty busy at work right now but might be nice later on in life.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Try before you buy

Get to know your local units of WBCCI by attending a rally and then make your mind up as to whether you will get your money's worth. You can always join later, if that is what you want. The activities of the local makes all the difference in the world as to what it is worth.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Question Numbers

I know the AIR numbers need to be posted in Blue but what size? If someone could give me a hint I would appreciate it. Also, what is the best way to remove the glue from teh old numbers?

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3