Old 10-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Adairsville , Georgia
Confessions

Confession - I allow my trailer to bully me. I've only pulled it a few times, husband usually does the pulling. Pulled it all the way home today, and I realize towing her scares me. Mainly on backroads that are curvy and hilly. She bullies me....

1 Happy Life
tin.can.twinkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Confession is good for the soul. 😀

Have you ever attended a safe RV driver training course? My wife and I did the first weekend we owned our trailer and truth be told, she did WAY better than I did.

Highly recommended.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Adairsville , Georgia
I havent. My husband is the safety director and trainer for his trucking company so he teaches me. But it still doesn't help my anxiety! Lol
1 Happy Life
Old 10-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
😀

That can be the worst! 😀

Practice makes perfect. You'll get it! Then you can show that trailer who's boss! Good luck!!
Old 10-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
More time behind the wheel will definitely help alleviate some of that angst.
We've all felt it.
Bruce
Old 10-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I'm sure it will improve with more experience!

One thing that may or may not be a factor is what you are towing with. Over the years I move progressively moved to larger heavier tow vehicles with longer wheelbases.

I will say that in the early days, I also felt a bit anxious and nervous thinking that the trailer was on the verge of controlling me rather than the reverse.

I don't feel that at all now with the present tow vehicle and Hensley hitch - in fact I have to remind myself not to get too comfortable as bad things could still happen. The towing experience is so relaxing I could be lulled into a false sense of security!

Of course it could also be that I never had our trailer / tow vehicle / hitch properly set up in the days when I used smaller vehicles - many people seem completely happy with smaller tow vehicles than the one I now use.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Adairsville , Georgia
I agree. We used to pull with an f150, then a dodge 3500. We have settled on our 2002 excursion. It's big enough to not be pushed around by the camper yet doesn't beat it up either like the Dodge did. It does pretty good!!
1 Happy Life
Old 10-25-2016, 07:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Back in 1971 I was a new college graduate in SE Nebraska with a new teaching position in Houston. I went down to the local U-Haul place and rented a 4x6 trailer and bumper hitch to go on my 1926 Mercury. I had never towed anything before, and this was far from the best arrangement to learn. I, however, didn't know that, so I loaded up and headed south. A year later I reversed the trip, but this time with a 5x8 trailer (stuff expands). In 2010 we bought our mpg (19' TT) as a learner. When I pulled it home I was more than a little nervous, as it was the largest thing I had ever pulled. In 2013 we sold the mpg and bought our Foretravel (40' MH). Again, it was the biggest thing I had ever driven, and I was a little nervous. In both cases, though, I took it easy and left plenty of stopping room. Yes, a deer could have jumped out, or someone coming toward me might have had a blowout or heart attack, but you can't always drive as if those things are going to happen. You get comfortable doing something by doing it.

We drove that mpg to JC, then through Indiana, Illinois, back to Missouri, down to Mississippi and Texas, then back to Missouri. By the time we took it to the dealer for consignment we were both comfortable towing it. Jo Ann doesn't want to drive the MH (another reason why we're selling it), but I'm quite comfortable with it.

We don't try to pound out the miles, though. Our next "destination" is about 750 miles away. That will be four days of driving for us.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:04 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
I have found giving your trailer a name helps ease the tension of towing the trailer. That way if you get mad or upset you can call out it's name or talk Nice to the trailer to help calm your self. It works for me. I drove 1290 miles one way by myself and back with my trailer.
Rachel
1962 Tradewind "Agnes"

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
Old 11-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Find a big open parking lot and practice long looping turns at very slow speeds. Drive around lampposts or barriers. Watch how your trailer reacts through your rear view mirrors (driver and passenger sides). Practice backing the trailer up in a straight line at very slow speed. Then practice putting the trailer's rear end in a specific spot. Get used to how your trailer moves with your tow vehicle. Again, all at very slow speeds. Then take it out on the roads with little traffic and drive slowly, watching as much as you can how your trailer tracks behind your tow vehicle on turns and straightaways. It's a little bit like getting used to riding a horse or a motorcycle. Good luck.