Old 08-03-2003, 02:44 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Computer Experts....IE 6.0 problem

My Internet Explorer acts like I am short on video memory, which I am not. Machine has 256 MB, but IE scrolls very choppy, and clicking on the scroll arrows it has a delayed reaction. If I close IE and use Opera, it works fine. Any ideas?

2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 02:58 PM   #2
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin

try downloading and running ad-aware off this site.

my brother turned me on to it. my 'puter works better after running it.

you will be suprized how much trash websites load into your system without your knowledge.

speeds things up fer sure once all the junk is gone.

john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 03:05 PM   #3
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Spy bot gets rid of stuff ad aware misses. It is free as a trial, but the developer asks for a donation if you like it. It also blocks incoming ad and click counters. Kinda like a firewall.

Get it here
Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 04:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Computer Experts....IE 6.0 problem

Greetings Pick!

Have you tried the following:

1.) Dumping all of the temporary Internet file utilizing the "Disk Cleanup" utility in the System Tools folder in the Accessories folder just off of the Start menu? This often helps to improve the tracking of IE - 6.

2.) Delete temporary files from the "Windows" folder on drive "C" found in the following sub-folders:

B.) C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files

3.) Runing Disk Repair followed by Disk Defragmenter - - again from the System Tools folder found in the Accessories folder. In my experience operating both of these from "Safe Mode" (press F5 while booting the system to get the safe mode option) will result in faster completion of the task as there will be less competition for memory resources. Depending upon how long it has been since these tools were last run and the size of your hard drive, it could take several hours - - I usually run Defrag as an overnight activity for the computer. While these will not directly impact IE - 6 it will insure optimization of your system.

4.) From IE - 6, go to the "Tools" drop-down and select Windows Update. Once on the Windows Update site check for updates for IE - 6. There might possibly be something that addresses the issue that you are experiencing beyond disk/system cleanup measures.

Good luck with your gremlin!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote