Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Santa Cruz , California
Question Compare and Contrast: Airstream and Earthbound

I'm preparing to buy my first RV. Have always been in love with Airstreams, but now have discovered Earthbound RV's and am attracted to the non-formaldehyde aspect. Any feedback from you guys about the pros and cons? Of course, I would not have the built-in community that Airstream has if I go Earthbound, but what else should I be looking at? Thanks, Mara
MaraLindstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I have looked at the Eartbounds on-line before, and they are really interesting.

I can't say that an Airstream is better than an Earthbound or vice-versa. I would suggest that you visit both dealers and get a hands-on feeling for each of the brands. Check both for fit and finish.

I n the end, it will be how you feel about each, and which one that yoy see youself in.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Get what YOU like It all depends on what floats your boat. Every trailer I have been in including some high end ones, just, FOR ME, do not compare to the Airstream. Looking on line is not the same as going in person and walking through each one. You need to see, feel, sit, thump some walls or move the drawers in and out. See what impresses you. The main thing I liked about the Earthbound was no wood flooring to rot. Also, compare holding tanks. Do you need the extra volume for camping that the Airstreams have? I do. JMHO
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A better comparison would be Earthbound to any other slab-sided travel trailer. Tricked-up decor and color scheme, looks like the same old stuff packaged as a new "green" product.

At a glance, I see the same old slab profile, smallish cheap RV windows, and less than innovative floor plans that emphasize bedroom and bath size at the expense of more useful living space.

If you have always loved Airstreams, like most of us, why get hooked with a gimmick like this, when the real deal is still available?
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, you have to pick what you want and like. Also what you can afford, or are willing to pay. There are lots of different trailers out there, but nothing else is like an Airstream [made today] so I chose an Airstream. Like any other RV, they are not perfect, and will have their own problems. Only you can decide what trailer is going to meet your needs and wants.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Go with Airstream

If you go with Airstream you get us! You'll see Airforums has a lot. I gave your question a little thought and even if you had the least green RV I doubt that you would be in it long enough to cause any health problems. Being in California, I know that the state has a new mandate about formaldehyde free black water systems. I think it's a good idea. I'll bet that is where most of the formaldehyde would go "airborne."
Good luck with your search.
This was taken last August in your back yard...New Brighton State Beach. (Just a stone's throw from Manuel's at Seacliff...Oh, for a Manny's #4 combo plate!)
Randy Bowman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0477.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	507.6 KB
ID:	109092  
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Buying an Airstream is as much about the traditions and community associated with the brand as it is the trailer itself.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I got interested in Airstream because of their classic look. I'm not into that ultra-futuristic look of the Earthbound.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Web searches list manufacture as Marion, IN. Looks like a startup - I get no sense that this is an established RV manufacturer. Without their brand taking off, how long will they be around? There look to be similar modern materials used for manufacture as, for instance, the R-Pod (very cute!) -- which I've seen at least a handful while on the road on a long trip to the Southwest in May-June this year.

Both R-Pod & Earthbound utter sounds people want to hear --
"State of the art techonology & materials"
"Earth friendly, family friendly, recyclable.."

Low VOC means that they comply with fewer solvent emissions for specified steps of their process (all VOCs? don't bet on it) -- this is a requirement that all your paint manufacturers face or else they, and therefore you, pay a higher price (tax) to emit more with any of our traditional oil/volatile based paints or varnishes.

Composites/Aluminum used for Earthbound? Recyclable? Airstream isn't much different at that.

Walk through a new RV of any make. Better yet, do it on a warm sunny day while it is closed up. Do you get that new car smell? (Yep!) Formaldehyde or other volatiles are nearly inevitable IMO. Nobody says they are good for you. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...mes-30096.html or http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...rvs-43409.html. Interior fumes take a while to diminish -- aided by time and a bit of venting.

Airstreams have 100% less plastic used in side paneling. Other than platitudes, I don't know that Earthbound uses zero emissions floor or cabinetry materials (if such a thing is even available). Airstream will be around. Airstream has cachet. That's a hard combination to beat IMO.

I'm the last person to get onboard the bamboo flooring juggernaut. Bamboo sounds organic, right? It's still bamboo pressed in a resin body. Be very aware what you are getting into.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
In my opinion Airstream is the ultimate green rv.
They last a lifetime.....

Lifespan 50-60 years or more, can't beat that.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #11

Currently Looking...
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks for you replies, thoughts, time

You all have been most generous and informative. Quite a community here, huh? I'll go now and explore as many as I can in person for the the next step and see how they feel, smell, etc.

Again, thanks. You have warmed my heart with your response,

Mara
MaraLindstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Our family has the Airstream my in-laws used to full time in. They put a lot of miles and a lot of use on it and everything still works and is sound. I take great comfort in the knowledge that even if our trailer was 60 years old instead of 13, we could still get parts. For a brand new design from a new company, I wouldn't have that particular warm fuzzy no matter how nice or well made the TT was.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #13

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
I would agree with most of the stated opinions here - buy what YOU like and feel good owning and living in! I would suggest that you try renting a couple and seeing which you like best. I believe that Airstream and KOA have rentals out there.....
I thought when I purchased my used 34' Airstream that it would be the one for me for many years until I actually started using it and found that my family really was better suited for a motorhome - so I looked and looked for an Airstream motorhome that was like TT but allowed for comfort and use on the road! So, go slow before handing out the cash and finding it doesn't really fit your needs/wants!
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I've actually been in an Earthbound. The fit and finish was impressive, on par if not better than Airstream.

If I remember right, the windows are the same fully-opening units that were on my T@B - these function better than the typical RV small-opening window. I wish Airstream would also use a composite rot-free floor material.

Earthbound is a start-up created by RV industry veterans. My understanding is that there were some initial funding issues - it was a bad time to start a RV company - but that had improved. I actually had an email conversation with one of the founders after sending in some suggestions on their website; I thought that was kinda cool.

I don't like the lack of front windows and their floorplans don't quite match the usefulness of some Airstream front-bedroom plans.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
i am one of the biggest eco friendly, green, recycle / reuse advocates you'll find - but there is a lot to consider when you're deciding if a product is truly 'green'.

one of the biggest decisions you can make when trying to be 'green' is the overall lifespan of the product. making a few small 'green' changes, like low VOC paint, bamboo flooring, etc means very little when you have to toss the whole shebang in 15 years.

my airstream will be 50 next year. as it has been rebuilt ground up, with around 120 sq ft, it will (hopefully) last another 50. nearly all components are recyclable, biodegradable, or at very least, reusable - with exception of fiberglass insulation / endcaps (which i kept / am reusing).

buy the smallest rv that will adequately fit your needs and buy an RV that will last a lifetime. thats the biggest 'green' decision you can make.

edit: if you have the budget for a new RV, why not consider REUSING an older airstream designed to your specs by one of the awesome restoration / reno outfits on the forums? then you can specify low VOC paint, soy or cotton insulation, lino or bamboo flooring, responsibly managed woods, etc. and really go truly eco-friendly at the same price range?
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The majority of trailer aerodynamic drag is the sides. The key component to trailer aero is rounded edges. Crosswinds WILL pile up against the sharp-edged sides of the Earthbound (yes, it will be "earthbound" as the "airstream" continues on in a heavy crosswind . . an unfortunate name choice: tired, dusty and plodding versus soaring, shimmering and slightly magical).

On this trailer the front slope is overdone, the rear looks adequate, and the sides are as bad as any SOB WPB out there. If the trailer were "reversed" the aero would actually be better.

It's good to see torsion axles are standard, but, on 14" tires/wheels?

No disc brake option?

The interior pictures look nice however. I believe "the test" is to sit awhile to see whether one feels connected to the outdoors (window placement, size, etc. Probably a good idea to compare living sq/ft with window sq/ft as a ratio).

Airstreams have been too heavy for too many years. It's time to bring that problem into focus or someone else will do it for them. My 1983 34' Silver Streak weighed a bit less than the current 28' A/S. I can't see where the latter offers more than the former in appeal, durability, etc, as to weight.

I don't see anything particularly green from the aspect of aluminum trailers. I'd still much rather rehab an older trailer (even if the money were the same) where "green" is longest service life. "Green", I suppose, means this ain't a Katrina FEMA trailer.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Tehachapi , California
Hello Fellow Trailerites!
I was hoping my first post wouldn’t be a rambling “complaint”, but after reading the above posts, some with mis-information, I feel I have to defend my decision to buy an Earthbound Dillon (26’) over an Airstream Flying Cloud 25FB (25’ 11”). My wife and I checked out lots of trailers and we eliminated all but the Airstream and Earthbound. The Airstream is cool looking and has a certain cachet, but that wasn’t reason enough to buy one. I’ve been lurking on the Forums for about a year and have learned a lot. Except for construction methods, which are unique to Airstream, the posts about hitches and tow vehicles and appliances and etc. pertain to SOBs, too.

I first heard about Earthbound from Silvertwinkie’s “Corrosion” posts. After reading every post for every year listed, I was concerned. Not only about the ugly corrosion, but also about Airstream’s give-a-darn attitude. If I’m paying that much for a trailer, it better be the “best”. The best construction, using the best materials, with a manufacturer who listens to their customers and fixes things pronto, is not against using better materials than what were used in the past, and who stands behind their product for longer than 12 months. Earthbound has a 3-year hitch to bumper warranty.

Wally Byam died too soon. I truly believe he would have embraced using composites and fiberglass and other synthetic materials, if they were proven to work better. To all the folks who talk about Airstream’s “airplane-like” monocoque construction—when was the last time an aluminum airplane was built using wood as a major structural component? 1930? Mr. Byam would have been the first to use a composite floor; I’m sure of it. What was his saying, “Let's not make any changes — let's make only improvements!” He seemed to be always on the lookout for new materials, new gadgets, etc. I believe he would have moved away from plywood in a heartbeat. As for the corrosion, he would have found a solution, somehow, someway. Thor seems to be stuck in the past (non-waterproof plywood floor) and they sure seem like they don’t care to hear about corrosion and leaks.

The Earthbound uses no wood, so there is nothing to swell or warp or rot. There are fewer seams to leak. There are no rivets to pop. Speaking of rivets, the Airstreams we looked at appeared to have had a plastic film on the inside panels before they were riveted (probably to protect them from scratches during assembly). After they were riveted, the plastic film was peeled away leaving cheesy little pieces of “Saran Wrap” sticking out from around each rivet head. There’s got to be a better way to do this! Both have similar appliances, so no advantage there. Both have rubber torsion axles. Both use 15” wheels/tires. The Earthbound uses a manifold system for its plumbing. There is a continuous pipe from the manifold to each sink, the inside/outside showers, and the potty. If one pipe or fixture develops a leak, that one pipe can be turned off at the manifold, not affecting the other fixtures. There are fewer joints in the plumbing to help eliminate leaks.

Earthbound’s interior cabinetry is unique. It’s made with composite “boards”, faced with aluminum, and covered in a tough “woodgrain” polymer sheet. Since Earthbound uses an outside manufacturer for the cabinetry, all cutting is done off the premises. Earthbound assembles the cabinets onsite. There should be no “sawdust” of any kind lurking in hidden places because the only cutting done is the plumbing holes in the floor. Yes, it may be more difficult to remove the insides of the trailer if it ever needs to be refurbished, but I’ll take my chances. After all, with no wood to worry about, if a roof vent is accidentally left open and rain floods in, or a frozen pipe bursts, I’ll just wipe it up, replace the converter and whatever other electronic device is low to the floor, and move on. Try that with wooden cabinetry and floors!

Airstream appears to be more aerodynamic, but Earthbound is no slouch, either. We’ll see how it tows when we pick up our Dillon this weekend.

Airstream may be easier to fix if it gets dented because each panel can be replaced, but Earthbound uses a painted exterior, so a little metal work, a little bondo, a little paint, and we’re good to go! And since the roof is a gel coated composite that is tough enough to walk on, we don’t have to worry about hail damage—not that we get large hail in California.

I think Airstream should have integrated the propane tanks and batteries into the front of their trailers years ago. I think the Earthbound looks way cleaner.

Check out the Earthbound website and especially download their “Construction Booklet”, under the “A New Kind of RV” tab. Their assembly methods sure look more modern and clean than Airstream’s. Check out the plumbing and gas lines. Check out the windows. The big windows in the Airstream may look nicer, but I’ll bet the Earthbound’s work better. And lots of windows are a handicap in cold weather.

Is Earthbound perfect? Nope. Is Airstream perfect? Nope. But Earthbound works better for us.

Thanks for reading my missive. All replies are warmly welcomed!

Regards,
Kirk
KirkBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Kirk, thanks for posting that. I've looked at the Dillon's specs and was impressed - IIRC it weighs quite a bit less than a 25' Airstream. Given that Wally played around with fiberglass trailers, I agree that he might have been prone towards trying new materials and construction methods as they became available. I've been told by a dealer of both AS and Earthbound that the trailers don't tow quite as well as Airstreams, but they handled better than most.

Ironically, the cabinetry in our Argosy Minuet is a similar construction - aluminium sheet covered with vinyl. I'm astonished by how well that has held up over 33 years, and it seems more cleanable than alternatives.

I'd be interested in hearing how the trailer treats you down the road. All the best.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #19
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Personal choice and budget. We looked around for almost a year then decided to buy a vintage A/S off craigslist. We even thought about checking out the earth bound but the nearest dealer was a 4 hour drive round trip.

One thing someone pointed out to me - they are a start up and may not be there in five years.

The one thing Airstreams having going for them are the forums here ... there is a priceless amount of knowledge and someone ALWAYS willing to help you with a question....

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
My two cents,

We have a 1968 and love it. the two year remodel is almost done. But to tell the truth I wouldn't buy a new one. It's just not worth the money. It has been posted all ready but the fixtures electric and plumbing are no better than a SOB. I put house grade stuff if my remodel. So what are you paying $20,000 more for. My friends 2005 will not last as well as my 42 year old trailer, it just isn't built as well.

$20,000 more forThe name and the style? To me it's just not worth it. But then I am not retired and have new twin girls so in about two years I will have to opt for another trailer with 4 bunks for our 4 kids. The AS will just be two small. It's only 7 ft wide so there just isn't the room.

I wont' be getting rid of the AS though. I will remodel once again so it will be comfortable for just the wife and myself.

But this is just my thoughts and if you really like something and $ isn't a big deal the new AS are really nice.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote