Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I'm not sure of this; Maybe Airstream Inc. or a dealer could explain it. Seems that the Canadian versions have more clearance lights and/or reflectors than the USA models. I don't know what else could or would be different.
My 07 Basecamp and 06 International required no modifications to pass RIV inspection... All the accessories in both had CSA and UL ratings... Maybe on some older models there is a difference...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Yes, would appreciate clarification.

Maybe it's more of an issue with SOBs vs. Airstream, but was under the impression our manufacturing standards were higher.

My 2010 has the CRVA sticker.

Here's link to CRVA website which details some of the specs.....
About the Canadian Recreational Vehicle Association and CRVA Membership
Old 10-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
There are some slight differences in code requirements between US and Canada - I know that one example is added protection for the external propane lines for Canadian units.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
There are some slight differences in code requirements between US and Canada - I know that one example is added protection for the external propane lines for Canadian units.

Tom
Tom, thanks for that. I knew there was a difference, especially when it comes to the use of urea formaldahyde in upholstery and insulation; prohibited in Canada!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #85
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I'm wondering if you guys that are so enamored with Earthbounds have actually been in one (or a dozen) In Real Life, or just fell for the website marketing? IRL, it's not uncommon for those shiny cabinets to be mounted crooked. They're like 3/8 plywood and mounted with tiny screws you'd find in a chinese watch. Take it down a bumpy road and they're all broke off on the floor. This Earthbound's MSRP was $80,000.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0279.png
Views:	204
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	141500  
Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #86
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Best to avoid the bumpy roads, then...
Old 10-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Best to avoid the bumpy roads, then...
Hi, tell that to someone going to Alaska through the Yukon Territory!
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:26 AM   #88
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
I'm wondering if you guys that are so enamored with Earthbounds have actually been in one...
I've only been in one and I was not impressed. Okay, it had some cool features. Yes, I still like the idea of a floor that is not made of plywood. However, as I said in post 44 there are plenty of things that I did not like about it. Is Airstream or any other brand better/worse? I guess that's in the eye of the beholder.

If I needed a trailer and an Earthbound was available at a resonable price I would give it consideration.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #89
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I looked at the Earthbound before deciding on an Airstream. First, I don't believe what any manufacture says about build quality and durability, etc., etc. The proof is after these units are on the road in all kinds of conditions for many years. What happens to them, where do they fail, etc. What happens if EB goes bust? In the end, I chose Airstream for basically the simplest of reasoning. It is simply the coolest looking trailer on the market. The old ones look cool and the new ones look cool. The EB is one of the ugliest TTs on the market. I just couldnt see myself towing that gaudy looking thing, period. Just an opinion, but that is mine. I have had my AS now for about a year. In that short time I can say that everywhere I go, I get compliments on my cool trailer. I never had even one compliment on my SOB trailer that I towed for 5 years before. Airstreams are just plain cool.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I looked at the Earthbound beside the Airstream at Sutton RV... they carry both... The EB was in bad shape... it was their demo and a lot of the interior bits an pieces were loose and broken. The materials looked very spiffy, and the seating surfaces were really nice... but in the demo all most all the seat cushions had pulled off... probably people wondering if there was a hid-a-bed or storage (there wasn't on that model).

But, Airstreams aren't perfect either. You'll find rivets off the mark, ones that pop for no reason... leaks just like any other trailer. Almost all the appliances, plumbing, wiring, etc are industry-wide parts... not AS specific. What you are hopefully getting in the AS is some precision hand-workmanship in the assembly of the exterior panels and structure.

I just got a new set of curtains for my 06 international... they didn't fit... discovered that the upper curtain rail was mounted upside-down, adding an extra inch to the height. It worked out that I was able to take it off and turn it around, but there are some scuffs from the old brackets. It's minor, but I've seen a lot of poor work in AS, and I've only had 2 of them.

In my Basecamp, the back doors were an inch out of alignment... took it to Sutton for repair, and they had to grind right into the exterior panels to make room for them to properly align. One of the front window sliders was mounted in the wrong spot, so when the window closed, the rod stuck straight out into the cabin space. (I fixed that myself). The rear latches for the drop down door were installed in the wrong location, so they only 1/2 caught and the back door dropped open if you hit a bump. Although they were supposed close like a house door, there was no way to adjust the striker to have it work that way - I had to use the handle to close it every time... If you understood the way the rear works on the Basecamp, you'd know that is a big problem.

I think a lot of these issues are universal to travel trailers and RV's. They are slapped together quickly, because it's just getting too expensive for labour to have people spend a lot of time hand-crafting perfection. Airstream is already pushing the limits of what people want to spend on a new RV... maybe they need to go even more upscale, charge a lot more, and make less trailers... that was never the intent of Wally... but I wonder how long AS can exist making 'average' trailers out of premium materials?
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #91
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I love the front window in that Earthbound Montreal. Not sure how water tight it is or what it would cost to replace and it doesn't have any kind of rock guard on it (where would you even get one if broke on the road?). The Keystone Premier to the left was 1/3rd the price and a lot nicer other than not having that front window. It has about the same aerodynamic profile. If you look off directly ahead there are about 20 beautiful Airstreams (all fresh stock. The 2012's have HDMI cables finally!). The EB was in the premium display location, but it has sit there while they've sold A LOT of Airstreams.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0275.png
Views:	180
Size:	479.4 KB
ID:	141586  
Old 10-04-2011, 04:55 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Before buying our Classic 31, we looked at Earthbound- too modern looking for our taste- also looked at the Evergreen for the same reason that we looked at the Earthbound, hoping to find low maintenance and lack of future issues with water damage/mold due to the composite construction. We were impressed with the piece of counter top they had sitting in a glass of water that looked perfectly new with no water damage at all- and they have the more "home-y" look with wood cabinets, etc. We had pretty much narrowed it down to their 5th wheel when we went to the Tampa SuperRV show(none of their tags had the layout we were looking for). MDH said to not even bother going inside until you look underneath as they will show you all the bells and whistles inside but the quality is in what you DON'T see - what a shock for many that are out there- some SOBs look like they lined it with cardboard (evergreen looked better than some in this respect). You all know what the underbelly of an airstream looks like- we came to our senses and bought our Airstream here on the forum classifieds. We decided that we really didn't want to pull the empire state building down the road every time we set out and the Airstream quality sold us. It is really tough to find a smaller quality unit out there- it seems that the manufacturers think that they should reserve that for 40'plus. We are pleased with our final choice. For those looking for an alternative, the Evergreen is worth a look.
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I've got to say, the more I read this thread and the Vantage thread, the more I REALLY REALLY wish that Bigfoot (now back in business) had nationwide dealer coverage. Few other brands garner near-uniform praise for construction and longevity, but it's a long way to British Columbia from Connecticut.

We're in the market for a bigger and newer trailer than the Argosy. I love the AS community, how well the trailers tow, and the styling - but I'm wondering how I'd feel if I spent $30k or more and wound up with a rotting floor or filaform...

Tom
Old 10-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
I live in the province where Bigfoot is manufactured, and never thought twice about them. Have never seen a Bigfoot trailer; only the truck campers.

My dealer is also pedalling the "Evergreen Element" trailer. Looks the same as Earthbound. The window looks the same as
the one in newroswell's post. http://blog.goevergreenrv.com/

If this composite material lives up to everyone's expectations - well, good. But I still think they are ugly suckers. Being a very visual person, the classic Airstream look was important to me.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #95
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
I've got to say, the more I read this thread and the Vantage thread, the more I REALLY REALLY wish that Bigfoot (now back in business) had nationwide dealer coverage. Few other brands garner near-uniform praise for construction and longevity, but it's a long way to British Columbia from Connecticut.

We're in the market for a bigger and newer trailer than the Argosy. I love the AS community, how well the trailers tow, and the styling - but I'm wondering how I'd feel if I spent $30k or more and wound up with a rotting floor or filaform...

Tom
ARCTIC FOX (NASH) is the one I "think" being referred to in re TT's.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
ARCTIC FOX (NASH) is the one I "think" being referred to in re TT's.
Yep, they're the other well-regarded brand. But their typical-RV styling doesn't work for me. At least Bigfoots look somewhat "different."

Too bad the nearest US dealer is Illinois and the trailers appear to be built-to-order only. Not that I should single out Bigfoot - I'm actually pretty surprised at how regional RV distribution can be. Tried to find an Evergreen Element dealer - that's 6 hours away. There's no Chalet trailer dealer nearby either...

Tom
Old 10-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #97
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
They're both SWB's in appearance, one marginally "nicer" than the other.

I expect to travel the "average" 1,200-miles for my next trailer. I'd imagine that warranty issues on a brand-new one are spelled out for problems of distance. In other words, if I really wanted one . . . .
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #98
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
$84,900 starting price for 2012 models?

Marion's Earthbound Recreational Vehicles retools strategy - Indiana Economic Digest - Indiana
Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #99
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell
It sounds like the beginning of the end. Too bad, because I liked their concept. But now, projected sales of 100 units in China, India, and other emerging countries, is just crazy. Taking city money with the promise of employment is always dangerous, like borrowing money from a bank with restrictive loan covenants. Thor could have used the competition.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #100
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It sounds like the typical problems of any start up. If people didn't take risks there would never be any new businesses. Small cities and counties don't have the resources to investigate start ups and sometimes make mistakes. The writer of the article didn't get the company financial records to see if they have the resources to survive and wrote a negative article, but there may be more to it. According to the article the business leaders are constantly reviewing their business plan, as they should, to take advantage of any opportunities.

Remember, Apple struggled for years until Steve Jobs came back in the late '90's, and eventually became a powerhouse, but in the mid-90's people were predicting Apple would fail.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote