Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #21
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Just a reminder that there is tons of previous discussion about all of this on the threads linked in Post #3:
Hi Peter,

The problem with resurrecting old threads with a new post is that people complain about that too.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:44 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Oak Ridge , Tennessee
https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-6-Cu.../dp/B000CNY6UK

This is what I have.
billhenry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Let 'em complain! At least there is some continuity of information and dialogue when an old thread gets some new life in it.

Not to mention, how outdated can a thread on making coffee get?

In other forums with more active moderating, posters would be asked to be more diligent about matters like this IMO.

The bottom line to these eyes is that people are lazy -- IMO -- and seldom search for answers, or earlier threads, before they post. As I said:

"When in doubt, talk!"

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...Qwg8INQ&adurl=

This collapsible coffee drip filter holder is great.

1-use the percolator you already have, empty, to heat the water.
2-get a large stanley stainless thermos. They have no glass to break, and are virtually indestructible.
3-use a standard paper cone filter to line the coffee drip basket.
4-heat water, pour over and drip right into the thermos.
5-as you will soon learn, another issue with boon docking is no way to KEEP coffee hot or to REHEAT it. The thermos solves this.

The only clean up is to rinse off the holder and rinse out the thermos.

Tip. Measure the water before adding so you don't over-fill. A nalgene bottle works great for this. Heat the correct amount of water. For added safety I usually stand up the thermos in the sink when pouring the water, in case I spill any hot water.

Another tip. This set up lets you make coffee for later and keep hot in the thermos. Good if you need to leave really early in the morning. Sometimes I make it right before bed.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
No cleanup? Keurig.
No waste and one cup? French press.
I use a little more water than I need so I can squish the water around and dump the grounds.
Large volume? Coffee maker.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:21 PM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The most relevant coffee pot thread has been "dead" for about 2 weeks at this point. Popping into it is a bit different than coming up with one from 1972

The bigger issue is that searching for threads / thread organization isn't quite as good as it might be. We also dive off into odd places down in the bowels of various threads .... like ... ummm .... right now

If you think the "talk don't look" thing is fun here .... checkout a Facebook support group .... yikes !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:28 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The old search function was not great, that is true.

The NEW search function with the blue border above works great, however, and you can fine tune the search parameters after the Google-powered search results come up.

I have suggested this so many times I am blue in the face!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #28
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Julie View Post
We use a percolator for coffee and really like it with the exception of clean up. Lots of pieces to clean and when boon docking takes additional water to clean to get all the grounds out of basket, etc.

We want something that can be used boon docking without power and that can make at least 6-8 cups.

What else is everyone using?

Thanks!
I've edited your query done to what my best half picked up as main requirements.

We've amassed a fairly diverse collection of perc's 5, drip-o-lators 3 and another 2 that really doesn't have a common name but no press systems.

But the simplest, minimal cleanup, stove top, open campfire is Cowboy Coffee.

The pot has one part, the lid.

Boil water in it, reduce heat to very slow roll, add coffee, stir, rolling slow boil for 5-6 minutes, remove from heat and allow it to sit a few minutes.

Minimal rinse out and wipe down.

And those that haven't tried or experimented with Cowboy Coffee, hold your reports. That would be like me putting down a french press when I've never tried it. My 11 qt MirroWare Cowboy pot has quite the reputation from folks at Alumalina.

We use our favorite perc pot, a Pyrex Flameware 9 cup every weekend over a Coleman.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:11 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
If people complain about the grounds in your cowboy coffee just use an old cotton sock like a large tea bag and throw away when done. Better flavor if it is a clean one.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:43 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We use a french press when there's water for cleaning, in water is at premium we use THIS.

Easy cleanup like a Melita, but it lets the coffee steep.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflag View Post
This is what I use on the road. Heat water in teapot, pour it through and that's it.
Throw out cone filter and grounds, rinse pot with a little water.
E
https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Cone-...ur%2Bover&th=1
This is what I use when without power but I pour it into a thermos that fits the Melitta cone. Stays hot all morning! Use the same setup when I'm hunting and it works great. When we are hooked up we have a Keurig unit. It stores well in our closet and the cup of coffee is always fresh. I haven't found a French press that keeps coffee hot.
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #32
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Assuming you are grinding your own beans, if the Melita is running to fast, go to a finer grind. If you are not (yet) grinding beans, that will make a bigger difference than a whole bunch of things. You can either go with an electric grinder or a hand cranked one. I have not yet found a good one that runs straight off of 12V.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:07 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Franklin , Wisconsin
We are new owners. We took delivery just last week. The very first things I brought into our new trailer were our Aero Press, our small drip coffee maker and our mugs. I have a percolator ready to roll if needed. The AeroPress is newer for us and so far it is easy and tasty! And it is lightweight, non-breakable and made in America!
S.Duckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:52 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
We've started using our aeropress in the trailer for the last few trips. I don't think I'll go back to a press anytime soon. So much easier to clean up and a better cup! I essentially use it as a pour over. I only plunge the last little bit.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:54 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
According to the Aeropress experts 185 F is the perfect water temp for brewing good coffee. Any hotter and you risk having high acids being released.

The experts seem to recommend a bit hotter temps: 185-205. My local coffee guru shop in Seattle says above 200 but not by much, and don't let the grinds soak too long.

http://www.ncausa.org/About-Coffee/How-to-Brew-Coffee
Old 07-30-2017, 10:44 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
SoCal , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Exactly.

The worst part of this new Internet-by-phone age, is that very few folks ever read the beginning of thread, let alone several pages of a long thread.

They mostly look over on the right for recent discussions, then hit Reply, and start TALKING!

"When in doubt, TALK!"

Sorry. I did try searching. Unless I am doing something wrong, the search feature is somewhat lacking....

I searched for "Coffee" Results:

"20-Footers" w/1900 replies.
"Rescue lost storage space" w/34 replies.
"Hello please tell me where to go" w/294 replies.
"The 23-FB forum" w/306 replies.

How does a newbie find the threads you posted that have this information using the search function?

What is the harm in having multiple discussions at different times with multiple perspectives? My conversation is specifically related to boondocking and the conservation of water required to clean the pot or other method to make the coffee. I see value in all of the discussions.

At least this thread shows up in the top three when searching for Coffee, although I am not sure how the results are ranked and if current threads are posted higher.
Joe_Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:50 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Julie View Post
What is the harm in having multiple discussions at different times with multiple perspectives? My conversation is specifically related to boondocking and the conservation of water required to clean the pot or other method to make the coffee. I see value in all of the discussions.
There are more threads with people complaining about how many threads there are than the subject at hand.
I guess unless someone asks about 1. Tires, 2. Tow vehicles or 3. Hitches the subject is not deemed worthy.

Personally I like them all, and if I don't I won't read it.
Carry on.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:09 AM   #38
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
The Search function was broken for so long, I don't even use it. Consider using google.com for searching and then in the search string, type:
coffee site:airforums.com

If you add extraneous words, like "best" and/or "options" and/or "favorite" you're going to get lots of unrelated results that also contain the words best options favorite unless you use a more complex boolean search string.
https://support.google.com/websearch.../2466433?hl=en

We use a Melitta 6-cup Pour-Over (plastic, not ceramic) when we're out and about in our trailer. In our humble opinion, it's the single easiest to clean, while still making a ridiculously good cup of coffee (and we're coffee snobs), at what might the lowest price point. I believe if you try it, you won't look any further. You need Melitta pour-over filters. Good luck...
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:58 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
We have three Keurig brewers. One at home, one in the Airstream and one at our cabin. We have never had to replace any of them in 4 years of use. I like getting up early and brewing a fresh cup to enjoy while my wife sleeps in. We like Tully's French Roast or Kirkland Pacific Bold, both purchased at Costco. If you want intense flavor brew the small cup size. I also like Tully's Decaf French Roast when I've had enough caffeine. We have big groups (up to 12) at our cabin and everyone gets a fresh brewed cup when they get up. At night I like Twinings Nightly Calm before bed. It is a very versatile unit for coffee! We had 15 for dinner at the cabin last week and with desert some had decaf, some high test and some tea. Rick
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:10 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Years ago I bought a Nissan Stainless French Press that is a combo insulated thermos and French press. The top is not screw on, spill-proof, but it keeps the coffee hot a long, long time. This is the item: https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-NCI10..._title_kitchen

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote