Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2003, 01:27 PM   #1
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Closest we have ever been

Continuing on my thread of a couple of weeks ago "Getting Closer", we went to the Toronto RV show this weekend and crawled all over the 22 CCD, 25C, and 28 S/O. I think I want to take a bit from each and make my own. Will be off to the London show this weekend for a final confirmation. Here is what I think we are going to get:

2003 25C
- spare tire & bracket
- Fantastic Fan (one to start)
- replace carpeting with hard surface (Prego or equivalent)
- replace folding table with credenza for TV
- bike rack on the rear

Still undecided about:
- Black Tank flush system
- Electric Hitch Jack
- hitch (either Hensley Arrow or Reese Dual Cam)

Just need to check out how comfortable the beds (dinette & front couch) are for the boys and away we go!!

Wish me luck

Malcolm
kamadeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 01:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Malcolm,

IMHO, the black water tank flush and the electric hitch jack are 2 items that make Airstreaming that much more enjoyable.

I've been fulltiming for just over a yr now and my black water tank remains clean because of the black water flush.

As far as the electric hitch jack, man it really simplifies hooking and unhooking!

Good luck-John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:08 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Electric jack

As far as I am concerned, the electric jack is a must have. I replaced the manual jack on my prior SOB trailer with an electric jack for that reason. Nothing worse than standing in the rain and cranking for what seems like forever.

Black tank flush is needed depending on how you use the trailer. If you sit at the same spot for a long time, it is really good to have it to prevent building a brown hill. If you move the trailer a lot, then you can put a couple of gallons in the black tank every time you move and everything will be liquid when you arrive.

I would go with the Reese Dual-Cam on that size trailer unless you are stretching the capability of the tow vehicle.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

On my wish list, the black tank flush and electric jack would come in ahead of a host of other items, including the spare tire. I have the electric jack, and cannot imagine life without it. I wish I had the black tank flush.

I will be installing a Fantastic fan in my 25' Soverign as soon as weather permits. I cannot help but think that it will move all the air I want. I could be wrong, of course.

Is it possible to put a bike rack on the back of the new Airstreams? How is this done? Surely it has to tie into the frame some way?

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:24 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Spare tire

Depends a lot on where you use the trailer. In west Texas. you may be several hundred miles from the nearest tire repair shop and a lot more than that from a replacement tire. That's an awfully long way to go at reduced speed. In that country, don't expect things to be open evenings, Saturday afternon, or Sunday.

For that reason, I recently installed a spare carrier and tire on my International. I can leave the spare at home when I know I will be staying local.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 03:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Thumbs up Electric Jack

Worth every penny. You know how hot and humid it gets around here. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:42 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Closest we have ever been

Malcolm,

2003 25C
- spare tire & bracket

This is a peace of mind item. This was my number one option.

Quite honestly I would go with two. Assuming you are going to have the trailer built rather than taken from the dealers inventory, if you add the second fan now, you don't have to worry about messing up the seal around the hatch for a retrofit. If $$ are an issue, remember that there are different model Fantastic Fans. For example you don't have to put in the model with the rain sensor or with reverse, all of which will save some $$.

Nice.

- bike rack on the rear

Still undecided about:

I don't have this today but would have bought it in a heartbeat if I had known how nice this was.

- Electric Hitch Jack

You do want this. After having one I'd never go back to cranking.

Depends how many $$ you have leftover. I have the Dual Cam and am very happy. Note that you may have to do some drilling through the gas bottle tray to mount the Dual Cam hardware (at least my dealer had to on my 27' Safari.)
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 03:47 PM   #8
Rick & Lynn Rorie

2019 25' International
Mint Hill , North Carolina
Electric Jack & Black Water Flush

Some things seem like luxuries when they are actually necessities. The electric jack is one of these things.

You are going to use a black water flush in the future whether or not you order it on the trailer. You just need to decide whether you really want to be sticking a hose down into the john and wiggling it around. They wouldn't put these things standard on the Classic if it wasn't needed.

INMHO, Airstreams historically have not liked to have much weight hanging off of their a**es. The weight of a spare tire hanging off the end has been known to cause frame sag. This you DO NOT WANT. I'm pretty sure Airstream doesn't offer any kind of rack for the rear of their trailers. Not to mention the balance issue. Use your own judgement about the bicycles, I err on the side of caution.

Good luck on your future purchase!
WBCCI 7231
rickdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 05:38 PM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
Re: Electric Jack & Black Water Flush

Quote:
Originally posted by rickdesign

The weight of a spare tire hanging off the end has been known to cause frame sag. This you DO NOT WANT.
FYI, the spare tire on the newer Airstreams is carried in a carrier that is recessed into the underbelly in the front of the trailer. No bumper mounts. That's why I suggested that Malcolm might consider having the trailer built with this at the factory rather than have the dealer rip into the underbelly. At the factory they build this prior to the trailer shell being placed on the frame. Much easier than the guys laying on their back at a dealership, having to do this work.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-13-2003, 05:52 PM   #10
Rick & Lynn Rorie

2019 25' International
Mint Hill , North Carolina
Duh.

I was using the example of a rear mounted tire to indicate that other people have done this and it is not a good idea. You see, I used this example because the original poster indicated that he might put bicycles back there, which would be added weight. Did you think I was suggesting that he mount a tire back there, since he never indicated that he might? Yes, the spare tire goes right behind the hitch, at least that's where it is on mine.

Please let me know if I can clear this up further.

I was talking about weight at the rear of the trailer...get it?
WBCCI 7231
rickdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 08:29 AM   #11

Fenton , Missouri
Since Malcolm is a potential new owner I wanted to aquaint him where the spare is kept on the newer trailers. He may not have known.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-17-2003, 09:16 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

We are placing an order on tuesday for a Bambi. We were going to have the rug taken out and replaced by wood (vinyl ) flooring. When told the price, we went to Home Depot priced out the stuff and decided to do it ourselves!
Ed L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 04:44 PM   #13

Fenton , Missouri
Ed & Nancy

Our Safari is totally carpeted except for the bath. Quite honestly we would have been better off to have a small carpeted area just in front of the sofa, non-carpeted floor from the door to the bathroom, and carpet from there back to the bedroom.

Right now we have a lot of throw rugs down. I also used our steam vac to go over the carpet late last summer. So far the carpet looks like new. It will be interesting to see how long it stays that way.

Good luck with your new Bambi. I guess it will be delivered to your dealer around mid to late April if your build time matches the time it took to build mine. I ordered in early March and the unit was delivered to STL at the end of April.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-17-2003, 08:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Re: Closest we have ever been

Quote:
Originally posted by kamadeca

2003 25C
- spare tire & bracket
Essential IMHO

Quote:
I like having two with rain sensors, but you may be able to get by with just one and the other manual vent open, if you put a MaxxAire cover over it in case it starts raining.

Quote:
We have hardwood in the kitchen, and it would be nice to have it all the way up to the couch. It sure is nice to have carpeting in the bedroom and hallway to the bathroom when you get up on those cold nights!

Quote:
I don't think the 25C comes with a folding table since it has a dinette, and it doesn't look like there's enough room between the dinette and couch to put a credenza, considering the couch has to fold out to become a bed. Look here. Just mount an LCD TV on the back of the dinette.

It looks like there IS room for one of their 6" deep cabinets like what I keep my bar in.

BTW, Airstream says this is a 25A, but it looks like a 25C Virtual Tour to me.

Quote:
- bike rack on the rear
Better talk to AS about that one.

Quote:
Still undecided about:
This is great. Not only for cleaning, but for adding water when you don't have enough in the tank to get a good dump. Also for adding 3-4 gallons after dumping. I still think the 18 gallon black tank is going to be way too small for a family with kids.

Quote:
- Electric Hitch Jack
Wouldn't have a trailer without it. Seriously.

Quote:
Hensley, of course

Quote:
Wish me luck
Good luck!

Let me add... the screen door guard will be handy with kids. Also, have them replace the dual-incandescent overhead lights with dual-tube flourescents... more light from less battery power when boondocking.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Maurice,

I forgot what thread it was that you gave advice on raising the tongue prior to engaging the weight distribution bars, but today I hooked-up and you're right, much less stress on them.

Just wanted to thank you for the tip!!

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 08:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
You're welcome, John!