Old 12-18-2003, 10:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Close calls

Well, I just experienced my first "close call" with my Airstream. We had a vicious wind-driven rainstorm last night (60mph+ winds) which toppled two mature trees in my neighbors yard. The trees are next to my property line and fell just over the property line right up alongside my house right on top of where I store my Airstream. Luckily for me, the Airstream is in Jackson Center for the winter. Phew!

Anyone else out there have a "close call" story to share? I think close call stories are the best because there are usually no adverse consequences short of the initial adrenaline rush!

WBCCI Region One

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 11:02 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Close Call

I am sure this has happened to many of us.

We were in a construction area on I-95 and came upon a "Lane Change" area that had Jersey barriers on both sides of the two lanes. The outside lane was of macadam and was added to move traffic to the right of the original roadbed. There was no "UNEVEN PAVEMENT" warning so I was doing about 40 mph (posted 45) when I hit the uneven portion. As I dropped down the inch or so to the outside lane things started happening quickly. The front of the Excursion was forced to the right. I corrected to the left because there was not of full lane of macadam so I was forced to straddle the lane drop. Getting back onto the main lane meant another sway making movement. I gently hit just the trailer brakes to straighten things out. I checked my mirror and found the vehicle in the lane next to me had slowed to give me both lanes to maneouver in, God Bless him.
I got things under control when my wife Josie, said, "boy, we almost hit that barrier that was sticking out of line." I hadn't seen that, being involved with what was going on on my side of the vehicle.

I don't know how much the A/S was swaying but I have got to believe that the Dual Cam Sway Control paid for itself several times over.

Learned a valuable lesson, though. Always assume uneven pavement in construction areas and be ready for it.

It all happened to quickly to be scared, until later. As luck would have it, there was no damage to the trailer or the Excursion. We came within an inch or two of damaging the trailer, for sure. I will bet the folks behind me got a real show.

Vic Smith
Director Florida State Rally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:00 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
I bought my AS on ebay sight unseen in MN. The guy said that the brakes worked fine.
They weren't even connected underneath.
Drove 1200 mi to DE w/o brakes. 45 mph max!
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 03:38 PM   #4
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, on a clear day, no wind, a tree behind the garage fell and damaged the garage, but the garage took one for the team....the soft leaves were all that were touching the trailer!

Then one day, same kind of day, I heard something fall...a branch had fallen off our silver maple and landed about 3 feet from the Bambi....again just the soft leaves brushing the side.....

Talks about luck.....either this summer or next, I'm building a garage to replace the damaged one (that has been band aided together) and it will have one bay that will be able to accomidate the new 25' Safari SS.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Send a message via ICQ to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Yahoo to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Skype™ to 53flyingcloud
Thumbs down No more nights...

Vic, reading your account brought flashbacks of a similar incident for me..
I was traveling on I-81 at night and, found myself in a pocket of fog that was pea-soup dense. I had slowed down to 40-45 mph, that's how bad it was, when out of nowhere I found myself being squeezed by those d#@#n Jersey barriers, both on drivers side as well as one straight head on..(It seemed that the intent was to squeeze you to the left) At the time, because of the fog, etc..I took the exit as my only recourse to avoid hitting the barriers.
I was braking all the way down the exit ramp..Luckly, my speed was only 40 mph at the exit's entrance.
I drove down the road a short distance and pulled into a closed filling station. Sat there for the longest time, recovering from the chilling shakes that followed.
Now this is the oddest thing, when I took the exit turn..I didn't know it was there ahead of time.. I had to have had an "Angel" looking over me~!
I resolved that, after this, no more night time driving with my Airstream.
Later, afterwards, I learned that there had been several auto accidents further down the interstate.
Interesting thread..

WBCCI 5292 AIR 807
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 11:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Close call

I had the same kind of close call as 53 Flying Cloud pulling a trailer on I 40 but the one I will never forget wasnít pulling a trailer.
I had a flat bed truck drop his load of steel in front of me going 75 mph on I 85. At first I thought the truck had caught on fire as I could not see for the flames but soon realized that it was sparks from the steel sliding on the pavement and the steel rods were flying all around me.
I went off the road to the right narrowly missing a sign I didnít even see until it was passing me on the left. How I managed to miss all the steel rods is beyond me. It was 2:00 AM and no other traffic. I came to a stop sideways on a rest area exit, the truck couldnít stop before he passed the exit. I pulled into the rest area and decided to call home even if it was 2:00 AM. I felt OK but couldnít get the dime into the payphone slot I was shaking so hard. It was over an hour before I calmed down enough to drive on home. The HP came and closed the Interstate until they could pick up the steel.

garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:53 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
That is scary.

Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote