Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Clean-up Volunteering New Orleans Schools

As rebuilding evolves in New Orleans I've wanted to help in some meaningful way. A long standing program called the Tulane Paint Rally for New Orleans Public Schools has expanded it's programs to help prepare schools for opening and they need volunteers. Work will include power washing, cleaning, painting and scraping, help with landscaping and minor building repairs as needed to get the schools open and operational. I have contacted the coordinator, Hamilton Simons-Jones (503) 858-9055 and my wife and I have arranged to be there volunteering from Jan 4 through about Jan 11. We do not yet know which school we will be assigned to, but we will know by late December.

It occured to me there might be other Airstreamers who would want to join us. Since housing and/or hookups are scarce, we plan to be self contained during our stay, bringing our own water, food, and electricity via generator. Hopefully we will be allowed to park in the parking lot of the school to which we are assigned. I realize this is all a bit sketchy at this point, but the call is out: "Are there any Airstreamers out there who would like to join us and make it an Airstreamer thing". Would love to hear your thoughts.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Great timing.

We (my wife and I) were planning to leave next week to spend a couple of weeks in Mexico with some full timing friends. After that we planned to make our way to the New Orleans area to see if we could find some volunteer opportunites to help out.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Update: It's the first day of the post and we already have 3 rigs joining the work. Updates will be made as others come on board.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
We passed thru New Orleans yesterday on our way to Florida just to get an overview of the conditions in the city. The western portion of the city is for the most part back up and operational. The easter portion is mostly abandoned. There was plenty of traffic on I-10, about like normal. We've talked to Hamilton and the school where we will be volunteering to help will be mostly ready on the outside, but needs painting and cleanup on the inside. By the time we get there on Jan 4, almost all the work will be on the inside, and most of the work will be cleaning and painting. I'll post more as things develop.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Bless you all!

I am so awed by the good things folks do everyday, just like you are. I hear that some nice eateries are back up, you'll probably hear all that. Please keep reporting on what you find. The Wall Street Journal had a gloomy report about illegal salvaging of historic homes that are still unoccupied. I'd like to hear about all the good things folks are doing to make it a better place.
In case you can/have an interest Mondays at 800 N Rampart http://www.donnasbarandgrill.com/ you can get free red beans and rice, great bbq, and hear some great brass bands! Bob French's band is just the epitome of new orleans jazz. Thanks for what you are doing for the kids and people of New Orleans.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Hi Steph, thanks for the "heads-up". We are big BBQ fans so we're looking forward to enjoying some. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I've contacted Hamilton to get the name and address of the school where we will be volunteering, but got his voice mail. I should get the answer today or tomorrow and will post it as soon as I receive it. We're looking forward to meeting the other Airstream Forums volunteers and want to let everlyone know there is room for more. If you've been trying to come up with a way to help in New Orleans, this is about as honest and forthright endeavor as you will ever find. We hope more people will join us. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
No update as yet. I've been calling Hamilton several times per day but always get his voice mail. He must be out of town for the Holidays. I'll post school and address as soon as I get it. Thanks. Bob
Old 12-30-2005, 02:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
We heard from Hamilton today, but there isn't a lot of information to pass along. He told us they were just finishing up one school and were about to start another and he wasn't sure if we would be at the 1st school or at the 2nd. The is just a small amount of detail work and cleaning at the first school and he wasn't sure how many volunteers he would have this weekend given it is New Year's Eve. He should know more on Monday, but possibly later. I will pass along any information as soon as I get it. Bob T.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:22 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Hurrah! I finally received some concrete information to pass along. Yesterday, the Tulane Paint Rally finished up at one school and they will start at a new school on Thursday at 9:00 AM. The new school is:

McDonogh 35 Senior High School
1331 Keroerec Street, 07116

For contact purposes, Hamilton is having trouble with the phone system at his office, so you may need to have is personal cell phone number. If you need it, please email me and I will send it to you.

There will be a volunteer orientation meeting Wednesday afternoon. I don't know the exact location or time, but will publish it here as soon as they provide the information.

Will provide more info as soon as I get it. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Oops: The address for the School is 1331 Kerlerec St.the zip code for the school is 70116
Old 01-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
It's 5:30 PM on Tuesday and I just heard from Hamilton's wife. They still don't know where they are going to park us. I'm sorry this is taking so long, but I don't know how to get the process to work better. The good news is the school we are assigned to is only a few blocks from the French Quarter so we should be able to enjoy some good New Orleans food.

Again, I'll post more as I receive it.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Great Job!

Bob,
That sounds like a great job you are starting.
Be sure to post some pics of the work.
How does the area near the 'Quoata' look, post Katrina?
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
For now we are parked in a parking lot 6440 Clairborne Ave. We are in a parking lot at west end of 8 story building. First day was cleanup at a school that will open on Monday. Tomorrow we will help to cleanup another school that will open next week.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
We have departed New Orleans and are headed home. I've lots of info and insights to share and a few pictures. Will post more in a day or two.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I know the people of New Orleans are glad for the help you, your wife and other volunteers have given.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
First, some photo's of New Orleans then a description. The 1st Photo is of ground level zero at the Industrial Canal. The picture is taken below the levy which is being repaired and it shows the big red barge which broke loose, slammed into the levy, breaking a hole, which started the whole flood. Unique coincidence that Baton Rouge means "Red Boat". Baton Rouge seems to be problematic to New Orleans.

2nd Picture is directly infront of the levy break at the big red barge. Houses were floated off their foundations and smashed together. Near everything is gone. Huge piles of debris.

3rd Picture is more damage near the big red barge. The type of destruction seen in Picture 3 is very widespread. There are literally square miles like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NO-zero.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	17650   Click image for larger version

Name:	NO-Destruction.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	17651  

Click image for larger version

Name:	NO-Destruction2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	17652  
Old 01-14-2006, 02:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
An Overview
New Orleans is starting to rebuild, but it is going to be a long and slow process. The area starting about ½ miles east of the French Quarter and extending eastward seems to be the most devastated. From the French Quarter westward, some areas are already very close to normal.

Some of the first things you notice are there are almost no business signs so it is hard to tell what a business is. Only about 20% of the businesses west of downtown are up and running. Virtually all of the franchises are closed, like McDonalds, Burger King, Advance Auto Parts, KFC, Goodyear stores, etc. The businesses which are open are mostly the mom and pop stores and eateries. There are a few Winn-Dixie supermarkets open. Of the cities' 480 or so stop lights, only about 1/3 are operational. This makes for real traffic nightmares at rush hours. In most areas there is no postal service, or garbage pickup. Most areas have seen major damage to street lights, so it can be spooky dark in the evenings. There are abandoned cars everywhere, from clunkers to Lexus's. Last count was in the neighborhood of 10,000 abandoned cars, but it is probably way higher. There are giant piles of debris stacked everywhere, but it is being removed at a fast rate. In the week we were there, very noticeable amounts of debris had been removed.

Of the cities' Public Schools, only about 15 of 115 are open. There aren't many kids around, but they are starting to return. No public libraries are open. Only one hospital has reopened since the flood. Some will never reopen.

Because of the debris being stacked everywhere, there are lots of screws and nails on the highway and flat tires are a common occurrence.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
If we can get down there to help out in April over Spring Break, what is the best way to set it up? Woul dI be better going thru a Church type organization, or what is suggested? I might like to go to Pass Christian or somewhere in Miss, as they seem in dire need.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #20
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Habitat for humanity

What a nice way to spend spring break!! Good for you. Looking forward to hearing Bob's response regarding folks to contact. I'd like to share that the folks who purchased our vintage airstream are working for habitat for humanity in MS, I understand that they went through the MS branch of habitat. Btw they are living in our former trailer during the time down there (Nov-March). Hoping they join the forum and tell their story!
Bob that was such a great thing you folks did! Thanks so much for sharing the photos and the stories.