Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Belleville , Illinois
CLASSIC Newb mistake...in hindsight...

Well, we have been wanting an Airstream for quite a while and finally found one we THOUGHT would be great. A '66 28" Ambassador Double. Exterior and interior both in nice enough shape not to be a full gut. Serviceable. A Great starting point. We had emailed about many trailers over the years but this is the first we found that we were convinced was "the one". We committed to buy it and drove 12hrs. ONE WAY to pick up.

My father-in-law and I arrived early one morning to the home of the seller to take a look. I thought it was even better in the flesh than in the photos and was pretty excited. The floor past the dual axles sloped down slightly but, no big deal right?

The deal was made and we drove the trailer back home and parked it in the spot where we would begin the work on our new "project". As we started to research the floor issue we discovered this is fairly common and can also be a good sign to KEEP LOOKING. Nevertheless we started the restoration by first pulling the entire belly pan to see what we were dealing with. Plan was to get the rear end re-welded, run new gas lines, reinsulate, button it back up and then move on to the next step. Well, the trailer went to the welder today who took a look and determined the frame too far gone to fix. Nothing to tie into for new steel. His advice, cut our losses.

So...what now? We can't in good conscious sell to someone else without full disclosure. Do we part it out? How do we find someone who might be willing to go farther than we were willing and do frame off and reassemble? How much is a new frame and where can one be found?

Needless to say our dreams are feeling pretty crushed right now and looking for advice on how to sell this one and reassess or encouragement to forge ahead...

Thanks.
dudedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:57 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Apison , Tennessee
pictures would help. hard to get a good answer without seeing it. perhaps you can have another welder look at it, maybe it was just more than the first one wanted to tackle.
V30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Personally I'd get a second opinion. The frame does not hold up the trailer but is part of a monocoque design incorporating the frame, floor and shell. I'd resolve to lift the shell and pull the chassis out from under. Then I'd take it to a welder who restored cars or trucks and had seen damage like that. I've seen them rebuilt from the wheels back.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote