Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure that reporters do, indeed, pay to fly on government aircraft. All those knuckelheads that you see on Air Force One pay the equivalent of a regular coach fare for the flight, if I'm not mistaken. I "know a guy who knows a guy" who should have a definative answer. I'll see what I can find out.

Jim
This is correct but you would not see many reporters fly coach if they had too, AF1 is a really nice way to fly. Think 1st class than a whole lot more..... BTW - it's to the politicos advantage to have them along - many of these White House "reporters" love their perks and "work" (a very kind way of putting it) long and hard at getting to those plush positions.

Their fares are the lowert thay can prove that a commercial airline will charge for the same route. $50 one way L.A. to New York but on AF1 and not AirTran.... what a deal!!!!!
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Good reminder Steph,
We are never going to agree on politics and I've had to delete a couple of posts that I started. It's just to easy to start down that slope and devolve into a flame throwing thread.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:59 AM   #23
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
C130's got jet engines too
Aaron

Stand corrected, I just get really confussed when I look out the little ports and see props.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #24
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Thanks, mod.

Politics are a lot like underwear.
Mine are important to me, and I presume that most people - but not all - have some, and find them important as well.

But unless they're literally on fire, or full of fire ants or something I'm kind of not interested in sharing or knowing any more than that.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
Politics are a lot like underwear... unless they're literally on fire, or full of fire ants or something I'm kind of not interested in sharing or knowing any more than that.
Fire? Ants? Dude, where are you shopping for underwear?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #26
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Stand corrected, I just get really confussed when I look out the little ports and see props.
Looking out the wrong port there?

My BIL flies 3rd seat on the C130 and has always joked that he wanted to fly Fat Albert.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
C130's got jet engines too

Aaron
Umm BTY those are not jets, they are (JATO) solid fuel rockets for short filed take-off. Once you light them up, there is no shutting them off.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Actually putting a 40 foot (?!?) Airstream on a sled so any cargo plane can haul VIPs is a pretty slick way to save my moolah and to provide these officials a comfy way to get around the world.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Just a heads up: This thread has been flirting with being political, which is a no-no on the forums. Please be sure to stick to the non-political points of the thread. It's actually very interesting, I had no idea about the high-flying Airstream.
right on, Stef. I've been in other forums where once the politics started flying I made a bee-line for the door. reminds me of the quote: "opinions are like (part of one's "derierre")...everybody's got one." plus shiny trailers are just a lot more fun to talk about...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
I personally would enjoy a good political debate and the free exchange of ideas. Interests me instead of making me want to run for the door. But I have thick skin and don't let debates become personal. Of course that's just my opinion. You know, different strokes and all and if there is something I don't care to read I simply don't read it and don't care if others do.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
Politics are a lot like underwear... unless they're literally on fire, or full of fire ants or something I'm kind of not interested in sharing or knowing any more than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
Fire? Ants? Dude, where are you shopping for underwear?
His wife buys them for him. BWWAAAHAHAHAHAH HA HA HA!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #32
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialma
I'm surprised Cheney hasn't shot a hole in the side of the Airstream
Guess he hasn't taken it on a hunting trip yet!

BTW, this has been a non-political attempt at humor.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #33
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone
I personally would enjoy a good political debate and the free exchange of ideas........
I agree with your sentiments here. After all, I enjoy a good political debate as much as the next guy/gal. The problem is that this is not a political forum; it’s a forum about Airstream Travel Trailers and camping.

Political threads have been allowed in the past and they inevitably degenerate into name calling, improper discussions of right and wrong and bad feelings amongst the members. In other words, lots of stuff that is not appropriate here.

There are many places, both virtual and real, to discuss politics. We can all go there and debate to our hearts content. Let’s leave this forum about Airstreams.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Even in the Off Topics subforum????? I do however get your point, it's just too bad that is the way of things.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #35
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Yep, even there. We had a couple of threads in the past that turned very ugly and chased some folks away from the forum. I’m not a big believer in “zero tolerance”, but it does have its place, occasionally. Politics here, on this forum is a good example of zero tolerance policies making good sense.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #36
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Yep, even there. We had a couple of threads in the past that turned very ugly and chased some folks away from the forum. I’m not a big believer in “zero tolerance”, but it does have its place, occasionally. Politics here, on this forum is a good example of zero tolerance policies making good sense.

Jim
Yep, Fire ants, man, fire ants.

(and thanks for keeping it fire ant free, BTW, while I'm sure we can all agree to disagree, we can all agree to disagree somewhere else).

I do like the concept of the platform Airstream body on a pallet. It's genius.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #37
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Sadly it looks like they will be replacing the Silver Bullet This quote is from a link in the similar thread mentioned above...

Steel Eagle will replace the aging Silver Bullet capability that provides a transportable command, control and communications capability to the Secretary and Deputy Secretary of Defense, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Combatant Commanders, and other SeniorLeaders aboard modified USAF cargo aircraft (KC-10s and C-17s, which have already been configured to accept the modules and are not part of this supplemental). FY05supplemental funding will be used to pay for the design and fabrication of two (2) complete sets of Steel Eagle modules (a communications module and a
conferencingmodule); a small system integration lab (SIL); procurement, installation, integration and testing of all C3 equipment (secure and non-secure voice, data, and video teleconferencing); support/office equipment and environmental equipment to operate the modules in the aircraft or as stand-alone C3 centers for initial support of the Senior Leader in theater. The aging, existing modules are commercial AirStream trailers, which consist of an executive suite and a communications suite.

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
The aging, existing modules are commercial AirStream trailers, which consist of an executive suite and a communications suite.

Steve
Aging? Wha- whaddaya mean, aging? Don't they know they can strip it to the ribs and make it any old (new) way they want? Don't they read this forum? I mean, they could have a Ralph Lauren interior, for crying out loud, or have that guy on DIY - Tetley or Tetter or whatever the heck his name is - roll some yellow paint on the ceiling.

I tell ya, it just ain't right.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
Sadly it looks like they will be replacing the Silver Bullet This quote is from a link in the similar thread mentioned above...

The aging, existing modules are commercial AirStream trailers, which consist of an executive suite and a communications suite.

Steve
Time to start watching the Gov. auctions website.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:08 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Because they are taxpayers, reporting to taxpayers, and we value a free press as part of a free democracy?
Think of Emily Latilla (SNL) when I say "Never mind". I had no idea reporters paid anything to ride on AF1.

Quote:
Evacuated from Yemen? Now that's an interesting story!
Not really. Just another civil war driven by greed. I just wanted to express thanks to any of our Forms folks who serve in the military. They are the greatest!!

Quote:
Just a heads up: This thread has been flirting with being political, which is a no-no on the forums. Please be sure to stick to the non-political points of the thread. It's actually very interesting, I had no idea about the high-flying Airstream.
I just revisited this thread for the 1st time in a very long time. Didn't know my comments had been seen as political and that I'd stirred up a hornet's nest - and for that I apologize big time. I get WAY too much out of AirForums to want to be seen as a trouble maker!! Thanks Steph.
Jim