Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Censorship on AF

My popular "Sex in an Airstream" thread has been locked.

The Air Forums are invaluable. But let us not forget that its value is based solely on the contributions of its members. Censorship dilutes the value of that contribution.

However, in the case of "Sex in an Airstream," if the locking was due to complaint from a minority of members, I am extremely grateful for your efforts.

Why?

I will defer to Dick Cavett: Censorship feeds the dirty mind more than the four-letter word itself.

Regards,
FAN
Old 05-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
well, if the trailer is a rockin'...
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 05-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I am dissapointed the thread has been blocked. I found it amusing and informative and way more entertaining than the usual black water issues. Awhile back I intentionally pushed a thread called "Camping in Bear Country to see how far we could go. At one point I even asked for moderation, to no avail. I would vote that the Thread be changed to "EX IN AN AIRSTREAM". Tales of litigation, murder and mayham.
If people were offended by the thread they ciyld have easily eliminated those feelings by unsubscribing from the thread.
Dan
Dissapointed and unfulfilled in Wa State.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
I would vote that the Thread be changed to "EX IN AN AIRSTREAM". Tales of litigation, murder and mayham.

LOL! One letter changes the whole thread!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
The older I get the more I scratch my head about the strange duality of prudishness, and implied sexual signals in so much of culture.

Its a strange, exciting repression. The why of it is completely beyond me.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
LOL@ lewis.

It has been my observation and experience that those who vigorously expound censorship do so because they possess a guilty conscience.

Ironically, this piece of "trailer trash in silver spandex" has always been monogamous and I do not smoke, drink, or do drugs.

The human condition is truly absurd.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
The decision to close the thread was based on the consensus of the site team. We try to avoid actions such as this but there are occasions when intervention is required. When complaints, or ongoing vulgarity are encountered, we review the conditions and act according to the site rules. We take into account the interest of our members (within reason), but when threads get off track and beyond the limits of what one would consider a typical family environment, we act accordingly. We attempt to maintain a sense of humor about topics posted here as this is a diverse membership, but there is a limit.

As for the references to censorship. Please refer to the Community Rules which are part of the TOS you agree to abide by when you sign up here.

Quote:
Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we make the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right at our discretion to remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary ban or remove members. Any abuse toward our staff may/will result in immediate suspension of your account. Complaints about moderator decisions may not be made in posts; instead send a private message to a moderator. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.

Someone has to interpret the above guidelines and how they apply to this forum. Ultimately it's up to our site administrator to make this decision. If you have any questions about these guidelines, please feel free to contact us.
On behalf of the site team.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 05-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I guess there was a fine line ....at least it was crossed with humor, however low brow it was!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 05-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
I didn't really post to it, but it did seem very very popular. It seems that popularity would account for something:-) But it is privately owned so the moral code those owners push must be abided by regardless if some people find it to to be censorship.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned.
...who will then ignore you, at least in my experience.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Old 05-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I believe, being one of the two last contributors to the last 4 posts to the thread, that it was my fault the thread was torpedoed. I am soooooo sorry. I thought I was contributing to the Airstream experience of enjoyment during the off season. It may have been the picture I pasted to support my opinion on the si&^&^* subject?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77 View Post
I guess there was a fine line ....at least it was crossed with humor, however low brow it was!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
It was fun, and I hope all who contributed and enjoyed the thread, voice their opinion about its closure.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I see it has shrunk another page today.
Maybe there is a limit of 50 pages/thread

Dave
Old 05-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
I am dissapointed the thread has been blocked. I found it amusing and informative and way more entertaining than the usual black water issues. Awhile back I intentionally pushed a thread called "Camping in Bear Country to see how far we could go. At one point I even asked for moderation, to no avail. I would vote that the Thread be changed to "EX IN AN AIRSTREAM". Tales of litigation, murder and mayham.
If people were offended by the thread they ciyld have easily eliminated those feelings by unsubscribing from the thread.
Dan
Dissapointed and unfulfilled in Wa State.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
I believe, being one of the two last contributors to the last 4 posts to the thread, that it was my fault the thread was torpedoed. I am soooooo sorry. I thought I was contributing to the Airstream experience of enjoyment during the off season. It may have been the picture I pasted to support my opinion on the si&^&^* subject?

Dave
you broke the mattress!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
LOL@ lewis.

It has been my observation and experience that those who vigorously expound censorship do so because they possess a guilty conscience.

Ironically, this piece of "trailer trash in silver spandex" has always been monogamous and I do not smoke, drink, or do drugs.

The human condition is truly absurd.
based upon the thread are we just to use our imaginations, or are pictures to follow, "trailer trash in silver spandex"?
Old 05-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ya know, folks, you really had quite a run with that thread, and it went pretty darn far down the road of risqué.

I was surprised the mods let it go as long as they did, and--no--I never complained to anyone about it. Ummm, I was a regular reader.

My opinion---don't beat the mods up for shutting it down. So there. Nothing lasts forever.

Maggie
Old 05-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Our country has already become a nanny state.
Please don't let Air Forums follow suit.
Collectivism and totalitarianism will never work.
We are not 3rd graders.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The question of censorship comes up periodically. Of course this is a private business and the owner or his agents may close down any thread at will or may cancel the membership of anyone at any time for just about any or maybe no reason. The rules are in some ways vague and the enforcement is secret ("Complaints about moderator decisions may not be made in posts").

Vague rules and secretive actions causes resentment and is an invitation for arbitrary and perhaps foolish decisions. Secrecy also provides no guidelines to tell people know what is ok and what is not.

The reason for shutting down the thread seems to be it violated a "typical family environment". That could mean just about anything depending on an individual's sense of propriety. I assume children don't have any interest in this Forum, so I don't see how they are being protected. Things on TV—broadcast as well as cable—are more extreme than that thread.

While I don't question the rights of the owner (who is a decent guy) and the power of the mods, who really owns this? In a standard property rights analysis, of course the owner owns it. But the members make it work and they have some ownership in a less traditional sense.

Gene
Old 05-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink Obscenity...is in the mind of the beholder.

I miss enough sex at home...now the Airstream.

"Sex: the thing that takes up the least amount of time and causes the most amount of trouble."

Bob
Old 05-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I think that the moderators were wrong to close this thread, it was all pretty harmless stuff. However, they have a job to do and as they point out, thems the rules what we signed up to.

Still think it was wrong though......

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
Closed Thread