Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #57
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas

I just looked through the last few months of "photo of the month" threads. There are pictures that can include all definitions of "family," and races, religions, and sexual orientations--I think Air Forums is pretty darned inclusive.

So if a thread that is suggestive for suggestiveness' sake (to be polite), or just vulgar, gets shut down, then so be it. Just because a wall (or an internet space) presents itself as a blank slate, doesn't mean that anything and everything should be written on it.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
ABCDEFG.....OK! we are off and running on a new thread. Good one.

"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #59
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
My popular "Sex in an Airstream" thread has been locked.
Yup, first they burried it, and then had to drive a wooden stake through its heart.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #60
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Everybody has their own experiences and viewpoints which create this wonderfully eclectic and varied world we share on the forum. I saw a portion of the aforementioned thread once before, had a laugh, and moved on. However, I am lost by all this discussion of moderator participation. Yes, I have seen the occasional post, but I can only go by my experience which has been three requests for help and only one response which was an excuse for not answering for a week and a promise to get to it. Am I in trouble for mentioning that nothing came of that promise either?

All in all, they seem pretty hands off to me.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #61
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
ABCDEFG.....OK! we are off and running on a new thread. Good one.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member
1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Do you remember the threads "checkers in an Airstream" or "crossword puzzles in an Airstream"?

I didn't think so...
Every home needs a dog, and every dog needs a home.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #63
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
I think the moderators gave the thread and posters the opportunity to see where it was going... given that I wondered about that in Post #3 on the thread back in the beginning.

Having spent 25 years vigorously exercising the First Amendment as an ink-stained wretch, I will defend your right to expression, but in this particular arena, we are all guests and agreed to comply with the rules of the arena. If we didn't choose to read the TOS, shame on us.

Thanks to the moderators for keeping this a very civil, yet interesting, helpful and entertaining place. Compared to the rest of the internet, this is a pretty amazing place of respect and the moderators have set the tone for that.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #64
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
If something is started in fun it is probably over as soon as people start overthinking or complaining. Enjoy the funnies and move on if it's over. The intent was to have fun and make a joke, not to test the parameters of the forum or to confront one another with weighty subjects. All those civil rights advocates could probably find much more worthy pursuits for their energy and expertise. I think a few of us may even be due to have a break and go camping in the Airstream, soon.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #65
Rivet Master
1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
The existence and persistence of this thread tells me that Airstream members have too much time on their hands, so I will take some time of my own to address you all.

To everyone who enjoyed my hopefully witty comments on the Thread-that-shall-not-be-named, thank you for the support. That was the most intelligent set of puns and banter I have experienced here.

To any who I offended, I apologize. It was merely done in jest. I did not mean to upset you, but in my social circles that was a toned down version of appropriate, while in yours it is past the line. Our differences should err on the side of caution in the future.

To the forum moderators, in all seriousness, Thank you. I mean this on two levels. For one, it is tough being the "bad guy" sometimes, but I know you truly waited until the thread had jumped the shark. Allowing it to continue was nice, and I am thankful for it. Secondly, thanks for ending it because I was really out of puns and good material relating the human mating process to Airsreams.

And to the recently highlighted conspiracy theorists, we should set up a Dec 2012 Airstream rally for when Obama leads the lizard people to meet the Mayan prophets and raise Atlantis' nuclear weapons stockpile from the deep in order to defeat zombie-JFK's nearing alien invasion. Just kidding, I love you all too....
- Peter (and Marie)

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #66
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
.....And to the recently highlighted conspiracy theorists, we should set up a Dec 2012 Airstream rally for when Obama leads the lizard people to meet the Mayan prophets and raise Atlantis' nuclear weapons stockpile from the deep in order to defeat zombie-JFK's nearing alien invasion. Just kidding, I love you all too....
So, what are you saying Peter? You mean Alex Jones may be wrong?

Air No. 6427
Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #67
Rivet Master
1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
If something as trivial as Sex in an Airstream has become a Freedom of Speech issue, how about when something meaningful is being discussed?

Not too long ago I had a comment on the state of medical insurance in the United States blocked. To rub salt into my wound, the Moderator who wrote to tell me so was a CANADIAN.

Something along the line that though my post was probably well intentioned it might inflame passions!

I was not being the least bit rude in the post and I can promise you that I didnít say anything obscene (even if I think that so many Americans without health insurance in one of the richest countries in the world is obscene).

Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #68
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
And the academy award for best editing of a thread goes to....

Enoough said.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #69
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Originally Posted by dirigible25 View Post
based upon the thread are we just to use our imaginations, or are pictures to follow, "trailer trash in silver spandex"?
I'm afraid the silver spandex went up in smoke; I was trying to ignite my oily rag torch so I could "storm the castle."

How about the black ones?.....and that's all you're getting..... hard feelings. I accept the mods' decision.

Thanks all, for participating. It was fun (while it lasted).
easily distracted by shiny objects
Old 05-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #70
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
To Andy R

After reading through all of the posts I also accept the mods decision. I have no influence on their decision so my acceptance is a moot point. I realize that moderating threads and posts on this thread is a difficult job. Being arbitrary without ruining the Forum is impossible. Checking each and every post against the standards set would be impossible. having said that, standards are usually set so measurable results can be acheived. Andy R, Is this being done. Perhaps it's time to reviset these standards and amend or change them as needed to keep this Forum fresh. Are these standards in anyway tied to advertizing revenue? I understand if they are, but if they are can you be more transparent about your goals. I enjoy this Forum very much. Being a new owner I suspect I've spent more time here than in my AS.
Of course the Sex Thread was silly and in some cases inapropriate. Perhaps a warning suggestions would have been more in line rather than shutting it down. I never went it much so I don't know maybe this was done.
I deliberately pushed the "Bear Country" Thread because I was having fun and I wanted to see how far it would go.I had no clear idea of what would be considered acceptable. At one point I even jokingly asked for moderator intervention. Surely some of the posts on this thread were silly as well but many of them were also according to the existing standards you used to close the sex thead violated as well. Why was this thead not stopped?
I understand this is a profit making venture for you and applaud your inguinity.
Please consider making these standards or rules more user friendly so people know when they cross the line. There are a lot of smart well educated people on this forum so creativity will sometimes involve a high level of word play that may offend some people. Not all, but some. Think about what you are doing when you delete some posts. Many people are upset they have no public venue when this is done. Try to balance your business goals of enhancing your advertizing revenue with the needs and expectations of thousands of members who support this forum.
Lets keep it safe, fun, informative and fair. And yes sometimes irreverant.....

Hope is not a plan.
Closed Thread