Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
ABCDEFG.....OK! we are off and running on a new thread. Good one.
giddyyup!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Do you remember the threads "checkers in an Airstream" or "crossword puzzles in an Airstream"?

I didn't think so...

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I think the moderators gave the thread and posters the opportunity to see where it was going... given that I wondered about that in Post #3 on the thread back in the beginning.

Having spent 25 years vigorously exercising the First Amendment as an ink-stained wretch, I will defend your right to expression, but in this particular arena, we are all guests and agreed to comply with the rules of the arena. If we didn't choose to read the TOS, shame on us.

Thanks to the moderators for keeping this a very civil, yet interesting, helpful and entertaining place. Compared to the rest of the internet, this is a pretty amazing place of respect and the moderators have set the tone for that.

Dana
Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
If something is started in fun it is probably over as soon as people start overthinking or complaining. Enjoy the funnies and move on if it's over. The intent was to have fun and make a joke, not to test the parameters of the forum or to confront one another with weighty subjects. All those civil rights advocates could probably find much more worthy pursuits for their energy and expertise. I think a few of us may even be due to have a break and go camping in the Airstream, soon.

photography
Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
The existence and persistence of this thread tells me that Airstream members have too much time on their hands, so I will take some time of my own to address you all.

To everyone who enjoyed my hopefully witty comments on the Thread-that-shall-not-be-named, thank you for the support. That was the most intelligent set of puns and banter I have experienced here.

To any who I offended, I apologize. It was merely done in jest. I did not mean to upset you, but in my social circles that was a toned down version of appropriate, while in yours it is past the line. Our differences should err on the side of caution in the future.

To the forum moderators, in all seriousness, Thank you. I mean this on two levels. For one, it is tough being the "bad guy" sometimes, but I know you truly waited until the thread had jumped the shark. Allowing it to continue was nice, and I am thankful for it. Secondly, thanks for ending it because I was really out of puns and good material relating the human mating process to Airsreams.

And to the recently highlighted conspiracy theorists, we should set up a Dec 2012 Airstream rally for when Obama leads the lizard people to meet the Mayan prophets and raise Atlantis' nuclear weapons stockpile from the deep in order to defeat zombie-JFK's nearing alien invasion. Just kidding, I love you all too....

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #66
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
.....And to the recently highlighted conspiracy theorists, we should set up a Dec 2012 Airstream rally for when Obama leads the lizard people to meet the Mayan prophets and raise Atlantis' nuclear weapons stockpile from the deep in order to defeat zombie-JFK's nearing alien invasion. Just kidding, I love you all too....
So, what are you saying Peter? You mean Alex Jones may be wrong?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
If something as trivial as Sex in an Airstream has become a Freedom of Speech issue, how about when something meaningful is being discussed?

Not too long ago I had a comment on the state of medical insurance in the United States blocked. To rub salt into my wound, the Moderator who wrote to tell me so was a CANADIAN.

Something along the line that though my post was probably well intentioned it might inflame passions!

I was not being the least bit rude in the post and I can promise you that I didn’t say anything obscene (even if I think that so many Americans without health insurance in one of the richest countries in the world is obscene).

Sergei
Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
And the academy award for best editing of a thread goes to....

The MODS!

Enoough said.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirigible25 View Post
based upon the thread are we just to use our imaginations, or are pictures to follow, "trailer trash in silver spandex"?
I'm afraid the silver spandex went up in smoke; I was trying to ignite my oily rag torch so I could "storm the castle."

How about the black ones?.....and that's all you're getting.....

But...no hard feelings. I accept the mods' decision.

Thanks all, for participating. It was fun (while it lasted).
Old 05-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
To Andy R

After reading through all of the posts I also accept the mods decision. I have no influence on their decision so my acceptance is a moot point. I realize that moderating threads and posts on this thread is a difficult job. Being arbitrary without ruining the Forum is impossible. Checking each and every post against the standards set would be impossible. having said that, standards are usually set so measurable results can be acheived. Andy R, Is this being done. Perhaps it's time to reviset these standards and amend or change them as needed to keep this Forum fresh. Are these standards in anyway tied to advertizing revenue? I understand if they are, but if they are can you be more transparent about your goals. I enjoy this Forum very much. Being a new owner I suspect I've spent more time here than in my AS.
Of course the Sex Thread was silly and in some cases inapropriate. Perhaps a warning suggestions would have been more in line rather than shutting it down. I never went it much so I don't know maybe this was done.
I deliberately pushed the "Bear Country" Thread because I was having fun and I wanted to see how far it would go.I had no clear idea of what would be considered acceptable. At one point I even jokingly asked for moderator intervention. Surely some of the posts on this thread were silly as well but many of them were also according to the existing standards you used to close the sex thead violated as well. Why was this thead not stopped?
I understand this is a profit making venture for you and applaud your inguinity.
Please consider making these standards or rules more user friendly so people know when they cross the line. There are a lot of smart well educated people on this forum so creativity will sometimes involve a high level of word play that may offend some people. Not all, but some. Think about what you are doing when you delete some posts. Many people are upset they have no public venue when this is done. Try to balance your business goals of enhancing your advertizing revenue with the needs and expectations of thousands of members who support this forum.
Lets keep it safe, fun, informative and fair. And yes sometimes irreverant.....

Dan

Dan
Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
If something as trivial as Sex in an Airstream has become a Freedom of Speech issue, how about when something meaningful is being discussed?

Not too long ago I had a comment on the state of medical insurance in the United States blocked. To rub salt into my wound, the Moderator who wrote to tell me so was a CANADIAN.

Something along the line that though my post was probably well intentioned it might inflame passions!

I was not being the least bit rude in the post and I can promise you that I didn’t say anything obscene (even if I think that so many Americans without health insurance in one of the richest countries in the world is obscene).

Sergei
Freaking Canadians and their free medical care... what a bunch of pinko's. What a dumb idea... everyone paying for what everyone needs and uses.

Next thing you know they're going to put Internet in Canada and then other people are going to want public health care too...

... wait a sec ...
Old 05-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Freaking Canadians and their free medical care... what a bunch of pinko's. What a dumb idea... everyone paying for what everyone needs and uses.

Next thing you know they're going to put Internet in Canada and then other people are going to want public health care too...

... wait a sec ...
This is exactly the kind of irreverant humor that some people find so offensive but I find so smart and funny. I have two masters degrees and the first app I got for my new iphone was The Atomic Fart (25 different selections). Some people enjoy this stuff. BTW my wife deletes it everytime she gets her hands on the phone, She says I have no sense of propriety or polish and most of the time she feels like she is living with a 12 year old.Having said that we have been married for 30 years, have raised three kids, and have a good relationship. Some women are never satisfied. AGAIN very inapropriate.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post

... wait a sec ...
Masters not mastard
Old 05-03-2012, 04:51 AM   #74
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
A thread about a thread. And we're complaining about the Mods. Let me grab a beer. This should be interesting.......

Jim

Lets have a Rally.....

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mods_rockers_01.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	157357  
Old 05-03-2012, 04:52 AM   #75
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I think this thread has also gone about as far as it can go.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #76
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I think this thread has also gone about as far as it can go.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night

I'm afraid the silver spandex went up in smoke; I was trying to ignite my oily rag torch so I could "storm the castle."

How about the black ones?.....and that's all you're getting.....

But...no hard feelings. I accept the mods' decision.

Thanks all, for participating. It was fun (while it lasted).
I think we should let OP FAN's post be the final take on this.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #78
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
How about a thread called "Sleeping in an Airstream"? We can argue about the best bed, how Airstream uses cheap mattresses, how to fit a bigger mattress in the trailer, whether the mattress is too warm or too cold, whether foam toppers are a good idea, the very heavy bedspread recent models have come with, and sneak in some 1950's double entendres too.

The point: silliness and sex will break out no matter what anyone does.

A non-point: A friend had a "fart machine" which made the noises Dan talks about except not on an iPhone; we were all very, very glad when the batteries ran down.

Gene
Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #79
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

"Thanks all, for participating. It was fun (while it lasted)."

And that was the whole point....right?

Bob
Old 05-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Despite thinking that the thread was OK and that it could have stayed open, I respect the moderators' decision. Indeed, I think we have very good moderators on this forum. I used to subscribe to a site for my old school, which was not "official" and was run by an individual who took it upon himself to do the work. The trouble was that he was the only moderator; judge and jury combined, and he was manic about keeping on topic. How he had the time to police the site I will never know but it all fell to pieces as he started to interfere too much, banned people who upset him and then started snooping in PMs. So, whilst I don't always agree with the moderators here, you do a very good job, I think.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
Closed Thread