Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
 
dirigible25's Avatar
 
1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 424
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
LOL@ lewis.

It has been my observation and experience that those who vigorously expound censorship do so because they possess a guilty conscience.

Ironically, this piece of "trailer trash in silver spandex" has always been monogamous and I do not smoke, drink, or do drugs.

The human condition is truly absurd.
based upon the thread are we just to use our imaginations, or are pictures to follow, "trailer trash in silver spandex"?
__________________

__________________
dirigible25 is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,558
Ya know, folks, you really had quite a run with that thread, and it went pretty darn far down the road of risqué.

I was surprised the mods let it go as long as they did, and--no--I never complained to anyone about it. Ummm, I was a regular reader.

My opinion---don't beat the mods up for shutting it down. So there. Nothing lasts forever.


Maggie
__________________

__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now  
Old 05-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 248
Images: 3
Our country has already become a nanny state.
Please don't let Air Forums follow suit.
Collectivism and totalitarianism will never work.
We are not 3rd graders.
__________________
0557 is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,840
The question of censorship comes up periodically. Of course this is a private business and the owner or his agents may close down any thread at will or may cancel the membership of anyone at any time for just about any or maybe no reason. The rules are in some ways vague and the enforcement is secret ("Complaints about moderator decisions may not be made in posts").

Vague rules and secretive actions causes resentment and is an invitation for arbitrary and perhaps foolish decisions. Secrecy also provides no guidelines to tell people know what is ok and what is not.

The reason for shutting down the thread seems to be it violated a "typical family environment". That could mean just about anything depending on an individual's sense of propriety. I assume children don't have any interest in this Forum, so I don't see how they are being protected. Things on TV—broadcast as well as cable—are more extreme than that thread.

While I don't question the rights of the owner (who is a decent guy) and the power of the mods, who really owns this? In a standard property rights analysis, of course the owner owns it. But the members make it work and they have some ownership in a less traditional sense.

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Wink Obscenity...is in the mind of the beholder.

I miss enough sex at home...now the Airstream.


"Sex: the thing that takes up the least amount of time and causes the most amount of trouble."

Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
MrUKToad's Avatar

 
2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,372
Images: 17
Blog Entries: 13
I think that the moderators were wrong to close this thread, it was all pretty harmless stuff. However, they have a job to do and as they point out, thems the rules what we signed up to.

Still think it was wrong though......
__________________
Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #21
Wise Elder
 
Jammer's Avatar
 
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
The decision to close the thread was based on the consensus of the site team. We try to avoid actions such as this but there are occasions when intervention is required. When complaints, or ongoing vulgarity are encountered, we review the conditions and act according to the site rules. We take into account the interest of our members (within reason), but when threads get off track and beyond the limits of what one would consider a typical family environment, we act accordingly. We attempt to maintain a sense of humor about topics posted here as this is a diverse membership, but there is a limit.

As for the references to censorship. Please refer to the Community Rules which are part of the TOS you agree to abide by when you sign up here.

On behalf of the site team.

Meatball Wiki: PowerAnswer

A respectful yet complete response from the mods explaining why the thread was kept open originally and why it was ultimately closed would have done a lot less damage to the fabric of the community.

While I disagree with the decision to close the thread, I am not especially troubled by it. The idea that Airforums should be maintained as a Bowdlerized sanctuary suitable for prime-time viewing by children of 1958 has always seemed paternalistic and out of place given that the community consists exclusively of adults and the subject material is not of interest to young children. But I don't especially care.

On the other hand, I am deeply troubled by the timing and the manner in which the thread closure was handled.

The Airforums are a community site insofar as it is the financial donations and posts that make the community successful and allow it to continue to operate. The TOS is not something with community origins, and while the site team may have the legal authoritah to enforce them selectively at its discretion, there is no requirement that the community as a whole or individual members tolerate it.
__________________
Jammer is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Good link Jammer.

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #23
Wise Elder
 
Jammer's Avatar
 
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Good link Jammer.

Gene
Thank you, Gene. The writing style in that article should be familiar.
__________________
Jammer is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,558
I don't think it was all harmless, especially just recently.

I do see that a number of recent posts have been deleted.

There were some lines crossed, there were. Take some responsibility here.



Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now  
Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,756
Never posted to the thread but I sure had more than a few laughs reading it.

Sorry the thread got closed too. Be that as it may we're all guests in Andy's Airstream and somebody had to turn down the stereo. Darn party pooper.

Gotta go find that camping in bear country thread...
__________________
I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
AirsDream's Avatar
 
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 914
I woulda' thought that the site team had better things to do, but nothing amazes me any more.

Yup, I thought it was a cute thread and I think I may have contributed a cliche or two myself ... but maybe we're better persons for the censorship. As noted, this is a family forum. Just how we get to have those families without *ex is a mystery to me, however!

But I for one shall strive to ban the offending three letter word from my discourse, and I think I shall simply substitute xxx. So, if I review a campground, I shall note that there are different bathing/toilet facilities for the different xxxes and if I stay at that certain hotel in NYC, I shall refer to it as the Esxxx House. But I am worried about how to deal with topics such as how to protect children from xxx offenders and xxxual predators at campgrounds. I'll figure it out, I'm sure.

Can we still have alcohol and strong alakaloids (such as coffee) at forum rallies? Only time will tell.
__________________
AirsDream is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,417
Blog Entries: 2
I thought the thread was juvenile and added nothing to the airstream family. Goes to show how diverse our airstream family is. Jim
__________________
avionstream is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #28
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
Just how we get to have those families without *ex is a mystery to me, however.
Adoption and cloning are two alternatives...
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.