Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2003, 07:19 PM   #1

1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Donnellson , Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Tinovations Send a message via Yahoo to Tinovations
Cape Hatteras, Nc - Koa

Has anyone ever camped at the Cape Hatteras, NC KOA ? We are thinking of trying it this coming June.

Any opinions? Better options in the area??

We have 2 children, ages 14 and 11 and plan to camp there with another family with young children as well.

Looking forward to your replies and opinions.

Thanks,

Tim
Tinovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 07:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Kewl

Tim,
I havcen't been to this KOA but, I see you're from NC.
It might be worth a day trip over. BTW, I'm from Southern Pines, NC. orginally myself.
You might want to take a look at:
http://www.outer-banks.com/
then go to village directroy..
Under campground, you can take a virtual tour of the KOA location there.
Let me know how you find you're stay there, as I'm only up the road from you in the summer time at our place in Virginia Beach, Va.(actually, it's in Sandbridge, Va., but noone knows where that's at...lol)
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 07:03 PM   #3
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Hatteras KOA

When you find out something about campgrounds in the Outer Banks, please post or email me at [security. email removed by mod.] I want to go there this summer and would love to know the best place to camp.

By the way I live in Charlotte and love camping up here.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:22 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Tim, check is out

Tim, Have you ever been to The Cape Lookout National Seashore(Core Banks)? It is open to the public but it is VERY private and quiet. A small ferry took my niece and I and our 4-wheeler over to Willis's fishing camp. We spent the week-end in one of their cabins. The cabin had hot/cold water,gas stove, but no electricity. But who needs electricity when you can drive up and down the seashore!!! We found some of the biggest sea shells I have ever seen. You know the kind you put up to your ear to hear the sea.The only people their were a few fishermen and the care-takers.They will ferry trucks,campers,atv's. Cape Lookout Lighthouse rules.(It's my favorite lighthouse).
Check out the fishing camp's web site: www.drumwagon.com
They also have links to the Core Banks their.
JayClay
JayClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:14 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Tim,
We have camped at the KOA at Emerale Isle and the Salter Path Family Campground at Atlantic Beach and have enjoyed staying at both places. We love the Beaufort area. We usually go to Myrtle Beach when we beach camp. We have not camped at the outer banks but hope to do so. We will look forward to hearing about your experience. As a side note, there are some very nice state operated camping places on Jordan Lake with large sites, but I am sure you have been there since it is so close.
Wayne
wayner1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:08 PM   #6

Donnellson , Iowa
Decided to book a site at the Hatteras KOA this coming June. Thanks for the input. I promise to post a review of our stay.

The owners of the Hatteras KOA were very pleasant over the phone. They even had a few decent sites available over Father's day weekend.

$52/night seems a bit on the steep side but the amendities appear to be plentiful.

Wayner1239...are you handy with AC? We own a 1955 Overlander which I plan to install a AC unit just prior to our upcoming summer travels.

We're neighbors so to say...we are just up the road in Cary. I'm trying to negotiate a deal with a business that recently closed at the intersection of 64 and Lake Pine in Apex. My hopes are to see if they would be interested in renting out a stall in their building while it sits empty. (assuming the price is right) It sure would be nice to work indoors as i tackle the AC project. Not sure if it will work out but it's worth the try.

Jot me a note if you're interested. My e-mail is within my profile.

Tim
Old 04-09-2003, 08:39 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
We camped for 1 week at "Camp Hatteras" which was next door to a KOA (don't recall if it was the Cape Hatteras KOA). Camp Hatteras was about the same price per night and we thought nicer. It had a great beach and excellent swimmimg pool and club house. It is a beautiful area. See the attached photo.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outrbank.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1932  
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Seasonal rates..

Tim

Quote:
$52/night seems a bit on the steep side but the amendities appear to be plentiful.
I agree it does seems a bit steep but, after looking at their website..I can see why..It's prime location, being that it's on the ocean and, a seasonal campsite. Cost money to operate and maintain~

Can you imagine what it must be like there whenever a 'Major Storm' comes thru??

Looking forward to your report~!
I'm sure you and, the family will have a Grand time~!

BTW, for some years the folks had a cabin at Avon Beach there on the Outer Banks..I might pop down this summer for a day or two just to look the olde place over..
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 09:22 AM   #9
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
North Carolina State Rally

Camp Hatteras is the site of the North Carlolina State Rally in September.

Have you signed up yet??????

We will be there and man am I looking forward to some Outerbanks surf fishing.

Make your reservations early because there are only a limited number of spaces.

Oh! ya gotta be member of the WBCCI

Woa I think I gotta bite, Fish on!!!!!!!!!!

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 09:58 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Hatteras KOA

We picked the Hatteras KOA for our vacation in August.
They apparently have spaces that are beach front.
I would love to know how it is.
Most KOA's are pretty good especially if you have little one's.
Please let us know how you like it.
Thanks-
Sharon Lee
Sharon Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 11:31 AM   #11

Donnellson , Iowa
Our stay at the Hatteras KOA

Here’s my own little review of our stay at the Cape Hatteras, NC Campgrounds.

I had installed AC into our 1955 Overlander just 2 weeks prior to this trip. I have to say if I had not of installed it, we would of sizzled like strips of bacon. We had wonderful weather. HOT with full sun. There isn’t a shade tree on the place, so bring sunscreen.

The wind was amazing. The first couple days were the windiest. Our Airstream doesn’t have an awning which was probably a good thing. The folks around us that had their awnings out had to keep them rolled up most of the time. They don’t allow campfires on the camp sites. But one night the KOA had a bonfire at the beach.

One severe storm passed through, the skies just opened up. Ended up with approximately 5 inches of rain in less than 2 hours. The whole place looked like a lake. Our site was flooded yet drained well within a couple hours. Not so true for about 60% of the campground. The poor tent campers got hit the worst. Even the next day kids were skim boarding the standing water.

We ended up with trailer plumbing problems while we were there. I won’t get into the details, but we had to shut off the water to our trailer due to a major drain line leak. We used the KOA facilities which were very close to our trailer. They were very clean and the shower set up was set up with nice private stalls.

There were plenty of things for the kids to do. One night there was a street dance, DJ and all. We had a great time at the dance. The pools are nice but were very crowded. There’s a pizza place right at the campgrounds. The pizza was pretty darn good too! The kids did tie dyed t-shirts one day for just $5 per child. Nice touch. There were about half a dozen college or high school age KOA workers that were awesome with the kids ! Another nice touch we appreciated very much !

I shore fished almost everyday, I wasn’t so lucky catching anything, but I did witness a woman pulling in a 65# Ray.

There are sites that are right at the dunes. You can’t see the ocean from any of these sites, the dune is huge. There are boardwalks that take you to the beach. The sites closest to the boardwalks have people walking past them all day and night. Just a FYI on that. To the best of my knowledge there are not any sites with ocean views.

People were friendly at the grounds, the turnover on the sites was amazing, campers were coming and going all the time. It didn’t seem as though they did any fluffing or cleaning prior to new campers coming in. A few of the sites could of used a little cleaning.

All in all we had a great time. I do think I would try someplace different next time but we did have a good stay.

Hard to imagine, but we were the only Airstream at this place the whole time we were there.

Take care, enjoy your travels.
Tim