Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Can't buy an Airstream

Ken, in actuality the ads are self deleting based on time. What sellers should do is indicate that the trailer is sold. That unfortunately isn't always done, leading to the stale listings. You will notice that the ads indicate a listed date and the time left for the listing.

I'm sure the reasoning for the lack of an instant deletion feature is the limitations imposed by the software that is used for this section of the forum. Your solution is probably the best that can be done at this time.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
The response rate for the listing on this forum is very low; no idea why.
Perhaps the lister isn't really interested in selling the rig, or they're challenged by the technology, simple as it is; many of the posted photos are sideways or upside down.
vito98103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #23
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
Yes, it's not like much anything else I've ever bought.
You certainly would be hard pressed to want to go camping this week and buy one.

I was looking for a mid to late 50's model less than 20' and after a year or so bought one for too much and am still working on it 1 1/2 years later.

As soon as I bought it I saw two other way better deals...
twolanehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:33 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Nebo , North Carolina
Smile Classifieds

I found several in the classifieds. Called and wanted to look at one with full intention of purchasing it but the seller could not work out a time for me to see it. I got impatient as it was just what I wanted. Price was right, pictures looked great, size 23 ft was what I wanted. Just needed to see it.
The second was a 2015 Flying Cloud 25 FB, 50 miles away. The price was more than I wanted to spend but I wanted to see it if just for my knowledge of the Airstream. The seller was easy and accommodating to work with. I purchased it and now am very happy the first classified did not work out.
Clean, quiet, I love it.
I wish you the good luck I had.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
There are several issues that contribute to the Classifieds experience. Clearly it's not a perfect system, but there are drawbacks to nearly any system, and significantly more drawbacks to most FREE systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Jack,

That brings up another question:

Why can't I delete an add I placed. (If I can I can't figure out how).

I marked it sold, However all my contact information still shows up. I edited it all out piece by piece, but I prefer the add would be gone completely.

Ken
When you mark an ad Sold, the "Contact Seller" dialog goes away but it seems that the phone # field does not get hidden, and I think that should be hidden. I'll bring that up with the site owner and the programmer. We don't recommend including more contact information in the text of the ad rather than in the dedicated fields for it (Phone #, city, etc.)

One reason that ads don't get deleted when you click "Sold" is that it's useful for sold ads to remain visible for buyers to get a feel for the market. Obviously one can't be sure the unit sold for the asking price, but having an idea of what moves to Sold and what stays on the market may be helpful to a buyer. It would be more helpful if sellers more consistently marked the ad Sold when it does sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Were the three Airforums ads from actual active members or from people who signed up just to place an ad? Getting no response is all to common here from non active members. This site has no requirements to post. Because of this we get all kinds of scammers.
We review ads pretty heavily based on a set of criteria that we do not publicize, because knowing the criteria would be useful to scammers. Because we review many of the ads, we're volunteers and we're not a 24x7 shift-oriented moderating team, ads very often get reviewed and approved in batches. The publication time is NOT necessarily the submission time of the ads, and we do watch for things like who the submitters of various ads are. If you feel like you see a scam ad, by all means report it using the "Report this ad" button present on each ad. Please note that it's not really possible for someone to scam you if they're not responding to you, a seller not answering his or her email does not mean they're a scammer, it means they're not a very good seller.

As to requirements that sellers be longer-term participating members of AIRForums, I can tell you that we have many members who've been members for a long time but don't have many posts, and they login fairly regularly and read what others have posted. An arbitrary minimum post limit would be bad for them, just as an example. Also, when I'm in the market to buy something I like to see lots of choices (in vendor, product or both.) I'd prefer to see the units offered by someone who doesn't happen to be an active AIRForums member in addition to units sold by long-time members, and all other things being equal I'd probably be more interested in a trailer owned and maintained by an active AIRForums member but more selection is generally better than less.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
93 21ft Sovereign

I placed an ad in classified here. My phone started ringing immediately and I sold it in 6hrs,sight unseen! Should of upped the price I guess
gramzinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2007 28' International CCD
1999 34' Limited
2009 22' Interstate
Woodbury , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Ditto on this. I scoured Forums Classifieds for a good six months before our "right" AS came along and it ended up only being 40 minutes from home. So if you really want an AS, hang in there.

Dana
Thanks for all the good replies
dickschaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
use allofcraigs and do a search in each part of the county
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #29
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
I found my Excella on Craigslist after a few months of looking. I got a beautiful AS for very little money! Love it! Good luck!!!
Tampatomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Thanks forum manager for running the classifieds. It is a great marketplace!
Old 07-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiss View Post
Thanks forum manager for running the classifieds. It is a great marketplace!
X2! I agree!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
I bought my 2004 Classic 28 off of the Airforums in January 2016. I found that you had to respond quickly as the trailers I wanted seemed to go very fast.

DaveP
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Fresno , California
It's an adventure

Buying an Airstream is and should be an adventure. My wife and I devoted several months in our search. I can definately say this....Our Airstream is well worth the time it took to find it. As far as sellers not replying...Possibly those were just not meant to be.
ldireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:13 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I bought two Airstreams from the AS Classifieds. I contacted both sellers by phone, at least a couple of times. Hang in there and keep watching. This probably isn't something you want to rush into anyway.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
If and when the time comes for us to replace our 69 we'll start to work with the local dealership. If a sales person knows you have money and are a serious buyer they will work with you and many will work to keep you informed believing they will get a quick sale on both ends - the buyer of a newer AS that has a trade in and the buyer on the other end ready to move fast. To make it work you have to be sincere because once you get classified as a "tire kicker" then you are back to square 1. For internet ads the poster above is right - make the phone call immediately. Many people travel and do not check email constantly but most carry cell phones now. Good luck and that new AS is up ahead just around the corner!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:53 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Seriously?

The hand shake and the secret underwear. They are both a must before you get permission to buy one.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #37
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Whidbey Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickschaak View Post
I want to buy a 30 or so AS from 2011 on up. I have tried to contact three members who advertise in our classified section. None of the three replied. I contacted another three on RV Trader and none of those replied. How do I buy an AS. Thanks
I was a Purchasing Professional for 40 years. Here is the inside dope on how to get what you really want: USE THE TELEPHONE. Do not rely on email or text. If they post an ph# call them; and do not delay. And keep calling them until you get a live voice at the other end.

“Is this goin’ to be a standup fight, or another bug hunt?”
- Bill Paxton (Private Hudson in the movie Aliens, 1986)
christopherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:46 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Bought my first AS on the classifieds. They are awesome. Good ones go fast.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:51 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just a reminder, folks...this thread is about how to buy, and sellers not responding and/or updating their ads.

If you have a rig to sell, please do an ad in Classifieds, and do not advertise nor solicit buyers here.

Perhaps send a pm if you feel you have what someone is looking for...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/misc...ork&page=rules

Thanks for your cooperation.

The Site Team
Old 07-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Just a reminder, folks...this thread is about now to buy, and sellers not responding and/or updating their ads.

If you have a rig to sell, please do an ad in Classifieds, and do not advertise or solicit buyers here.

Perhaps send a pm if you feel you have what someone is looking for...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ork&page=rules

Thanks for your cooperation.

The Site Team
I think we also need a thread about now to proofread before posting.

In addition the link returns a "page not found". (at least for me)

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote