Old 05-21-2005, 10:49 PM   #1
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Can we take them away?...

If we see someone mis-using an AS can we vote a majority to take it away from them?

Driving through the bay area today down hwy 880, I saw an early to mid 70's airstream flying down the highway about 70 mph, with the side window halfway open!

I hope it's his first offense or the AS police will be on his tail!

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Seems resonable to me. WHo gets to decide what constitutes abuse?

Maybe we need a anti-abuse squad??

On edit - does not using AS count as abuse? Alerting squad now...

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:23 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Those people who let an AS sit out in a field, unused, through all kinds of weather, and whenever someone asks about it they say "I'm gonna fix it up someday" should be the first offenders we go after!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 01:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Here here ! I agree, I am restoring a previously field bound AS. I can tell you that if it has been sitting the field for more than a year, you have your work cut out for you. That is a #1 offense ! Dollars to doughnuts they will never touch it. I know this from restoring cars and having been in the old car biz, that those types never get to those relics sitting in the field. I have had an eye on a few cars for ten years, approached the owner, said he was gong to restore them, they are still sitting in the same spot now. I contacted him 10 years ago ! What does that tell ya ? hmmmm....
Old 05-22-2005, 07:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I know what Airstream abuse is........
I would love to track down the last owner of my Ambassador and slap him.
THough I know when I am done with mine, it may still have the apperance of abuse. Can I clam there proff of what a Airstream will survive and not get it taken away????
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
"Gonna fix it up!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Those people who let an AS sit out in a field, unused, through all kinds of weather, and whenever someone asks about it they say "I'm gonna fix it up someday" should be the first offenders we go after!
Just last March I spotted a 1961 Caravel (yes, a '61) in Florida. I found the owner and he said, "Oh yeah, we have four of those old Airstreams. We're gonna ...." (and you know the rest).

Meanwhile, the poor Caravel -- one of only two I've ever heard of in this vintage -- sits in a front yard with broken windows and rain running in.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

I have been fortunate enough to be able to save more then a few Airstreams from feilds ditches and uncaring owners, but while I was towing them home to safety someone looking would think perhaps I was abusing them.
They would be wrong, I was bringing them back to Bat Cave to find them a new home.

Richardt
Old 05-22-2005, 08:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Airstream Rescue Organization

Maybe we should start a breed rescue program, I mean an Airstream rescue program. We could find, house, and retrain them, and then set up a network to find new and responsible owners. The adoption process could be quite stringent so we could ensure these people aren't gut and runners.

We too rescued our AS from someone who left their trailer in their drive way for years. "We used it last year..." I guess he had a memory problem too, nothing worked in it, and some of the damage was clearly years old. He too broke the back window (probably left it open while driving). Water was allowed to pour in the bathroom for who knows how long.

Luckily my husband had the sense to knock on the door and ask "thinking about selling that airstream?"
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I've watched a beautiful 1970 Hemi 'Cuda, one of less than a 1,000, sit in a friends garage for 30 years, very few miles on it, and it's covered with garage stuff. He bought it new and cannot bear to part with it and says he's going to freshen it when he retires and enjoy it. See lot's of trailers, and take notice Airstreams in particular, where the same mindset exists. We need a rating card that we can take to these kinds of people and show them where they fit on the scale. Obviously the hemi has gone up in value dramatically and he being the original owner, continues to go over the top, but those trailers sitting out in the field and subject to the elements and even worse, critters, are crying out for someone to come along and give their current paper holders a rude awakening. Sadly, many are owned by older folks who bought them when they were our ages, had many enjoyable times in them, and parting with the trailer is in some ways saying those good times will never happen again. So, if you find one of those, adopt the people. Airstreams are big - take 'em along. Oh sure, they may not want to go, but that's nothing a bit of duct tape and some rope (or do they use large tie wraps now), won't cure until you get them far enough away from their neighbourhood that they will realize the only way they are getting home to little muffin the dog is to be quiet and pretend they are enjoying themselves. Sing old out of tune country and western songs from the 30's (Hank Snow, Cowboy Copus, Boxcar Swilly as some options) around a propane campfire ring, roast them some veggie wieners, give them a couple of tofu marshmallow equivalents (great entertainment later watching them try to peel those off their false teeth), and heck, they'll be glad they got rid of that trailer and change their phone number so you can't ask them to join you the next time. Mind you, I have to say, I'd rather see one going down the road in slightly abused condition than not being used at all......Barry
Old 05-22-2005, 11:58 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Owings Mills , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
Just last March I spotted a 1961 Caravel (yes, a '61) in Florida.
A '61 Caravel? One of Gertrude's siblings being abused. Oh man, I would love to meet another one.

Kaye
Old 05-22-2005, 12:06 PM   #11
Site Team

, Minnesota
I'm gonna build a big fence around my 'project' to keep you guys from doing an rescue/intervention.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Intervention would only be needed by those people who have families who believe the aluminum addiction has gone to far. That would be under the Airstreamwidowsforum.com.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Seacoast , New England
Cool Safari 57 you slay me

Had a good chuckle from your post. But you are right; too many great cars and airstreams langushing in yards, fields, and yes even garages (can't imagine having that luxury). The treatment that you perscribe seems to be right on the mark -

Barb