Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #1

Cave Creek , Arizona
Can a Saturn Vue tow a Bambi Sport?

Can I pull an Airstream Bambi Sport with my 2009 Saturn Vue? I have some mixed research info, and want to be clear on if this is a viable option. I hope!

Does anyone out there own this vehicle, and tow a Bambi?

It is a 3.6 L, towing Capacity: 3500 lbs (SUV avg: 3179)

Thanks for any feedback!
sylviafugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
What's the tongue weight rating on the Vue?

I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't tow anything with a front wheel drive vehicle (actually wouldn't own one, but that's another issue).

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Vue is a light, front wheel drive, short wheelbase car. Probably not a good idea to tow your Bambi with it. Could be trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Can you, yes
Should you, doubtful

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:04 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
niceville , Florida
Short answer

No, that is makes no sense and is a danger to you and others.
kapt59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
I think it's a little like a conversation I heard at the AS dealership in Pasadena, CA a few years ago. The dealership had a shiny brand new Bambi in the showroom and a couple was admiring it. They asked a sales rep if the could tow it with their Subaru - and to his credit he honestly answered "sure you can, once". I'm frankly not sure I'd even tow a small pop up with a Saturn, a Honda Accord, or a Toyota Camry for that matter. The Saturn cars were great for transportation and value but it did not seem they were built to be tow vehicles.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
You might be good for towing around a parking lot on a dry and sunny day. Consider the elements, mountain passes, 80mph tractor trailers, snow, sudden stops, avoiding a deer and the list goes on. I now use a V10 twin turbo TDI, 6,000 lb VW Touareg to pull our 67 Caravel. I did tow it from the Bay Area to Aspen over a few mountain passes with our Mitz Montereo 4 x 4. I also spent 25 years racing sports cars. I have some idea of car control but after a few lurid moments with the Montereo, one quickly learns how fast everything can go pear shaped when towing. Also the stress level is much higher using a vehicle that is not suitable. My guess that the rear brakes on the VUE are drums as well.
Save yourself, your family and others and don't even think about it
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Just a couple of days ago one response in another thread caught my eye. Some wise man among us stated (correctly...although the exact language escapes me) "yes, it can pull it....but can it stop it". I think this bit of wisdom applies here as well. Safe travels. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
These questions remind me of the time when we rented pop up campers and the people would show up with a U-Haul hitch attached to a Ford Fiesta. Remember the picture of the guy riding a bike pulling an Airstream, sure he could pull it but I bet he bailed off when it came time to stop.
Your answer to the Saturn, yes by all means you can tow your Bambi. No, you cannot stop your Bambi.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #10
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
There is a lot of negativity on this thread. Here is a counterpoint.

Firstly, I don't know specifically about a Saturn Vue. I do see that it has a 3500 lb tow rating, and by the specs, close to 1000 lbs of payload available. Your specific vehicle may be different due to installed options, and whether it is FWD or AWD. Check your door sticker.

I currently have a small sport utility vehicle (same size as the Vue). It is rated to tow 3500 lbs. It does so very well, in my experience. I have towed various trailers, but have not used weight distribution equipment on it. You would have a further advantage of having WD equipment. I wouldn't tow much more than that rating with it.

The Vue has a short wheelbase, but also a very short rear overhang, the distance from the rear axle to the hitch. That helps a lot.

You are in Arizona. I am not clear whether you plan to tow in the mountains. If so, you will likely be slowing down from flat land speeds. You do have around 260 hp, same as my vehicle, and mine does OK through the Canadian Rockies.

By Bambi, I presume you mean the 16 foot. The longer Sport models are heavier.

With 1000 lbs of payload capacity, and 350 published tongue weight (plus a margin for trailer load impacting the tongue weight) you will have to be aware of and manage how much you carry in the Vue. If it is a full car load of people plus luggage, that will be a challenge. If it is two people and light luggage, it seems doable to me.

The correct set up of your hitch and trailer is critical. That matters as much as what you choose to tow with, IMO.

The expert on towing with smaller vehicles is Andy at CanAm in Ontario. Give him a call and ask his opinion. He can advise on the suitability of the vehicle, and on which hitch he would recommend.

I wouldn't throw out the idea of the Vue just because it isn't a large vehicle. I would consider it, recognizing the limitations in payload and in choice of which Airstream you can tow.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
We purchased our first 16' Airstream partly because it was within the specs for our Honda Pilot. It was rated at 3500 lbs as well. Not once did it seem scary towing up and down the Sierras. It was quite slow up the long steep grades, mostly due to the transmission, I just tried not to be in too much of a hurry.

I'm not sure of your vehicle's specifics, but I never felt like I was endangering anyone by towing a 3000 lb trailer with its own brakes. If the trailer brakes failed, I think the pilot would have stopped it better than our current F150 could stop our 25' FC.

We did upgrade both the trailer and tow vehicle, but I'm glad we dipped our toes in the water before diving in.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Indianapolis , Indiana
Jeff's answer sounds very good!
Jim Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #13
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
+1 on Can-Am RV

I don't know the answer but I bet Andy Thompson at Can-Am RV will know the answer. He can be reached via Air Forums as Andrew_T

The Can-Am web site is http://www.canamrv.ca/

I test drove a Ford Taurus, pulling a 30 ft. Airstream and it was amazing how well it handled. I realize the Taurus and Vue are likely very different vehicles but wanted you to realize there are real world people out there towing with what some would consider odd/unusual tow vehicles.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Yes it can.

I have a 2009 with the same size engine and it works fine with a similar sized trailer. Never had a problem except once going over 65 mph with a couple of bicycles attached. Did fine once I slowed down to 55.

You have to balance your budget with capabilities. Just be cool and don't push it. I doubt you are the fool some imply. You would be more of a fool sinking a bunch of money into some unnecessary huge expensive vehicle that is difficult to park and not much fun to deal with when you are not towing - if you can get by with what you have.

See if you can check it out before you part with the money.
Paultower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Paultower, welcome. What is your trailer?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #16

Cave Creek , Arizona
Wow, Thank you all for the replies, and input. And Yes, I am trying to do some research before I take the dive. I can certainly travel light, with just me or another, and my 5 pound dog. I will contact Can am. I have been reading about a break system for the hitch, which I think would be a smart idea. According to the airstream local dealer, I should be ok, but then again they want to sell me an airstream, and may not care if I use a motorcycle to drive off with it. So I continue my research on what to do, and from the people like you who would know! Thank you!
Old 12-14-2016, 08:33 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Old truck driver

Yes, 74 and I started driving a truck at the age of 6. I did not drive a rig as good as you are talking about until I was about 30 and I never had any trouble with any of them if you do not count going up hills slow.

The key is to adapt to what you have and do the best you can with it. You will have to take steep grades (over 5%) at about 50. You will want to watch the forcast for 50 mile per hour winds. In a bad side wind you will want to slow down a little. Do not put any more weight in the trailer than you need. This is a good rule for all of us.

Go for it, my fellow Airstreamers are spoiled.

Good Luck
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #18

Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Paultower, welcome. What is your trailer?
I dont have one yet, I want a Bambi Sport 16' Trying to assess the tow vehicle needed.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

We have one of the Bambi 16ft Quick Silvers. It like the 16ft Sport mentioned here has a dry weight of 2860 lbs. mis your prospective Bambi Sport has A/C, awning, spare tire, TV added to it, that's additional weight you will need to add to base weight, which airstream brochures are notoriously lacking
With full water (23 gallons), full LP, dishes for two, and bedding, our Bambi sitting on a scale with both tires and front Jack weighs 3460 lbs
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
After reading all the post and my earlier post, I have to agree with "over towing"
Yes, I now tow with a V10 VW TDI, and I no longer tow with my Mitsubishi Montereo, which got us thousands of miles. But with 300k on the clock it was time to consider something else I was thinking more of something breaking i.e.: suspension parts etc. I don't think the solution is a F150 for a small Bambi. This to me is over kill, too much truck for the the job unless you happen to use it for work or just have to have one etc.
When looking at vintage pics of cars towing AS's you see everything from Ford Falcons to Thunderbirds. The Road Chief promotes towing with a Saab convertible.
IMHO regardless of what you tow with you should practice leaning the limits of your tow vehicle with your trailer. Find a big parking lot and experiment with locking up the brakes.
Does you tow vehicle stop in a straight line? Just lean the thresholds and drive accordingly.

Porsche Cayenne has an interesting video of hauling a trailer thru a slalom course that can be seen on Youtube
Also if you boondock or find small campsites, the smaller your trailer and tow vehicle the better off you are.
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote