Old 08-25-2006, 10:42 PM   #43
Rivet Master
1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Ok, I admit I'm totally spoiled now after having had our Safari for 20 years!..I was city raised, I thought 'camping' was everything related to being a Camp Fire Girl in my teen years!..that nice supervised outings w/the leader and 12 other girls, sleeping in our sleeping bags, finding bits of kinkdling to make a campfire so that we could toast hot dogs and make s'mores..that's my recollection of 'camping'..

Fast forward to the 70's when I married and learned what 'camping' was all about w/my husband and later w/the kids..we 'camped' or slept: in the back of our old '74 pick up..then after getting tired of that old song, graduated to a Sears hillary tent built for 6, carrying around my little porta potty I got from Best Products (they're no longer in business), I felt I was rich to own that, instead of having to use those awful out-houses. And when we took our trip all the way north to Washington, Oregon and British Columbia, we put up, took down, put up, took down that tent that got wetter and wetter as the week went by due to all that rain!..then we gave that up and started renting little cabins, cool w/fireplaces, kitchenettes and bathrooms..but not really 'camping'..

Then finally, our luck changed for the better, no make that the best..the in-laws gave us their -64 Safari, (they moved up to a Overlander) and no way now 20 years today would I go back to tent camping and the porta potty!..give me my built in toilet, refrig, shower, stove and oven, microwave, firm mattress, storage space, dinette and all the other comforts of home, now that's my idea of 'camping'.

And the best part of it all, I can honestly say no one yet has ever come up to me and given me any negative comments about our 'camping' in an Airstream trailer..they all instead, want to come inside and see it all for themselves...we've met so many who say they want to get and Airstream too..we get notes left on our doors frequently from people who will leave their name and phone number and say they'd like to buy it from us and ask what the price is! I call that a compliment to our way of camping!

codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:33 AM   #44
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i have had a few folks who have commented "this sure isn't camping!" after seeing our trailer.

to them i always say "we do not camp like heathens!" at that point i always show off the doorbell!

you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:56 AM   #45
Rivet Master
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Cool thread folks. I've been there, done that, and have the bug bites, sore back, wet tent to prove it.
I use my AS daily and customers often comment about the size of it compared to the Bornefree and Mobile Concepts that my comtemoraries use.
I point out that I rarely need a motel. Keep my overhead low by using the YMCA and Wal-Mart when out on the road.
Then I tell 'em what I paid for it and the 30-40 grand I saved by buying Airstream One.
Oh, we do use it from time to time to camp while out on bicycle rides.
I do still like to use open fire to cook. I only travel with a roll of tin foil, no pot/pans. Of course when push comes to shove I also have the microwave... and my own washroom.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:57 AM   #46
Rivet Master
2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I haven't had too many people ridicule me for having an Airtstream. But I must be a good salesman for the travel/camping trailer lifestyle. I can account for encouraging some of my co-workers in buying their RVs such as an A-liner Pop-Up, Chalet Pop-Up, a used Winnebago motorhome and a Fleetwood Wilderness travel trailer. These folks have families and were looking for the same things my family was: an inexpensive and convienent way to travel and camp in places closer to nature or attactions. For that, I glad my enthusiasm is contageous!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:22 PM   #47
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Wink Airstreaming...

... is what I do. Actually, I believe what I do now is closer to traveling, on my own terms. I've done a lot of camping as a Boy Scout. As a hitchhiker in the seventies, I traveled across most of the USA with everything I owned in a backpack, sleeping in the woods, up trees, under a canpoy of mangroves on the beaches in Florida, on the roof of a barn in the Dismal Swamp to escape the mosquitoes, etc. After that, tent camping was a luxury.

Today, I travel with GPS, computer, internet access, cell phone, and satellite TV because I like it, and have no need to "get away from it all". If I there's a sudden urge to commune with nature, I can do that without leaving home. I live in the middle of the woods by a stream on a large tract of land.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:57 PM   #48
Round on both ends
1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
I make my living by having internet access. I've also lived in Airstreams since 1992.

Now life has decided that I'm needed at home, and I have a house, an office that's coming along, and I'll be separating living/work from camping.

Except for some activities with the Civil Air Patrol some years ago, I've never been much of a camper. I used to joke that I yearned for those air-conditioned expanses...

Lately I've adopted the idea that "it's just camping," but that's just for organized events.

And here I am. The house is close, but I'm sitting in the Airstream in the wee hours of a Saturday night.

This is not exactly camping, but it's what I'm used to, and it's still what I prefer. Is it camping? Not by a stretch, but is PRIVATE SPACE that's mine alone, and it's shelter, comfort, quiet, and peace. It's my safe harbor.

If anybody told me that Airstreaming is not "real camping," I'd have to ask them to define their terms, and then I'd probably agree with them.

1975 Argosy 28 "Argosy"
1979 Excella 500 31 "Betsy"
1992 Lincoln Mk 7 LSC
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote