Old 08-25-2006, 02:02 PM   #29
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
I not only camp in my A/S but we ROUGH IT!! No microwave, Satelite or Television. Look, I like most of you started with a tent and progressed up to an A/S. Now we can stop enroute and sleep and in the morning after coffee and a shower just lock the door and continue on. I prefer to travel as opposed to camp and as such what better way to go? When I get those comments I just smile and say. "Comfort is the key to happiness. I'm happy and I'm glad you are too."

The thing that makes me laugh out loud is the "You must be a millionaire." I guess thats true cause my real name is Goincampin Rockefeller. Like most folks the Mrs. and I work full time and made a decision on what we wanted to do for fun and campin is it. So you plan your budget to be able to camp as best you can. So fellow non camping millionaires lets continue to enjoy.

I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #30
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637

I guess everyone gets this saying.I am glad I Have an Airstream and I am lucky that hard work finally paid off for me to get one.I love this thing and it does not matter what other people think.All I know is I can go many more times over to places out of town to go visit someplace and they can spend a whole lot more in one week than I would in the four months that we travel in the winter.I dont tell them that of course.I just shrug it off and tend to my own.
Now I do have to say though...I do get alot more positive feedback from people way more than I get negative ones.It is a great feeling owning one these things.

It just cant get any better than that.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:19 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot

It's really kinda self-evident.

There are degrees of "camping".

Obviously ....

... camping with an Airstream can only be described as "professional" camping (who could disagree??)

... those without an Airstream are those who aspire to be "professionals" - but - unfortunately - as amateurs - they can only lash out at what they haven't yet achieved.

The day they acquire their own Airstream they will realize that they are finally able to understand the true meaning of camping "nirvana".

What else is there to say????

Bambi - 2002 (The Toaster)
Pathfinder - 2009 (The Buggy)

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:55 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member
2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Take a moment...................
Clear your mind.........................................
Think back to your tent camping days.......... ah that was fun.....wasn't it?
It gets you out there in nature with Gods Creations......
Now ask yourself a question...........
When was the last time you tent camped and some perfect stranger came up to you with a ST eatin' grin and said.. OH MY GOD that is really cool tent I just love your tent?
My 9x9 Coleman sure never got that reaction..
But I didn't buy an Airstream because it's an American Icon that's just a perk.....
Camping in an Airstream is a road trip with my second home... It's my TIN CABIN just like my license plate says.
I bought a new home.
For some it's their primary residences others it's their second or third residences. Find another trailer that you can call home in 30 years how about 50? Sounds like a home to me..... Whatever it may be for you, is up to you, but all I know is it's Friday and I love my Airstream as much as I did on Thursday.
Stream On..............
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:18 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
We have only been "camping" in 3 places where there are motels and hotels.
1. Ohio State Fairgrounds, Columbus
2. Florida State Fairgrounds, Tampa
3. Disney, Orlando

Nice thing about the fairgrounds, was we were "right there", walking distance to the events (horse shows). Didn't have to buy expensive, crappy "fair food".
There were many nice things about Fort Wilderness, like the bus picking you up almost right in front of the campsite. The best part was an almost empty campground in late September!
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #34
AIR #8691
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
I may call it ‘camping’ when I’m with Airstreamers. But don’t initiate talk about my Airstream adventures in conversations with others. If I do mention it, I use other terms to describe what we do. Such as visiting National & State parks, RV Campgrounds and touring the country.

I’ve done enough backpacking, tent camping, canoe & kayak trips so I don’t have to justify my current traveling style. After so many years, I don’t feel any guilt about how I spend my money, my time and my latest mode of self-indulgence. Who knows how much healthy time we have left? Why a need to compare and compete? Saying like: “Boys and their toys” and “He who dies with the most toys wins” are silly unless someone really needs to fill those voids.

Besides, my wife wouldn’t “camp” with me any more if we still used our tents. And we need each other, we have developed a new ‘division of labor’ that enables us to travel in harmony and enjoy this new Chapter in Life: The Airstream Experiences.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
We just came back from a quick jaunt to the Indiana Dunes State Park for a night of camping. I've heard ridicule about what I call camping ever since I bought our first pop-up. I feel great satisfaction that I don't have to sleep on the ground anymore & just say that I like pulling my cottage behind me! Anyhow, I'm sure the guy who ditched his tent next to us after a torrential storm wished he did my kind of camping! And, what else would people call an adventure where you beat off racoons around the campfire (really, we did!). I don't really care what anybody else thinks about my kind of fun!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:34 PM   #36
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
"...When was the last time you tent camped and some perfect stranger came up to you with a ST eatin' grin and said.. OH MY GOD that is really cool tent I just love your tent?..."
AZstreaming, we began our camping years ago with an OLD HEAVY canvas Sears tent bought from a want ad: sun-faded turquoise blue, huge 12X12 tall interior, with the most marvelous canopy edged with scallops. When set up, and it took a while for set up, Old Blue looked for all the world like a troubador's tent from the days of the Knights of Old! We were always amazed at the people who passed by in camp and stopped to rave and compliment our old cast off! Really, much like people do today with our Airstream. Old Blue was out of date but he had a flair and style that none of the more contemporary highly-regarded lightweight tents had-- just as Gypsy carries an attitude and charisma that few of the SOB's seem to have. When Old Blue had finally been patched and sewn up by heavy-duty sewers and ducttaped one time too many, we wrapped him up with all his poles and stakes, and set him out on the sidewalk with a note during our city's spring clean up sidewalk pickup days. To our delight, we saw a pickup full of kids and parents stop by, read the note, gather up all Old Blue's parts and carry him off, I'll always believe to another round of family "camping." It's been awhile, but time was, yes, we had people stopping by to compliment our tent! ~G Thanks for reawakening these fun old memories
1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:01 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member
1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Isn't it great to have so many "camping" choices and better yet, not having to justify to anyone why you've made it? I love this country!!

Happy Camping,
(no matter if you're sleeping under the stars among pines or your bed is in an air conditioned foil tube .......... complete w/a toilet)

sue and ike
'75 Tradewind - 25'
"Cupcake" air-912
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:09 PM   #38
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
All that "not really camping" crap ceased fast when a severe thunderstorm sprang up, and there were 20 people in our trailer, watching their tents blow away. Suddenly it seemed pretty cool to have something between you and the elements!
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:13 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Originally Posted by overlander63
All that "not really camping" crap ceased fast when a severe thunderstorm sprang up, and there were 20 people in our trailer, watching their tents blow away. Suddenly it seemed pretty cool to have somthing between you and the elements!

Good point Terry.I laughed out loud when I read your response .

Soooo true.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:39 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Yep, I can smile and remember when wife, two daughters, the Dog and I were camping in our borrowed tent in the Mosel valley and lying in that tent watching the lightning flash and listening to the water trickle through....

Wouldn't trade those memories for anything.
Fast forward 36 years ... Now it's good to listen to the thunder roll and the drops on the metal roof.
It's all camping.
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:51 PM   #41
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
The joys of camping...

Well, we have gone through the whole gamit as well... no need repeating any of that. The one camping "experience" I haven't seen is camping from an airplane. We used to have a 4 seater plane. One of my "fondest" camping memories was the time we flew from central California to Vancouver, British Columbia for the World's Fair in 1986 (I think it was...). Camping from an airplane is often more spartan than backpacking... severe weight limits. Camping at the airports is unique as well. Food preparation is next to nil, it is either granola bars or walk to a restaurant. Anyway, the ground was hard, we all had lack of sleep, and restrooms were often closed at 10:00 p.m. until the next work day. Oh, I forgot to mention we were traveling with our son, who was almost 5 at the time.... I was the quintessential not so happy camper.

On another note, we have never had anyone tell us we have too many creature comforts. But we probably look like geriatric hippies... so maybe folks are uncomfortable approaching us with that concept...

I agree wholeheartedly with Azflycaster, camping out in the forest is a HUGE difference from camping at one of those cement RV parks. However, as we age our needs and requirements do change....

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:19 PM   #42
1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Yes I like having my microwave, yes camping ,ha,ha!!!
It doesn't matter what you call what we are doing (camping)!!!
The point is!!!!!! Are we having fun!!!!! That's it.

william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote