Old 08-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #15
Riviting Espresso

1978 25' Caravanner
Boca Raton , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ColdEspresso Send a message via Yahoo to ColdEspresso
Spending the night at a campsite is camping. Boondocking with an RV is still camping. I think that some of the purists confuse backpacking with camping. Before I had an AS I used to tent camp and the purests used to argue about who had the lighter gear. When I backpack, I carry my house, cooking supplies, provisions, & bed with me. Most of the time I travel in the AS and backpack into the wilderness to places that an RV cannot get to. So, I can really cover more ground and stretch the time I spend in nature by using the AS as a hub and packing into the woods for a day or so. Fact is ...camping is camping...

1978 Caravanner
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71
2009 VW Sportwagen TDi
Rancilio Espresso Machine w/ Rocky Grinder
ColdEspresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Devo---I think we've all heard these things over the years. There seems to be a tendency to criticize those who have different taste than we do. At the same time there is the tendency to be offended when this ocures.
Personally I do not defend or make excuses for what I have or the way in which I use it. My wife and I worked hard for what we have and don't owe an explaination. Have found my best responce seems to be just a smile.
pieman

Old 08-25-2006, 10:09 AM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We hear the same thing, "that ain't campin". In the past, I have done a lot of tent camping. It afforded me the opportunity to become close to our four sons. As grown men, they still talk of those camping trips. The boys and I would pile into Elsie, our '81 Toyoto Land Cruiser FJ-40 (new at the time), load her up with camping gear and head out cross country. We had to use a roof basket and a Tuck folding utility trailer to carry all of our gear. Those were great times, and I remember them fondly. There were many pop-ups and travel trailers then. I remember thinking that they were pretty neat, but I didn't want one because you couldn't take one to the remote mountain campsites.

Jump ahead twenty-five years. I still enjoy the camping experience. I also enjoy a real queen size bed and Wifi Internet. What more can you ask for, all the comforts of home in the middle of the great outdoors. Yes, I do call it camping despite what others may think or say. They can have their opinion and I can have mine.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #18
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEspresso
Spending the night at a campsite is camping. Boondocking with an RV is still camping. I think that some of the purists confuse backpacking with camping. Before I had an AS I used to tent camp and the purests used to argue about who had the lighter gear. When I backpack, I carry my house, cooking supplies, provisions, & bed with me. Most of the time I travel in the AS and backpack into the wilderness to places that an RV cannot get to. So, I can really cover more ground and stretch the time I spend in nature by using the AS as a hub and packing into the woods for a day or so. Fact is ...camping is camping...
Same here! And it is always great to get back to a good nights sleep at "basecamp"!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:52 AM   #19
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Devoman.

The whole reason to do what you are doing is to get away from the people that you just described.

You could swing it the other way around saying that if you stay in a hotel/motel, you miss opportunities to bond with friends and family; watching a sunset, and so on.

Actually, don't bother explaining anything. They won't understand no matter what.

Just enjoy yourself. Enjoy life. Be happy. Screw everyone else....

Best wishes.

Jonathan

PS- Still have not bought a new tow V due to no money. Still wishing though...
Old 08-25-2006, 10:56 AM   #20
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Some of our best friends gave us some ribbing about "camping" in our Airstream. Last summer we all went to Lincoln Lake together, they brought their tent and setup in our RV spot.

By breakfast they were saying things like "maybe we could get one"...and..."how much are they?"
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:58 AM   #21

Currently Looking...
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Same here! And it is always great to get back to a good nights sleep at "basecamp"!
Yes! My wife and I were back packers for years and just started "streamin" this summer. We plan on using "Blimpy" as a base camp for more backpacking in the future, but right now, we're luxuriating in the wonders of our "shiny tent."
Old 08-25-2006, 12:01 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Wentworth , South Dakota
I have to correct my wife every time she refers to the A/S as a camper I remind her that it's a travel trailer. I travel I don't camp !
Old 08-25-2006, 12:06 PM   #23
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Devo---I think we've all heard these things over the years. There seems to be a tendency to criticize those who have different taste than we do. At the same time there is the tendency to be offended when this ocures.
Personally I do not defend or make excuses for what I have or the way in which I use it. My wife and I worked hard for what we have and don't owe an explaination. Have found my best responce seems to be just a smile.
pieman
These are probably the same people that don't understand SUV's either!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:27 PM   #24
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Last year, we were "camping" at a state park on the Oregon coast. A guy walked up as I was sitting outside my Safari, and said, "You know, I feel really bad for you. You don't know the joys of true camping." I kinda smiled and wondered what he was up to, and then he followed that statement with, "I'm here to offer to help. We will be glad to trade you our tent, and we'll sleep in your Airstream - just for a couple of nights - so you can get the experience." I told him that several years of tent camping was the reason for the Airstream in front of him, and I would have to reluctantly decline his very kind offer. He laughed and wished me a good day.

I agree with Mike Lewis - the best response is a smile.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We have come up through the rungs from inexpensive pup tents and a dome tent with a cooler, sterno and a mess kit and flashlights as an economical way to vacation with 2 children and do the activities we enjoy which is getting out in natural surroundings. We only packed from the car to site at most, but perhaps someday we may take a proper backpacking trip. Or not. While I may do a trip that is professionally led and outfitted it would not be something I anticipate gravitating to for the majority of my free time. Yet the places you could get to and the experiences to be had would be like none other and I would love to be in that solitary place and be self propelled and taste the hardships and thrills of survival (once?)

We have watched people drive up with a truck full of gear, laboriously unload and set-up camp and then watch them in the morning strike camp. I like that we don't need to do those steps, just shut the door and start a day trip, hike or bicycle ride. If we travel far we have shelter along the way. That is why I love our Airstream. Use it as home base, travel cities and stop at the luxury rv parks and get out of the crowded rows and partake of the park's amenities or sight see, or park in the woods like Azflycaster's first picture (which would be our preference too.) I like having the private suite and extra space for family visits also or a place to just sit and get away at home or pull the awning and have our own on site cabana.

I don't know what you call it, camping, traveling, rving, but whatever it is I love it and you are free to spend your time as deliberately as you care to or free from chores entirely or elaborately festoon your site. It's all fun to me. And I love the diversity of the people we find around us.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:53 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
For me it's camping

We've done the tent thing. Tried to sleep with crawling/flying pests, heat, humidity, sand/grit in everything. It was an adventure when I was younger. Now, I wouldn't think of it.

Hotels, why bother. Last sumer we were out for six weeks. We drove over 5,000 miles and saw some beautiful sights. The whole trip averaged just under $150 a day. We did everything we wanted to. Just a decent hotel would have run us a good $100+ per night. Then they probably would have refused us because of pet restrictions.

Give me my Airstream, and I can go just about where ever I want to. Plus I can sleep in my own bed. If I wan to rough it, I'll disconnect the satellite - until my precious encourages me to turn it back on.

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Hike Your Own Hike

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite posts on the forums so I'm going to link it here: http://www.airforums.com/forum...36-post24.html

Gadgetat says it all. Camping, the outdoor experience, travel and seeing different parts of the continent, all the things we're looking for can all be found by different people in different ways. Doesn't matter what it's called or whether you're using a puptent or a 34 foot Airstream. "Hike your own hike"

Thanks again for your story, gadgetat.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
The Night o' Elvis that did it for me

Once upon a time I did some pretty serious backpacking in the Gila and Pecos Wilderness areas here in New Mexico. Forty pound pack, 10 days 60 t0 80 miles, freeze-dried slop, sleeping on the ground. Yeah, I saw some gorgeous remote country. We even took my 8 and 10 year old on one particularly memorable trip that they both agree defined their character forever in terms of being able to do anything.

Then, an unexpected third child and the switch was to car camping with the back packing tent when the older kids were teenagers. On one trip to Colorado we found a great remote campground with only one other car. We camped in the opposite end of the campground. There was the whole hassle of breaking out the Coleman stove setting up the tent etc. Then it started to dump buckets and we were forced into the tiny Northface Dragonfly backpacking tent with a whiny three year-old. The other campers obviously felt we needed some entertainment and cranked up their car stereo blasting, literally EVERYTHING Elvis ever did. We went through the do-wop, the country, the gospel, the Hawaiian...EVERYTHING for hours on end. That's it, I decided: 'it's trailer time.' I fell in love with an Airstream around the corner from my parents' house, but the price of all the used Airstreams I found was out of the question so it was a 1976 Layton. Great times in old "Lizzie". And now quess what? The Airstream I'd lusted for 17 years--it's mine.

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote