Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2002, 04:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Campground restrictions

We have 1978 AS and has anyone experinced and restrictions on accepting the older units????????
Ira Iburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 05:57 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Ira,

I also have a 78 Excella. I haven't actually had it anywhere yet, but I did call around to a few places. What I found is they don't car about the age of the unit, just the size. When I told them I had a 31' a few said they didn't accept units that large.

Craig
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 09:10 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have read posts on other forums regarding some of the Campgrounds that restrict to under 10 years old. The main reason is due to the image that the 10-20 year old SOB have of looking somewhat beat. What I have heard may people with vintage units do is pull in and ask to check in, once they see that you are towing an airstream and it looks fine they do not even think twice. A word of advice, don't ask if they have a restriction and if they ask how old your unit is just say " it is an Airstream, but if it does not meet with your approval we will find another park" most campground operators will be fine with that.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 01:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Campground Restrictions

I have found a number of campgrounds near metropolitan centers that try to restrict age of RVs that they accept. I suspect that at least a part of this limitation is the lack of gray water tanks on older rigs and the other part is likely image maintenance. If asked, I indicate that my Airstream is a 1964 - - but only if I am asked. When staying at one of these restricted campgrounds, I always try to have full-hookups so as not to draw attention to the fact that my rig doesn't have a gray water tank. In one such campground, they didn't have sewer connections at any of their sites so I had to use my blue tank for gray water - - the owner noticed this, but knew Airstreams and said that he knew my trailer was at least 30 years old when he registered me but that it was so well kept that he was happy to have it in his campground. I am just wondering whether I might have more trouble with my '78 Argosy and '75 Cadillac combination - - I am hoping to make my first trip with that combination next summer.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 12:00 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Campground Restrictions
he knew my trailer was at least 30 years old when he registered me but that it was so well kept that he was happy to have it in his campground. I am just wondering whether I might have more trouble with my '78 Argosy and '75 Cadillac combination - - I am hoping to make my first trip with that combination next summer.

WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (Towcar-in-Training)

Kevin, now that it is August, I was wondering if you had any problems with campgrounds not letting you in because of the age of your rig.
We have been out weekly since we got ours, and the only problem we have had seems to be getting too much attention from the other campers like, what kind of trailer is that? where did you get it? do they still make them? it is so cute! can we buy yours? etc...
Terry
(in Florida)
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 03:01 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Campground restrictions

Greetings Terry!

My Argosy has made all but one of my trips this Summer. It wasn't ready in time for the first Rally of the season, but it has been to each of the later events. So far, its age hasn't been questioned; but its parentage as an Airstream product has been. I stayed at a private campground that offered WBCCI discount (it wasn't an Airstream only campground, just a privately owned campground that offers a WBCCI discount). When I pointed out the badge on the side of the coach that had Argosy by Airstream imprinted, there was no problem and the discount was applied.

My Cadillac has been out of circulation all Summer with wheel problems - - the factory steel wheels are so easily bent by scrubbing a curb or similar obstruction that none were true enough to be properly balanced when I had new tires installed. Thought that new aftermarket wheels might be the solution but with a nearly 4" positive off-set none of the currently available wheels would work - - a set of custom wheels are now on order with delivery slated for September 3 - - so it will get its first major use towing to the International Rally in Lansing, MI. I am still suspicious that the combination of a Vintage tow vehcile and a Vintage trailer may pose more potential 10/15 year rule problems than the Suburban/Minuet combination.

I will be leaving the first of this week for the Rocky Mountain VAC Rally in LaVeta, CO. Will likely be on the road at least two and possibly three nights so it will be interesting to see if any problems develop along my route.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 08-03-2003, 03:40 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Fuel Sponge

Kevin, having owned a 1973 Toronado way back when, allow me to express my sympathy in advance for your fuel bills. Mine got such horrible gas milage, I almost had to measure it in Gallons-per-mile.
Hopefully your 8.2 Liter will have a better horsepower-to-weight ratio, and do better.
By all means, let us know how it goes, I am planning a fall vacation in the mountains (hills?) of Tennessee with my new tow vehicle, and Argosy. The Ranger just wouldn't cut it, as far as moving at anything close to highway speeds. An overpass would drop my top speed from 58mph to 45. I bought a Dakota with a 5.2, it is MUCH better towing the trailer, although it still seems like I am dragging a box of anchors behind me.
Happy Argosy-ing!
Terry
(in Florida)
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 04:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Campground restrictions

Greetings Terry!

My Cadillac also had fuel economy problems when I first purchased it, but my mechanic quickly solved them. Went from 8 MPG solo highway to 14 MPG solo highway (mostly tuneup items and a careful carburetor rebuild). The Cadillac has only seen one towing trip thus far - - 200 miles with the '64 Overlander (nearly maxes out its trailer tow limit) and the fuel economy dropped to 8.75 MPG. I am hoping for about 10 MPG with the Minuet. I also learned the importance of proper adjustment of my Reese hitch on that trip - - it rained and when I stopped for fuel the exit ramp had an uphill slope to the highway and I had to make a left turn uphill - - the front wheels lost traction and spun as we were about 3/4 through the turn - - the spring bars needed to be cinched up one more link to transfer more weight to front wheels for better traction.

Kevin
AIR #827