Old 10-23-2003, 07:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1970 27' Overlander
Braxton , Mississippi
Campground Rates, A Little Pricey?

We recently visited St. Francisville, La. to take in some of the historical sites in that area. There is one campground there, and we checked in, $18 a nite was OK, but they charged me $5 for each kid. The place was nothing to brag about, unlevel, gravel pads. I probably could have stayed at the Motel 6 for the same price, maybe next time the walmart parking lot.

TOM CRUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 07:54 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
That seems to be the going thing, we try to avoid that situation, my kids don't travel with me much anymore But I really believe it is an unfair practice. I wonder if they would charge extra if 4 adults all came in one RV?

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 02:38 PM   #3
The Painted Pig
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
It really is a shame. The Corps or Engineers and the State park campgrounds seem to be cheaper to me and this is where we often go. We have two kids and don't get socked with a "kid penalty" at those.

Regardless, of cost I avoid private campgrounds anyway, just because of past experiences.

Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 02:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Some are, some aren't. One place we visited was $29+$5 air conditioner+$5 dump fee!! Another $21+$1 airconditioner fee. Then there is good 'ol Pennwood, everything for $15 including 54 channels of cable TV
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 02:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Campground Rates, A Little Pricey?

Greetings Aaron!

When traveling with a group of friends several years ago, there were three adults and three teenagers in my Overlander. When we stayed at one of the larger chain campgrounds near a major tourist attraction (theme park), we paid an additional $2.50 per camper for each person over two per coach. We didn't really object to the surcharge since the park offered numerous free activities of interest to both the adults and teenagers. During my travels, I have noted the practice of charging for coaches with more than two occupants in several areas - - it does, however, seem to be more common near large cities or where popular tourist attractions are nearby.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 12:40 AM   #6
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Come to think of it, the state and county campgrounds really are cheaper, and often more family friendly than private ore corporate type campgrounds. Most of the private ones in and around California do offer more services, but are also prone to charging more for the "incidentials". Sometimes my wife and I prefer the ones that sock it to you up front, but then offer everything under the sun for no extra charge. Others have better basic rates, but nickel and dime you for every move you make.
And then there is Baja California, where you can camp smack dap on the Sea of Cortez, for a few bucks a night....
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 09:24 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Campground prices

We went to the Northeast this summer. We stayed at private campgrounds and one state park. The highest price we paid was $40.44 per night (including 10% discount) at Aquia Pines Campground on Rte 1 in Stafford. The trailers are packed like sardines and the entrance is one of the most dangerous I have encountered. It is a the bottom of a short hill and the traffic comes over the top at 60mph leaving little reaction time for the hapless camper.

Generally we stayed at Good Sam approved campgrounds including the Prince William Travel Trailer Village on Rte 234 just off I-95in Prince William county, Virginia. That cost us $98 for 4 nights. Keep in mind this is about 30 miles south of Washington DC.

In general we paid $20-25 for private campgrounds. The state park in South Carolina was $15.

We have stayed at Wal Mart parking lots twice. Both times I was a little uneasy but it is nice to know a big corporation makes their facilities available to the RV community. Such uncommon generosity is hard to find these days.
Vic Smith
Director Florida State Rally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 09:36 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
During a forced career change my former boss and I seriously consided buying a camp ground. What we found that in the situations where you are seasonally driven, the income is not great.

The comments we got from many owners were in the realm of "you live like paupers, you retire like kings". This statement attributing much to the value of the land and facility only coming to bear when the property is sold.

When you consider, the length of season, the occupancy rate, is this a destination site, weekends only, etc., the cost of your overhead, including utilities, insurance, staff and special facilities, plus the cost of keeping the place up, repairs, vandalizm, etc, the bottom line its a pretty marginal existance for many owners.

So while we may consider some sites pricey, you may have to consider that these folks are making a living just like you and me and that price they charge isn't all gravy to them.

After looking at the different factors and campgrounds all over the country, we both decided that the amount of debt we would have to carry plus income derrived would put us both into an existance that would require a second job.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote