Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Campground Near Pensacola FL Recommendations

Hey incredibly smart group of Airstreamers! (Sucked right up there, didn't I?) I've got a bit of training to attend in Pensacola the beginning of March, and was wondering what your favorite campground recommendations would be within 30 minutes of Pensacola.

I always wondered why people started these threads, and now I know. It's REALLY hard to tell anything about a campground from their website...

-Red, looking for a winner...
Old 01-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The Pensacola unit of the WBCCI club has a park called Mystic Springs just north of Pensacola. I usually stay at the Navy's Camp Ground or the Gulf Islands National Park out on the Island whenever I visit to area.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I just returned from there and stayed at Fort Pickens State Park (Pensacola)it was very nice with beautiful beaches.You have to reserve ahead to get in.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
We just stayed at Santa Rosa RV in Navarre, a few miles east of Pensacola. It's newer and clean, right on Santa Rosa Sound and close to the beach. FYI, it might fit your needs. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I also like Fort Pickens. Have returned there 5 or 6 times, with a couple of long breaks. It was hit by 2 hurricanes and was closed for several years. Went back Las spring. I have always liked the area.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:01 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Jacksons Gap , Alabama
When we visit the Naval Air Museum, we stay at the Big Lagoon St. Pk. It is rustic with a lot of vegetation. E/W at each site and a dump station. About seven miles to the Naval Air Station gate. Depending on how long you will be there, the shower facilities are good if you don't want to empty tanks. The entrance is right off of a main highway, but the campground is about a mile back in a secluded area. Check the campsite length before you reserve. Some sites are short.
Frank McFee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Red, we will be at Fort Pickens February 2,3,4. Drop by site 24.

Al & Patty, thinking shrimp...

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. http://Airgo.blogspot.com

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #8
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Thanks for the invite... It's just a tad far for a drop by though. Let me know how you like it. It will probably be either there or Big Lagoon...

-Red, thinking shrimp now also...
Old 01-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Grayton SP and Topsail SP are both great locations. I believe at Grayton that only some sites have full hookups (or at least water/electric), but an awesome location - sort of close to Pensacola, depending on your definition of close.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:45 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
These are all good suggestions. Two more are Perdido Cove - it is diagonally across from Big Lagoon in Perdido Key side. Private campground so more expensive but has nice amenities and waterfront sites on intercoastal. There is also a nice private campground about a mile off Pine Forest Rd at i-10 with the creative name of Pensacola RV Park but no special charm to it. Depending on where you need to be in Pensacola some of these can be a drive. Mystic Springs is probably 45-60 minutes to downtown pensacola, Ft Pickens is at least 30 (takes 15 just to get back to pensacola beach bridge). Pensacola rv park, big lagoon and Perdido cove are all 15-20 from downtown. I can recommend places to eat and drink if interested. There is also a nice campground on NAS if you have privileges.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:47 AM   #11
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Hey Red, we travel to the Ft Walton/Destin area usually once a year. When we were there last Thanksgiving week, we made the trip over to the Naval Aviation Museum in P'cola one day right before Turkey Day. Could not believe how much traffic is in that area nowadays. Might want to ask about drive times wherever you stay.

Have a great trip.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We stopped once at the Mystic Springs AS park. It was in Feb., and when we arrived there was no park host around - just a box to leave payment. There was just one other couple present camping at the time.

As I recall, the electricity was on, but no water (or maybe the other way around!)

With these factors, coupled with the fact that the park was a little more remote than we had anticipated, we just stayed the one night then moved to the Pensacola RV park. Our reason for being there was mainly to visit Pensacola anyway.

Not sure if our experience was typical at that time of year or not.

A nice enough spot, especially when you just want to get away to a quiet place, but on that trip, the Pensacola RV park worked out better for us.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Have been to the Fort Pickens campground at Gulf Island several times, and it is very nice.

It is a drive in, but if you have a Senior or other pass, the price can't be beat at $13 a night.

Have been all week in the Davis Bayou campground at the MS branch of Gulf Island in Ocean Springs, will be at the Fort Pickens site beginning Feb 1st for a week.

The Davis Bayou campground has stayed close to full, but not another Airstream anywhere.

Looking forward to seeing Al & Patty and any others who may be at Fort Pickens.

Maggie
Old 01-30-2015, 09:02 AM   #14
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Thanks everybody for all the responses. Trying to keep it within 30 minutes of the airport without sitting in the middle of town. Probably going for Big Lagoon, unless something changes. got a few more to check out, then making my reservations this afternoon. Really appreciate all the response!

-Red, info leach...
Old 01-30-2015, 11:23 AM   #15
To Gulls

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Pensacola , Florida
Hey Red, did you see my reply? Still learning how to navigate the site. Anyway, To Gulls here....we met at Canopener!
We are staying at Pensacola Beach RV resort directly on Santa Rosa Sound through mid-March. Fantastic beach spot and probably 18 minutes to airport! We'll see you if you decide to stay here!
To Gulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #16
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by To Gulls View Post
Hey Red, did you see my reply? Still learning how to navigate the site. Anyway, To Gulls here....we met at Canopener!
We are staying at Pensacola Beach RV resort directly on Santa Rosa Sound through mid-March. Fantastic beach spot and probably 18 minutes to airport! We'll see you if you decide to stay here!
Well, crud, no, I didn't see your reply. Dang, I just finished making my reservations at Ft Pickens. Mrs Red, for some weird reason, decided not to come with me on this one. Said she didn't want to be stuck all day there by herself while I'm in training. All day by yourself at the beach... boy, would that suck or what? I was going to go to PBRV Resort until she bailed on me, then decided to hit Ft Pickens because I could fish the bay side in the afternoons, since I got no one to stare at all evening... Taking the buggy with me to cruise Pickens while I'm at it. Might as well have fun.

Wish I'd have seen your post now... I made the reservations on my work card and they charge to change them, and getting charged for nothing makes the boss agitated. And who needs people with power mad at them. I'll swing in one afternoon if y'all are going to be around and it's cool with y'all.

Y'all come by Pickens if you want. My cooler's always open... Heck, I'd even share a burger with y'all, 'cause I'm nice that way.

I'm still hoping to talk Shelly into coming with me, but we're stuck at Pickens now, dang it...

-Red, solo Streaming for one trip...
Old 01-30-2015, 05:20 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
I can't add Fort Pickens is great. We stayed at Fort Pickens and loved it! Most beautiful beaches that I have ever seen.
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #18
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Thanks Ed! It's Ft Pickens now any way we slice it, or I pay forty bucks out of my pocket for cancellations... which just ain't going to happen. It does help to hear how much others have/are enjoying it. Wishing I was going out next week by some of the messages I've received. It's like a mini rally going at Pickens. Alas, work still requires me to show up, even if I don't have to work that much.

-Red, using "alas" for the first time in a post...
Old 01-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Hey Red,
We'll be returning to Pickens the beginning of March. Stop by.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:52 PM   #20
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Awesome! I'll be there the 9th-11th. That compatible with y'all?

-Red, looking forward to it!!!