Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #21
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I'll second the Welcome - National Naval Aviation Museum Well worth seeing if you have the time to do it. Just on the outskirts of the city, IIRC.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #22
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Campground Near Pensacola FL Recommendations

As an Air Force veteran, I always wonder what the heck is the Navy doing flying planes??? We didn't go around making boats in the Air Force... Doesn't "Navy" just infer that it will be boats, and not airplanes?

I'm planning on hitting the museum. Would be such a waste to be there and not see it. I thrive on all things aviation. I fly radio control, was in the USAF, and work for the FAA now... Not a big fan of flying with someone else at the controls though. Yeah, I'm a control freak...

My apologies to the U.S. Navy. Thank you squids for all of your dedication and hard work. I chose not to go Navy strictly because of the time on the boat. I get seasick. REALLY seasick... Most of the guys I work with are ex Navy, and your schools are top notch! That boat thing though...

-Red, puking while he thinks about it...
Old 01-30-2015, 08:59 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Hey Red,
Be there through the 12th, site 30 something.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #24
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
SWEET! See y'all there. I'll provide the steaks. Let's grill this thing... Might even provide a couple Yeungling along with the dead cow. Might... Like there's a possibility that there will be steaks without beer. I'll PM you on here when this gets closer.

Mini rally at Pickens, March 9-11... To Gulls, y'all need to come over for steak night. This could be mini epic...

-Red, glad he took this training now...
Old 01-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #25
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Wait, science teacher? You don't have a "Breaking Bad" thing going here, do you?

-Red, slightly worried...
Old 01-31-2015, 03:05 AM   #26
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
If this works...lots of campground photos and info from Port StJoe to GSP in Mobile
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:11 AM   #27
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37772
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:46 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
We're at Blackwater River State Park right now which is about 30 minutes or so from Pensacola. Immaculate smaller park with only 30 sites. We are in site #7 with 30/50 amp service, water, and sewer. The restrooms are excellent. We just came from Topsail Hill State Park which I thought was one of the nicest parks we've been to in Florida. Blackwater River almost equals Topsail. The river is the big feature here that is the only sand bottom pristine river left in the U.S. We took a nice 11 mile canoe ride down the river and the cost was $50 for the two of us which included the canoe and portage. What it didn't cover was the phone that one of us dropped in the river but that's another story. The park is in the Blackwater River State Forrest which is typical Florida landscape with lots of pines, palmetto, and various trees. Beautiful. Which brings me to this question. Has anyone ever had anything "cracked" on the roof of Airstream from a falling pine cone? They really made a thud when hitting the roof.
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:46 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
As an Air Force veteran, I always wonder what the heck is the Navy doing flying planes??? We didn't go around making boats in the Air Force... Doesn't "Navy" just infer that it will be boats, and not airplanes?

I'm planning on hitting the museum. Would be such a waste to be there and not see it. I thrive on all things aviation. I fly radio control, was in the USAF, and work for the FAA now... Not a big fan of flying with someone else at the controls though. Yeah, I'm a control freak...

My apologies to the U.S. Navy. Thank you squids for all of your dedication and hard work. I chose not to go Navy strictly because of the time on the boat. I get seasick. REALLY seasick... Most of the guys I work with are ex Navy, and your schools are top notch! That boat thing though...

-Red, puking while he thinks about it...
Red, little known facts.

The Army has more boats than the Navy,
The Navy has more aircraft than the Air Force,
And the Air Force has more golf courses than both the Navy and the Army combined.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:55 AM   #30
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Red, little known facts.

The Army has more boats than the Navy,
The Navy has more aircraft than the Air Force,
And the Air Force has more golf courses than both the Navy and the Army combined.

I knew about the golf courses. We played quite a few rounds in boot camp. Yes, I said in boot camp. It was more of a fall retreat for me. My dad worked me harder than the Air Force could ever imagine... The first T at Lackland AFB is awesome, if it hasn't changed since '82...

-Red, shooting in the low 120's...
Old 02-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
Red
If you decide to eat out, I like peg leg pete's on pensacola beach. Sidelines is a sports bar with good wings. Downtown pensacola has Airstreams setup at foot of palafox as al fresca dining but haven't eaten there. I like fish house, global grill and darma blue. Mcguires is also good for steaks, burgers and traditional Irish fare. There is a brewery on Seville square downtown.
Jarrod
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Army may have more boats but not ships. It all about the size.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:05 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Twobikes and we have had a lovely visit here at the Fort Pickens campground, and had lunch at Peg Leg Pete's yesterday. Yummy!

One of the things about rallies.....you get lots of moments with lots of people, not a great deal of time with anyone.

Have really enjoyed spending some quality time with Al and Patti.

Maggie
Old 02-05-2015, 06:55 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod White View Post
Red
If you decide to eat out, I like peg leg pete's on pensacola beach. Sidelines is a sports bar with good wings. Downtown pensacola has Airstreams setup at foot of palafox as al fresca dining but haven't eaten there. I like fish house, global grill and darma blue. Mcguires is also good for steaks, burgers and traditional Irish fare. There is a brewery on Seville square downtown.
Jarrod
We enjoyed McGuires when we were at Pensacola. Will be staying at Topsail later this month and I see they have a McGuires also in Destin, so that will be on the list!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbroedlow View Post
We're at Blackwater River State Park right now which is about 30 minutes or so from Pensacola. Immaculate smaller park with only 30 sites. We are in site #7 with 30/50 amp service, water, and sewer. The restrooms are excellent. We just came from Topsail Hill State Park which I thought was one of the nicest parks we've been to in Florida. Blackwater River almost equals Topsail. The river is the big feature here that is the only sand bottom pristine river left in the U.S. We took a nice 11 mile canoe ride down the river and the cost was $50 for the two of us which included the canoe and portage. What it didn't cover was the phone that one of us dropped in the river but that's another story. The park is in the Blackwater River State Forrest which is typical Florida landscape with lots of pines, palmetto, and various trees. Beautiful. Which brings me to this question. Has anyone ever had anything "cracked" on the roof of Airstream from a falling pine cone? They really made a thud when hitting the roof.
I know what you mean about those gigantic pine cones...very sharp points and heavy. On our previous molded fiberglass trailer I cut a sheet of plexiglass to clamp on top of our solar panel to help protect it. Some of the biggest are at Hunting Island State Park. Recently my wife was hit on the head with one and had a bump the size of a quail egg. Fortunately she had a cap on or I think she would have been cut. We always try to park our rig accordingly. Keep your eyes on the sky.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #36
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbroedlow View Post

Hey! Don't know if you've ever tried it, but the Ichetucknee River is a nice one to canoe over this way. Well, the top half of it is anyways. The first half is all state park, so it's very nice. Crystal clear, all spring fed... The bottom half is has quite a few houses along it, but it's still a nice paddle... In the winter... In the summer the thing is completely covered with people in inner tubes (the modern day equivalent to an inner tube anyways). The state used to have a guided trip down the river. I have a friend that is a biologist for the state, and he made it an incredibly interesting trip. They also had a moonlight paddle trip. Not sure if they still do either one, but it's a good trip if they do. And, they guarantee that you won't lose your phone if you drop it overboard. Wink wink, nudge nudge...

Have never lost anything on one of my campers due to a pine cone, but I could see where one of the big ones, especially when green, could make a dent...

It was nice meeting y'all at Canopener. See you on the road sometime!

-Red, uneducated in the ways of the pine cone...
Old 02-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
Brian
Mcguires is always a good plan. There many fine dining options near topsail. Red bar in grayton beach has a fun atmosphere and good food. I also like basmati's between topsail and grayton and cafe 30a in sea grove. The upstairs bar at Buddy and ally's in seaside is great place to enjoy a drink, beach views and casual food. I like back porch in destin for casual seafood and beach view. Another broken egg on 98 near park is good for breakfast and sandwiches. This only scratches surface and I haven't been over as much in last few years so probably several other good new places. Jarrod
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod White View Post
Brian
Mcguires is always a good plan. There many fine dining options near topsail. Red bar in grayton beach has a fun atmosphere and good food. I also like basmati's between topsail and grayton and cafe 30a in sea grove. The upstairs bar at Buddy and ally's in seaside is great place to enjoy a drink, beach views and casual food. I like back porch in destin for casual seafood and beach view. Another broken egg on 98 near park is good for breakfast and sandwiches. This only scratches surface and I haven't been over as much in last few years so probably several other good new places. Jarrod
Jarrod

Many thanks, I will certainly make a note of those spots to possibly give some a try!

Every time I plan a trip itinerary, I make a list of local attractions, museums, antiques malls, flea markets, special events, restaurants, pubs, etc. in each spot we intend to stop, by getting people's suggestions, internet research, etc.

Usually we do put the list to good use when we travel, although only get to see a fraction of the things I have listed!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:28 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Aubrey , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1423196661.627350.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	231812 Be sure and swing through Hwy 399 between Pensacola beach & Navarre Beach. You can park super close to the water.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
78black is offline   Reply With Quote