Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2016, 09:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
El Paso , Texas
California Coast over Memorial Day?!?!

My husband and I along with our two children, 5 & 3 will be heading to Disneyland in our Airstream the week before Memorial Day (22nd-25th). We are trying to get a last minute vacation in before my husband deploys. I'm having a hard time, for when we're done with Disney, finding a campsite along the coast that isn't already booked for Memorial Day weekend. We'd be more than willing to boondock as long as its pretty and relaxing and within 3-4 hours north or south of LA. Does anyone have any suggestions?
tcasiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:46 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Memorial Day weekend can be rough, but last year I actually found a couple of places along the coast. One in Oxnard and one in Santa Barbara.

There was actually a recent thread by someone who was looking for recommendations around Santa Barbara.

A few options you can try: www.reserveamerica.com (use Ventura,CA as the search location and then you'll get locations as they radiate outwards from there.

Ocean Mesa at El Capitan is a great campground (private)
Flying Flags in Buellton
Santa Barbara Sunrise RV

The last one seems to have availability. I stayed there last year and it wasn't glamorous, but clean and functional. It also gets you in the location you'd like to be
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
El Paso , Texas
Thank you! We're not very familiar with coastal California but love to camp and welcome any advice.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Since you used the term "deploys," I assume your husband is military? I wonder if Camp Pendleton has any accommodations for active duty military you could take advantage of?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:28 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Gilbert , Arizona
Thank you for the helpful information. A cool ocean breeze is mighty appealing when dealing with the Arizona summer heat!!
holmesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Great advice about Camp Pendleton & that should be your 1st priority if available.
You could also try San Onofre State Beach but that looks to be booked as well. Camping in Southern California without early reservations can be challenging at best (most of the State Parks get reserved 6 months in advance). You may try some of the RV Parks in Mission Bay.
good luck!
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:43 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
There's also Seabreeze at Seal Beach, which is a military-only campground: http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/ca...-at-seal-beach
Old 04-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #8
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Kirk Creek has 2-3 walk in sites and the scenery is spectacular. No hookups, but simply one of the best scenery along Highway 1. Mid week might be your best chance though. You can also try some campground in Big Sur they usually post "full" signs but it does not hurt to pull in and to ask.

Standards at CA state parks are low as facilities deteriorate - quite unfortunate.
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Paso Robles , California
Close to Disneyland and Long Beach use Naval Weapons Center in Seal Beach which is home to Sea Breeze RV Park, a superb full hookup RV park for current and past military only. Call the Park directly because central reservations will show non - availability. Outstanding facilities and central location to So Cal attractions. Good luck!
PasoArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Paso Robles , California
On the Central Coast, take a look at San Simeon State Park, south of Kirk Creek mentioned above and the trecherous curves of Hiway 1. Dry camping but water and dump station avaiable. Easy access to Hearst Catle, the elephant seals, Morro Bay, Pismo Beach, and the Paso Robles wine country. Space is almost always available. Have fun!
PasoArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:50 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Long beach , California
Beach camping in So Cal requires lots of planning 6 months in advance. Most sites are gone within a few minutes on the first available date / time. Note, if your plans do change, I have a site at beautiful Doheny SB on May 26 - 28 that I am not going to use...we are staying at San Onofre during that time. If interested, contact me. Buchanan1993@verizon.net
Debucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
The busy nature of parks along the whole west coast is not to be under appreciated.
I do hope that Holmezat is able to find something that works for their visit.

In traveling along the coast for most of last summer this I found that most parks were indeed booked well in advance. In looking more closely at the situation it turns out that some folks will book multiple places to keep their options open till they deside where they do want to stay.
Unfortunately the spot that they have booked but chose not to use will sit empty because it's booked and the reservation system is not well set up to deal with this apparently common situation. Nor can the park staff reassign those spots cause they are booked.

Perhaps I took this selfish behavior personally cause I hadn't done this sort of preplaning and kept looking into parks that had spaces open but were booked full. What is it in people that will book multiple spots at busy times then leave some empty when they know how many other campers would like to have a spot to camp at..

I guess You can tell that I am still muttering under my breath over this.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:05 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
El Paso , Texas
I sent you an email and wanted to make sure you received it and it didn't go to spam folder.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:06 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
El Paso , Texas
I emailed Debucha
Old 04-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Debucha, I'd like to thank you for offering up your extra park booking, very considerate of you.

I do wish that the multipul booking situation could be resolved so that the very sought after park spaces could be available to others rather than just sitting empty.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
The busy nature of parks along the whole west coast is not to be under appreciated.
I do hope that Holmezat is able to find something that works for their visit.

In traveling along the coast for most of last summer this I found that most parks were indeed booked well in advance. In looking more closely at the situation it turns out that some folks will book multiple places to keep their options open till they deside where they do want to stay.
Unfortunately the spot that they have booked but chose not to use will sit empty because it's booked and the reservation system is not well set up to deal with this apparently common situation. Nor can the park staff reassign those spots cause they are booked.

Perhaps I took this selfish behavior personally cause I hadn't done this sort of preplaning and kept looking into parks that had spaces open but were booked full. What is it in people that will book multiple spots at busy times then leave some empty when they know how many other campers would like to have a spot to camp at..

I guess You can tell that I am still muttering under my breath over this.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Cheers Richard
It is a frustration for those of us who live here and sometimes just want to go away for a couple of days without extensive planning. Unfortunately, the reservations are sought after by those who books a long time in advance.

It's funny that there's a separate thread about the costs and annoyances of using ReserveAmerica.com with some users who never book in advance. For those of us out in sunny Southern California, that's not a good option.

That said, the system doesn't give a huge incentive to cancel. They collect and sit on the booking fee as well some additional costs. When you consider the cost of a campsite isn't all that expensive to start with, I can see how some folks are booking multiple locations for the same period.

It would be nice if there could be some better system designed around the whole process. Ultimately, I'm not going to drag my trailer out of storage, drive an hour or two in traffic to risk finding a campsite completely full. If I don't have a reservation, I'm not going and that does limit me sometimes.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
El Paso , Texas
Gone are the days when you can hop in your car/rv and do a last minute trip. We had a similar problem last year when camping in Colorado. My husband got some last minute time off of work and we struggled to find an open spot, even though there were plenty of open spots that had been reserved with no shows. Given the nature of my husbands work (military), we have really struggled these past 15 yrs to plan vacations ahead of time. We're never sure when he'll have time off or where we'll be stationed. I wish there was a place online where people could post open spots that they aren't using and get connected. That being said...if anyone has or knows of an open spot over Memorial Day this year on California coast, my husband (active duty soldier) and I would be so grateful. We're in desperate need of some family time before he deploys!
Old 04-30-2016, 12:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I found this looking for something in the Santa Barbara/Oxnard area

http://get.dodlodging.net/propertys/...-Point--Mugu--

Also try Jalama Beach...N of SB past the three that an earlier post listed. On the coast near Lompoc.

http://www.jalamabeach.com/

http://www.kcet.org/living/travel/we...ama-beach.html This is a SB county park and a great place to stay.

Jalama is directly adjacent to Vandenberg AFB...may they have sites similar to the above link at Pt. Mugu.

Good luck.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

I don't know the name of it but there's a campground in San Diego that is military only and is beautiful. It may be in Coronado if that's a town but it's on the same road but down a bit from the famous Coronado hotel. Beautiful beach area. Wishing you good luck in finding a spot for your family.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
If you are completely shut out at the coast you might want to check out Lake Tahoe. Lots to do for you and your husband and the kids. Good luck,

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote