Old 08-04-2017, 09:57 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Thanks for the spread sheet thread.

Makes me feel good about tossing money into my Airstream renovation. Now to get it done before my kids, aged 7 and 9, are to old. The renovation is also enjoyment- sort of, some days Another value added asset on the spreadsheet.

Have fun out there everyone.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Throw away the pencil.
You can stay home cheaper. (If that's the goal)
When I bought my MH, I didn't keep track of expenses. If I did I would have discovered that I could stay at the Four Seasons, and take a limo everywhere I went and save money.
However, the part that doesn't translate on paper, the fun I had, the beautiful places I saw, the friends I made, and the feeling of having your own clothes in the locker, your food in the fridge and the sleeping in the same bed at night was worth every penny.
Best of all, the memories that will never fade. Adventure.
Do you want to be Richie Rich or Indiana Jones?

Old 08-04-2017, 11:08 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Throw away the pencil.
When I bought my MH, I didn't keep track of expenses. If I did I would have discovered that I could stay at the Four Seasons, and take a limo everywhere I went and save money.
However, the part that doesn't translate on paper, the fun I had, the beautiful places I saw, the friends I made, and the feeling of having your own clothes in the locker, your food in the fridge and the sleeping in the same bed at night was worth every penny.
Hi

You don't get to watch the golf cart races at the Four Seasons

Sitting here doing absolutely nothing in the middle of the woods Dog is happy, life is tough

Bob
Old 08-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I love this thread. You could make the same argument about anything that you buy. Clothes really only need to protect you from the elements or fit with a work/social requirement. But we buy clothes that we like. My house really only needs a bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen, but it's much bigger than that because I like it. I could have found a cheaper house that served the purpose of shelter, but I like my current neighbourhood. A car really only needs to get me from point A to point B, but I like heated seats and satelite radio so I buy a more expensive car.

A travel trailer really only needs (insert needs here), but I like the Airstream. It makes me happy. To most people, an Airstream is frivolous and not worth the extra money. They are free to purchase what makes them happy.

Having said that.....I too got out the spread sheet. In the end, I justified buying the AS via resale value. I could buy some other used trailer for $10,000, and in 5 years it would be worth $5,000. Or I could buy the (used) AS and in 5 years it's worth $8,000 less than I paid for it. So the net effect is that the AS cost me $3,000 more than a conventional trailer. Totally worth it to me.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #33
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
All great thoughts here. Lest anyone think I live life via a spreadsheet, I agree the intangible benefits were priceless. Agree we didnt need a fancy trailer to achieve these but the AS has truly inspired us to make new adventures a more regular part of our lives, and vs the other options, we actually did more together, than we would have thought we would.

The math is actually simple.

X-nights over Y-years.

My folks had their Silver Streak 27-years. Two tow vehicles which were otherwise my Dads daily driver.

Spending on the wrong tow vehicle (bad specification for solo commute duty; and inherent safety) is a worse sin.

Otherwise it's trading TT every time there's some change that's really minor in circumstance. (Age of children, etc).

One can't really go wrong with an approximately 28' TT. Fine for family, and years later great for full timing.

Buy this TT when it's a few years old, make any changes, and if kept with closed plus temp & humidity controlled storage it'll almost not age.

That last bit is what is NOT figured as an ownership cost. A garage.

All the other entry lines are fluff. (Anyone's "analysis").

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #34
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

Buy this TT when it's a few years old, make any changes, and if kept with closed plus temp & humidity controlled storage it'll almost not age.

That last bit is what is NOT figured as an ownership cost. A garage.

All the other entry lines are fluff. (Anyone's "analysis").

Hi

I certainly will not argue against a full up proper garage for storage. Even a simple "roof only" storage area is a big step up from storage out in the sun, wind, rain, snow, hail, and sleet. Take a look at an older AS and note where the clear coat dies first. Roof only still can be tough on the tires, so it's certainly not perfect.

Bob
Old 08-05-2017, 01:28 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Throw away the pencil.
Where we like to go there are no Four Seasons hotels and those cabins, motels etc. that are in the area I generally wouldn't stay at. The Airstream is totally worth opening the door and taking your dog for a walk on a path in the woods or on the beach.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #36
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
Where we like to go there are no Four Seasons hotels and those cabins, motels etc. that are in the area I generally wouldn't stay at. The Airstream is totally worth opening the door and taking your dog for a walk on a path in the woods or on the beach.
Hi

To be fair, there are places I go that *do* have very nice accommodations. Last time I checked one of them, the "standard rate" was up around $450 a night. Yes, they probably negotiate that down to "only" $330 a night .... Do your "AS per night" math at that price plus the $100 to $150 you'll spend on dinner ... yikes .... Canadian or US dollars don't matter in this case, it's a lot of money. If you have kids, at some point you *will* be getting a second (or third) room for them. Chuck that in if you wish. They also eat dinner ....

Bob
Old 08-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #37
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Well for about 15 years I had a fancy job that had me livin outta airplanes and fancy hotels all over the world and let me tell ya I would take my airstream over any of those places any day, even if they were free.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:27 AM   #38
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
But I will say my kid was a great traveler, cause he traveled so darn much. He was never a problem, he could pitch his tent anywhere and be asleep in minutes and have it all packed up in the mornin before his mom and I were ready to roll. Teach em young, I say.